Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does autopark really need a car on both sides of the parking spot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always thought auto park needs another car on both ends of the parking spot to recognize the spot, so I was surprised when "P" showed up recently at a parking spot in which you could easily fit two cars. I expected this to be too big to be recognized as a parking spot. But the "P" was there so I thought it probably recognized it as one big parking spot rather than two and it will probably park in the center, because it always centers the car in the spot. But to my surprise, it left enough space behind me for another car.

Unfortunately I couldn't stand back far enough to make the whole situation fit in one picture, so I had to take two, but I think you can clearly see that my car (the black Model S) is much closer to the dark green car in front of it than to the white Model S on the other side:

IMG_20170216_175449.png
IMG_20170216_175502.png

So either autopark does not need a car on each side of the parking spot, or it is now smart enough to not park in the center if the spot is big enough for two cars. Either way, I'm impressed.

AP1, 2.52.22

It still requires 2 cars, otherwise it doesn't know it's a spot. There's probably a maximum distance that it measures before it stops, I don't know what that number is or if it's in the manual.

I would've parked closer to the other Tesla ;)

Reactions: rfmurphy81
It still requires 2 cars, otherwise it doesn't know it's a spot. There's probably a maximum distance that it measures before it stops, I don't know what that number is or if it's in the manual.

I would've parked closer to the other Tesla ;)

I've had my car auto park between another car (fore) and a curb bulge (aft). I was really surprised this worked.

Bruce.

PS. I would have parked closer to the other Tesla too.

If you had that much room did you even need autopsy?
???
:eek:o_O:confused:
Fortunately I did NOT need an autopsy! ROFL

Auto park certainly wasn't necessary to get into a big spot like this, but as I wrote I was surprised the "P" showed up and curious what would happen, so I tried. I often use auto park, actually whenever I can, if needed or not. I just find it fascinating how the car maneuvers itself into a parking spot.

Last edited:
There's probably a maximum distance that it measures before it stops, I don't know what that number is or if it's in the manual.

Oh sweet merciful crap. I know I'm a nerd for reading my owner's manual cover to cover while waiting for delivery of my X... but so many forums posts could be answered by reading the manual. :)

I mean, the touch screen has the manual built in so it's arguably even easier than posting here if you've ever had 5 minutes to kill while waiting in your car.

"Autopark detects potential perpendicular parking spaces that are at least 9.5 feet (2.9 meters) wide with a vehicle parked on each side. Autopark detects parallel parking spaces that are at least 20 feet (6 meters), but less than 49 feet (15 meters) long. Autopark does not operate on angled parking spaces."

I recently discovered if i press the button on the gear stalk (typically used to press once to put into park) two times the auto park feature pops up immediately. This is with an AP1.0 car. I don't know how reliable it is, but as with all things related to sensors. It will assuredly have its limitations. Be warned when utilizing this feature.

Autopark also does need two cars, or two obstacles, to park in a perpendicular space. I have found that it will sometimes park between a car and a pillar in a parking garage, for example, if the post is a large enough target for the ultrasonics. It also sometimes volunteers to park my car in my own parking lot space if there is a car on one side, even though my space is at the end of a row. It must be detecting either the berm at the edge of the space (asphalt curb), or the post on which my Wall Connector is mounted.

I recently discovered if i press the button on the gear stalk (typically used to press once to put into park) two times the auto park feature pops up immediately. This is with an AP1.0 car. I don't know how reliable it is, but as with all things related to sensors. It will assuredly have its limitations. Be warned when utilizing this feature.
Isn't that summon? Double clicking the stalk opens summon

Autopark also does need two cars, or two obstacles, to park in a perpendicular space. I have found that it will sometimes park between a car and a pillar in a parking garage, for example, if the post is a large enough target for the ultrasonics. It also sometimes volunteers to park my car in my own parking lot space if there is a car on one side, even though my space is at the end of a row. It must be detecting either the berm at the edge of the space (asphalt curb), or the post on which my Wall Connector is mounted.
Be careful. There was someone else in the forum who did the autopark between a column and a car, and his car hit the column.

Autopark can work between two garbage cans also, it doesn't actually care if it's cars, but it needs two obstacles (yes I know I used cars in the first paragraph, I really meant it can't park without 2 things on either side) to work properly.

I thought the screen displayed auto-park or auto-parking forward or backward depending upon which direction you move the stalk.
Auto-park in a straight line [forward or back] is summon, right?

And I never tried moving the stalk, there are buttons on the 17" that you press that tell the car if you want it to go forward or back after you get out of the car.

Why outside the line? This parking would be fined where I live. Doesn't the car realize it's too wide for the spot?

No, the car is unaware of (or at least ignores) any painted lines. If the two cars on each end or on each side are reasonably close together, it places itself halfway between, regardless of where the lines are that separate the spaces. In the case of curb parking (as in the photos), if the space is long enough, it will try to position itself a reasonable distance from the car ahead and a certain distance for the curb, again regardless of the lines. (As an aside, curb detection is not foolproof, and I once got some curb rash when the rear wheel struck the curb when using Autopark.)

Yes, car is totally not seeing the line markings. Auto park is using the ultrasonics - that is SOUND waves. Which requires somewhat significant physical objects for the sound waves to bounce off of, that is also facing the sensors in such a way that the reflected sound waves can return. Paint down on the asphalt? Not so much.

Backup camera has no connection to Autopilot (AP1), and your radar and MobilEye camera is facing the wrong direction and probably not programmed to even recognize a parking lot.