Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does FSD Subscription freeze your software updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Irregardless, the added features arguably make the driving experience worse than using basic autopilot. I’ve used them. For $200 a month it’s a rip off without actual FSD Beta. NoAP to me isn’t even worth 6k.

At least with basic autopilot I don’t have to constantly confirm with the accelerator pedal when coming up to green lights, being reminded by the premature breaking - It’s so annoying that feature is useless. Why not just chime with hands on yoke? Would solve that headache instantly.

Auto lane change works fine but it’s not worth 6k or $200 a month. It doesn’t always do speed based lane changes to my liking.

On ramp/off ramps take them way too fast and too hit and miss to even consider.

Overall since 2018 I’m pretty disappointed with the progress of enhanced autopilot progression and the lack of transparency with FSD beta.
I couldn’t agree more, that stop at traffic lights nonsense is unusable.

Reactions: MARKM3
I couldn’t agree more, that stop at traffic lights nonsense is unusable.
2022.45.14 or 2022.45.15 (the ones that I've seen) seem to do an awesome job at deceleration for lights and such. It's amazingly smooth.

Looking at the release notes, it is noted under the recall section.

1. Improved decision logic to proceed through or stop at certain yellow lights by modeling the decision as a tradeoff framework that considers estimated: deceleration required to stop, time to enter and exit the intersection, and the distance traversed across the intersection before the light transitions to red. This should make yellow light handling more natural and human-like.
2. Improved the longitudinal slowdown control profile when leading up to stop sign intersections to make the overall maneuver feel more perceptible and natural.
3. Improved the Tesla’s speed adjustment when entering certain speed zones by allowing for earlier control for detected speed limit signs. The assertiveness of the response when slowing down for detected speed limit signs is determined by the current speed and its difference to the speed indicated by the detected sign. Added a visual glow behind the speed limit icon on the user-interface to alert the driver when the vehicle’s set speed exceeds the detected speed limit by more than 50%. Finally, the option for an absolute Speed Limit offset in FSD Beta was removed; only the percent-based offset will be available.

2022.45.14 or 2022.45.15 (the ones that I've seen) seem to do an awesome job at deceleration for lights and such. It's amazingly smooth.

Looking at the release notes, it is noted under the recall section.

1. Improved decision logic to proceed through or stop at certain yellow lights by modeling the decision as a tradeoff framework that considers estimated: deceleration required to stop, time to enter and exit the intersection, and the distance traversed across the intersection before the light transitions to red. This should make yellow light handling more natural and human-like.
2. Improved the longitudinal slowdown control profile when leading up to stop sign intersections to make the overall maneuver feel more perceptible and natural.
3. Improved the Tesla’s speed adjustment when entering certain speed zones by allowing for earlier control for detected speed limit signs. The assertiveness of the response when slowing down for detected speed limit signs is determined by the current speed and its difference to the speed indicated by the detected sign. Added a visual glow behind the speed limit icon on the user-interface to alert the driver when the vehicle’s set speed exceeds the detected speed limit by more than 50%. Finally, the option for an absolute Speed Limit offset in FSD Beta was removed; only the percent-based offset will be available.
I am going to get the video off the car this week and post here for comparison. I feel that it’s racing into stop lights, I’m not sure if it’s specific to the Chicago traffic lights though.

how do I “skip” an update? I just took delivery of an hw4 model s and after poking around I see there are two branches for standard and beta. My beta button is greyed out saying it will be available in a future software release. I see the 2023 fsd beta - 2023.6.15 might be a thing soon but I also see 2023.12 is floating around out there and I’m guessing if I get that by mistake I can say goodbye to fsd for a while. If an update does show up and it’s not the one with fsd, ill Ignore it, but if that one is pending how will I be alerted when another version becomes available? And if 2023.12 is pending will an earlier version download over top of it?

how do I “skip” an update? I just took delivery of an hw4 model s and after poking around I see there are two branches for standard and beta. My beta button is greyed out saying it will be available in a future software release. I see the 2023 fsd beta - 2023.6.15 might be a thing soon but I also see 2023.12 is floating around out there and I’m guessing if I get that by mistake I can say goodbye to fsd for a while. If an update does show up and it’s not the one with fsd, ill Ignore it, but if that one is pending how will I be alerted when another version becomes available? And if 2023.12 is pending will an earlier version download over top of it?
Stay off Wi-Fi, and have you subscribed or purchased FSD?

It won’t update you now unless it’s for safety I confirmed that the FSD entitlement being active stops the major point updates now after 12.2.x
My issue is I’m a hw4 car, so I have factory firmware installed. The regular fsd button (stop sign and light) selected but my beta button is greyed out saying pending future software release. is this enough to stop updates or should I forget my home Wi-Fi?

My issue is I’m a hw4 car, so I have factory firmware installed. The regular fsd button (stop sign and light) selected but my beta button is greyed out saying pending future software release. is this enough to stop updates or should I forget my home Wi-Fi?
Yes I think you won’t need to do anything else, the beta queue seems to be over and just a grey toggle exists now. The recall update should be out soon, expecting them to begin rollout for all new customers in the next week or so.

Yes I think you won’t need to do anything else, the beta queue seems to be over and just a grey toggle exists now. The recall update should be out soon, expecting them to begin rollout for all new customers in the next week or so.
Thank you so much. Let’s say just for giggles an update that is not the beta downloads, is that the end, or is there a way I just ignore it and it goes away. I apologize for all the questions, I just came from an AP1 model s, when times were simple. Lol.

I have a FSD subscription and likely not renewing since I discovered after subscribing I can’t download beta software anyway.
(maybe I’ll reconsider if they release a 2023 beta)

I thought I was locked out of regular updates but to my surprise they finally pushed me 2023.6.12 today!

So apparently I’m not locked out of updates.

Thank you so much. Let’s say just for giggles an update that is not the beta downloads, is that the end, or is there a way I just ignore it and it goes away. I apologize for all the questions, I just came from an AP1 model s, when times were simple. Lol.
If you get an update that is below 2023.6.15 I’d just do it, otherwise I think you can just reboot and it would check for a newer update. I used to rent my model 3 out and renters would never update, if I didn’t reboot I’d have to do the update it thought it needed then check for updates and download the newer one; but the service center said to reboot and it rechecks which saved me a lot of time turning it over.

Irregardless, the added features arguably make the driving experience worse than using basic autopilot. I’ve used them. For $200 a month it’s a rip off without actual FSD Beta. NoAP to me isn’t even worth 6k.

At least with basic autopilot I don’t have to constantly confirm with the accelerator pedal when coming up to green lights, being reminded by the premature breaking - It’s so annoying that feature is useless. Why not just chime with hands on yoke? Would solve that headache instantly.

Auto lane change works fine but it’s not worth 6k or $200 a month. It doesn’t always do speed based lane changes to my liking.

On ramp/off ramps take them way too fast and too hit and miss to even consider.

Overall since 2018 I’m pretty disappointed with the progress of enhanced autopilot progression and the lack of transparency with FSD beta.
The FSDb performance on freeways/lane changes is much better and more natural with the latest FSDb update. The speed choice, lane changes and overall behavior feels more natural and human. It definitely emphasized highway performance over other domains (still various problems on streets occasionally). You still have to tweak the speed limit to your liking as it often takes signs too literally when other cars don't.

It's still not worth the cost but EAP is looking like it will be a good product on highway. FSD on all streets, autonomy is still very far away though. Almost every drive needs some human input or tweak. Street driving is still easier manually for the most part.

To stop updates, you just don't install them. Disabling WiFi is gross overkill and stops some other things from working, like what the car sends back home.

To stop updates, you just don't install them. Disabling WiFi is gross overkill and stops some other things from working, like what the car sends back home.
I didn’t end up disabling WiFi but everything seems fine as I’m still on 2023.6.11.2 and haven’t been prompted for 2023.12.1.1 even though a bunch of folks got it so I’m hopeful the next prompt I get will be for a FSD beta build.