Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does basically every owner here use HomeLink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using Homelink since I got my Roadster in 2011. Previous cars didn't have it. On the Model 3, I had some hiccups getting it set up, but it works perfectly, though the small buttons on the screen are a bit awkward. I don't use geofencing because I'd rather decide when to open and close. Compared to the remote that came with the house, Homelink is no better except that I don't have to keep the remote in the car.

I've been using Homelink since I got my Roadster in 2011. Previous cars didn't have it. On the Model 3, I had some hiccups getting it set up, but it works perfectly, though the small buttons on the screen are a bit awkward. I don't use geofencing because I'd rather decide when to open and close. Compared to the remote that came with the house, Homelink is no better except that I don't have to keep the remote in the car.
For me, having the door automatically open or close IS what is better than just using a remote. Having to hit a screen button isn't much different from using a remote, as you say. I find Homelink on auto quite reliable and convenient.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
This year we're selling two houses and buying(bought) a third, so at one point in time, I needed 5 different Homelink buttons, so I had to go back to juggling two remote openers. What a PIA.

I had to disable auto-open at one house because there's a main road nearby, and sometimes even just driving by my house (and not turning onto the street the house is on) would trigger the Homelink to open the garage. One time I didn't even notice, and when I came back two hours later, my garage door was open, and Homelink closed it. Now I'm glad they added the audio alert so at least I can tell if it's sending the signal.

If the houses have the same opener manufacturer and technology, you could sync one homelink button to multiple openers. For example, I set up homelink at my house. At my parents house, instead of adding another homelink, I simply pushed the learn button on my parents door opener to learn the existing homelink I have set up. I can't use auto open at both houses, but I don't have to program additional home link buttons. I think the purpose of multiple home link buttons is for multiple garage doors and gates at one location, otherwise one homelink can be started among multiple locations by training the opener to that homelink.

My auto open allows me to change the distance from which it activated. I think it places a GPS location from the spot you programmed the homelink, and then you can specify distance from that spot to activate auto open. You might just need to tweak it so it doesn't auto open as you drive by

Reactions: DriveMe
I agree.. I use auto-open and auto-close at our new house and it works 100% of the time to auto-open, and 90% of the time for auto-close. Luckily, I back out of the garage, so I can see when/if the auto-close doesn't trigger. I'm not sure what makes it decide not to auto-close.

This is exactly the same behavior mine does. Auto-open is 100%, but auto-close doesn't work a small percentage of the time and I can't figure out why.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
This is exactly the same behavior mine does. Auto-open is 100%, but auto-close doesn't work a small percentage of the time and I can't figure out why.

Maybe it's occasionally sending the Close signal after it's out of range??? This could maybe happen if there's a lag either in the response of the GPS, or the response of the Homelink to the signal from the GPS??? If you're moving toward the garage, the lag would mean a stronger signal to the door opener, but if you're moving away, a lag would result in a weaker signal.

I have no problem stopping the car in my driveway to close the door before pulling out; and when I'm pulling in, I'm going slow enough it's not a problem to reach over to the screen.

Compared to the remote that came with the house, Homelink is no better except that I don't have to keep the remote in the car.

The remote for my garage is a nice rattle box. I had it on my visor in a previous car because I hadn’t programmed the home link and spent weeks trying to nail down a dash rattle that turned out to be my remote. o_O So I love not having it in my car.

• Funny
Reactions: dgpcolorado
Homelink by license only allows three codes to be stored in any car. That makes sense in every other car where there are three physical buttons. But damn, I really wish the Tesla supported more than three, since it's all just software and data. They could support unlimited Homelink entries if they were just allowed to. I have no idea why Homelink limits the license to just three per vehicle. This year we're selling two houses and buying(bought) a third, so at one point in time, I needed 5 different Homelink buttons, so I had to go back to juggling two remote openers. What a PIA.

I had to disable auto-open at one house because there's a main road nearby, and sometimes even just driving by my house (and not turning onto the street the house is on) would trigger the Homelink to open the garage. One time I didn't even notice, and when I came back two hours later, my garage door was open, and Homelink closed it. Now I'm glad they added the audio alert so at least I can tell if it's sending the signal.

Also, sometimes when I'm driving by and go to hit the 'Skip' button, its touch area is pretty small, and if you miss it by just a tiny bit, you actually hit the button to trigger the signal, the exact opposite of what you want. It's not easy hitting 'skip' when driving by in a curve at 35mph.

We've sold one house, so I'm now back down to three.

Little known fact -- you can program the Tesla Homelink buttons to trigger any 433mHz remote signal, not just garage doors and gates.
Just for the fun of it, I bought a Garmin Speak with Alexa support. It BT's to my iphone and uses the iphone's data plan to send requests. It's fun to use. But it doesn't automatically reconnect the iphone to itself when I go to the car. So, I wired in a remote switch to turn it on and off. Helps. Now, I can turn it on when I wish.

AND, I added a Nexx_Garage device to my GDO. It also has Alexa control. It's secured via a PIN you pass it when you give it the command to open. You can give each garage door different names so, if I have 12, then 12 names.

So, when I want to show off, I make sure the Garmin Speak is turned on and connected to the phone. I test with something like the weather or time or who won today's Cup race. Then when I get close to home, I an give the Garmin Speak/Alexa the Nexx_Garage command to open the garage door. Ta-Daaaaaaaaaaaaa ! Just for fun. (I'm so lazy, that I also bought a Kevo BT enabled deadbolt with Internet gateway and Alexa support.) So, from the garage, I can lock the front door from the garage, open the GDO, before I get in the car, and when I come home, close the GDO as/after I get out of the car, and unlock the front door before I leave the garage. Each device has a PIN to prevent "friends" from getting in ahead of me. All just for fun.

SDKoala, Opens but doesn't shut? Sounds like you have an LED bulb in your GDO light. Try a CFL or an incandesand..., incandes..., old type, and see if that helps. (The light is off when you approach, but its on because the door is open when you go to depart.)

Also, be absolutely you don't touch anything on the touchscreen when you get in the car to depart, - touching the screen could cancel/skip the auto close feature before it has a chance to begin. After you pull away, turn on A/C or whatever.

One more idea: Check out Frank's guide at: HomeLink Analysis and Troubleshooting

Reactions: McRat
SDKoala, Opens but doesn't shut? Sounds like you have an LED bulb in your GDO light. Try a CFL or an incandesand..., incandes..., old type, and see if that helps. (The light is off when you approach, but its on because the door is open when you go to depart.)

The problem with auto-close not working 10% of the time is not related to signal strength or interference... it's that the car doesn't send the signal at all.. it's like it forgot where it is and has no reason to send the open/close signal.

@Akikiki, it's an interesting thought, but @HankLloydRight has it correct. The car isn't sending a signal. It doesn't pop-up the Auto-Close info on the screen under the Homelink button like it does when it approaches to open.

I think it may have to do with pulling out of the garage before the car establishes a GPS connection. I've noticed there are times where there's a bit of a lag in connecting to LTE after the car left alone overnight, so it could be that it just doesn't know where it is, so it doesn't send the signal. I've have to test it out a bit more.

The car definitely knows where it is, since I can see the exact position in the app. And even without GPS it should use its last known position.

The more I think about it, perhaps it's another symptom of the "Reverse GPS" bug where the dead reckoning doesn't work in reverse and the car's perceived location is wrong.