Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Elon/FSD know what a U-turn is?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wide field of view turns is one of a few HW3 FSDb's Achille's heels. Quick moving turns >90degs and FSDb dither and fall flat until reoriented after a few seconds. Could be related to poor B pillar camera performance and/or image/object handoff from the B pillar to forward camera. The youtuber uber driver from San Diego has a route that regularly demonstrates it.

Last edited:
Wide field of view turns is one of a few HW3 FSDb's Achille's heels. Quick moving turns >90degs and FSDb dither and fall flat until reoriented after a few seconds. Could be related to poor B pillar camera performance and/or image/object handoff from the B pillar to forward camera. The youtuber uber driver from San Diego has a route that regularly demonstrates it.
I'd be interested to see if that's how it's done. My understanding is that after calibration the cameras are stitched together to present a complete 360 view to the neural nets. The software isn't looking at data from just one camera at a time and then switching to looking at another camera later in the maneuver. I admit I'm not certain on this point, so I may be wrong. Also, U-Turns are not quick moving - indeed they are one of the slowest maneuvers a car can make, even with human drivers.

Like I said above, I've had it complete two U-Turns previously, so I know it can be done - I even recall cheering out-loud when it completed a U-Turn the first time. There must be a coding reason they've backed off U-Turns for now. They may be trying to unify the code between models. Different tire sizes and different turning radiuses for the different models would require different coding. Something that can be done, but is probably down the priority list as they work on more fundamentals.

Reactions: teacher
How did you get it to? Could you take a video of it doing it? That is if you can get it to do it again. When it tries it in my car it "panics" and just freezes up or continues to make left turn.
As it's only happened twice, probably won't get it on video. I will say both times were large city streets (4 lanes each side), with a single controlled left turn lane. Because it had more room for the turn, perhaps that's why it worked. But those same intersections today do not work on current firmware. I don't know if they removed the code as I theorized, and will bring it back later.

I do usually try a U-Turn after each firmware update to see if it's been brought back.

In Texas, there are sometimes u-turn lanes under an expressway interchange. These are really more like two close left turns, but FSDb does navigate them without assistance.

I've not had a successful u-turn otherwise.

For me, U-turns are one of the scenarios that highlight a disconnect between the nav route planning and the actual FSD capability.

The nav will plan the U-turn as an essential part of the route, and often only at the last moment will the FSD screen ask you to intervene. Around this moment, give or take, the nav map may show a crazy looking new route to avoid the U-turn - but by then (like the song says) "you're a little late, Im already gone", from FSD anyway.

Reactions: teacher and 2101Guy