Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does FSD display more traffic information?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read many posts but did not see answer. I'm a new MYLR owner and I don't have FSD. My question is, does a Tesla with FSD display more traffic information? Does it see further out on both upfront and behind? Also, mine does not display traffic lights, nor the stop signs at the intersection. I usually only see it displays 2 to 3 cars in front of me and 1 car behind me when waiting at red light. I kept seeing those FSD beta test videos on YouTube and the more I see the more I feel something is missing on my display. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

The short answer is yes.

There's a few different variants of Tesla software out there:

- Basic Autopilot just does what you have seen. Visualizations are pretty minimal, mostly line markings and cars.
- FSD (but not on the FSD Beta software) - I believe this adds a few more visualizations of stop lights and stop signs and such
- FSD Beta - this is the full, highly detailed visualization you've seen in Youtube videos. For the past few years this has been for city streets only but in the latest releases it's used for highway driving as well.

The short answer is yes.

There's a few different variants of Tesla software out there:

- Basic Autopilot just does what you have seen. Visualizations are pretty minimal, mostly line markings and cars.
- FSD (but not on the FSD Beta software) - I believe this adds a few more visualizations of stop lights and stop signs and such
- FSD Beta - this is the full, highly detailed visualization you've seen in Youtube videos. For the past few years this has been for city streets only but in the latest releases it's used for highway driving as well.
This makes sense. Thanks for clarification.

Read many posts but did not see answer. I'm a new MYLR owner and I don't have FSD. My question is, does a Tesla with FSD display more traffic information? Does it see further out on both upfront and behind? Also, mine does not display traffic lights, nor the stop signs at the intersection. I usually only see it displays 2 to 3 cars in front of me and 1 car behind me when waiting at red light. I kept seeing those FSD beta test videos on YouTube and the more I see the more I feel something is missing on my display. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.
Number of cars in front of you sound similar, Number of cars behind you sound similar. After all, that car is using vision and you really can't see through the cars.

But yea, everything else does show up. Pedestrians, bikes, traffic cones, trash cans, crosswalks, traffic lights, stop signs (that are red) and probably a bunch more.

It really is as cool as it looks.

Depends how many $15Ks you have to spend on toys ;). It'd say it's pretty low value. But - life pro tip! - used cars from Tesla discount FSD by about 75%.
Someone can spend 10K for a football ticket, or burn thousands of dollars in Vegas every year and they are happy. It's your money you can spend anyway you want. Buy it if you like, otherwise mind your our business.

Reactions: gsmith123
Depends how many $15Ks you have to spend on toys ;). It'd say it's pretty low value. But - life pro tip! - used cars from Tesla discount FSD by about 75%.
But that should also tell you, what you can expect to lose if you sell the car.

I would love FSD, and had it been cheaper, i would have gotten it instantly, but at the asking price i think it is not worth it.

Especially seing as you are essentially paying Tesla a lot of money, to be allowed to be a beta tester for them.

And this is even though the FSD here "only" cost $8700

I even think NOA is overpriced at $4350

Especially since it is not transferable. If i were able to buy it, and then transfer the NOA/FSD to another Tesla in the future, i would probably be more inclined to buy it, as it would be a "one time" deal instead of having to pay every X years when i buy a new car.

Would also tie people into the Tesla brand even more.

Reactions: Jefff L
I think it would be logical for Tesla to display the same degree of traffic information, FSD or not for the safety reason. After all, situation awareness is key for driving safety especially when nowaday people drives defensively to protect themselves.

I think very hard on buying FSD but with nowhere level 3 in sight, HW4, and the non-transferable issue, it just don’t justify the cost. Still I envy all of you who have it. Best of luck for all.

Reactions: alexcue
I think it would be logical for Tesla to display the same degree of traffic information, FSD or not for the safety reason. After all, situation awareness is key for driving safety especially when nowaday people drives defensively to protect themselves.

I think very hard on buying FSD but with nowhere level 3 in sight, HW4, and the non-transferable issue, it just don’t justify the cost. Still I envy all of you who have it. Best of luck for all.
Uh, especially if FSD isn't engaged, aren't you supposed to be looking at the road and not s display?

You can get the visualizations without using FSD, Still have to pay for FSD, you just don't turn it on ;)

While many of the cars do, not all of the cars have the capacity to do the visualizations. the early Model 3, S, and X.

Subscription is $2,300/year, that’s like 6 years of FSD if you paid for it outright plus loss of investment and purchasing power today. If the car gets totaled or you sell it before 6 year mark, you lose. Just like a lease, never pay the down payment up front. Amortize that sh*t and don’t carry the risk up front.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue