Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does getting a Y quickly = previous reject?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the same thing. I’m in Houston. MVPA 7/16. Delivery 7/24. Queried some Texas owners and they said 2 weeks.

Some people have valid reasons to reject while I think others are just being a bit too neurotic. But to each their own.

Honestly I don’t care if it was a reject. As long as the odometer is correct on the MVPA and any issues are corrected so that I get a car that works, I’m solid.

Reactions: PlaidCPA
Help me understand before driving 2.5 hours to take delivery. Can they not be looked over by a professional for quality control issues? Can we not get a video of the car to see if it checks all the boxes first?

I saw four of them a few days ago that were waiting to be delivered and they all had huge gap issues. I would call your delivery person and ask them to inspect first but they will most likely not admit to it.

Help me understand before driving 2.5 hours to take delivery. Can they not be looked over by a professional for quality control issues? Can we not get a video of the car to see if it checks all the boxes first?
Nope. They will never tell you if there is anything “wrong” with the car prior to delivery unless it’s a safety issue like broken glass.

I’m in the same boat. Need to make a 4 hour drive for delivery next week and not looking forward to showing up for mismatched colors and panel gaps.

Some of you are posting the build date of the car. How do you get that information? Sounds me to that’s more indicative of when the car was build than the VIN number.
In my case I live very close to the delivery center. When I got my delivery appt I scheduled for the second day option and went to the lot the day before for fun. I saw the delivery qr stickers that show the build date. The vin plate on drivers door also show the month.

Reactions: Blizzard
This is my first time buying new with Tesla. I placed my order Wed 7/15 for a white performance with all options. People talk about getting assigned a VIN. How does that happen? Do I get an email/text? Does it show up in my Tesla account?

When I bought my X, it was a CPO from Tesla. They never sent me any actual pictures of the car. It was a leap of faith but I flew out to Chicago to pick it up and drive it home. There were a couple of issues with it but I simply made a list and it all got taken care of.

While I'd prefer to not have a reject, my feeling is it might be OK if there are minor issues with the car as long as Tesla makes it right. From what I've seen, things like seat alignment, charge door cover, window trim etc. can be fixed. That has been my experience with them so far with X. They have always been professional and gone the extra mile to take care of me which is why I'm a customer for life. I'd rather schedule a service visit than reject a car and wait weeks for another that may not be any better.

When I made the initial post, I was wondering if EVERY car is made to order or is there some stock of common configurations that they make as well? I guess you could also have a situation where someone's financing falls through.

61 minutes later I received this response.

“HI Marcus,

This vehicle was built 6 days ago. It has not arrived at any delivery center, as it has been on a train. We are expecting it to arrive 7/24, at which time we will do a complete inspection of the vehicle.

Thank you,

J**** **********”

I’m picking up on the 25th at 11am.

61 minutes later I received this response.

“HI Marcus,

This vehicle was built 6 days ago. It has not arrived at any delivery center, as it has been on a train. We are expecting it to arrive 7/24, at which time we will do a complete inspection of the vehicle.

Thank you,

J**** **********”

I’m picking up on the 25th at 10am.

thanks bud. My delivery person’s name also starts with J and she is very responsive.

This is my first time buying new with Tesla. I placed my order Wed 7/15 for a white performance with all options. People talk about getting assigned a VIN. How does that happen? Do I get an email/text? Does it show up in my Tesla account?

When I bought my X, it was a CPO from Tesla. They never sent me any actual pictures of the car. It was a leap of faith but I flew out to Chicago to pick it up and drive it home. There were a couple of issues with it but I simply made a list and it all got taken care of.

While I'd prefer to not have a reject, my feeling is it might be OK if there are minor issues with the car as long as Tesla makes it right. From what I've seen, things like seat alignment, charge door cover, window trim etc. can be fixed. That has been my experience with them so far with X. They have always been professional and gone the extra mile to take care of me which is why I'm a customer for life. I'd rather schedule a service visit than reject a car and wait weeks for another that may not be any better.

When I made the initial post, I was wondering if EVERY car is made to order or is there some stock of common configurations that they make as well? I guess you could also have a situation where someone's financing falls through.

I ordered 7/15 at 10am, I found a VIN on my Tesla account Thursday at 4:30pm, I received a text to schedule pickup at 11am on Friday. As per my post above the car was built on the 12th. So indeed it seems like cars are built even without an owner. I chose a LR-AWD and the only option is blue paint. I pick it up on the 25th at 11am, 10 days after ordering and 13 days after it was built. VIN 25,2XX.

Last edited:
I would insist they show me the car via recorded video or live video conference before driving that far.
To whom? My SA isn’t even physically at the location I’m picking up at.

I don’t expect I will have a conversation with a DA until I am onsite.

There is also no way anyone from Tesla is going to admit “yeah there are huge panel gaps and paint issues with this car. Don’t bother coming”

charge door cover from all that I have read has not been usually fixed. can you please share where this has actually been witnessed as happened?

I ordered 7/15 at 10am, I found a VIN on my Tesla account Thursday at 4:30pm, I received a text to schedule pickup at 11am on Friday. As per my post above the car was built on the 12th. So indeed it seems like cars are built even without an owner. I chose a LR-AWD and the only option is blue paint. I pick it up on the 25th at 11am, 10 days after ordering and 13 days after it was built. VIN 25,2XX.
What exactly do you mean your only option is blue paint? Are you inquiring an inventory of already built cars and blue is all thats left and you're settling with that color?

I met with someone today who is going to install PPF for me.
He was working on white Model Y
For the life of me it was beautiful.
The car has presence.
Only after remembering this forum.
I began to look harder than I've ever searched before .
I felt like I was looking for waldo
Finally I found the issues . The left side molding on front door was slightly mis aligned.
But Honestly it was nice.
Back lights fine panel gaps good.
Im picking mines up next week
I will look over but leaving the microscope home.
Seriously my escalade came with issues also foam hanging out of vent. Paint dull spots.
But also mechanicals issues that to this day it still has .
So perhaps just perhaps let's not think that every blip is a reject.
Dont confuse this with a screwed car .
Probably just jinxed myself

Is this a poem?

What exactly do you mean your only option is blue paint? Are you inquiring an inventory of already built cars and blue is all thats left and you're settling with that color?

So a standard car with no options would be white. The only thing I chose different from a standard car is blue paint. I don’t believe there is a way to inquire about the inventory of already built cars. I just got lucky, perhaps, to be matched to a car that wasn’t pre-sold.

I think he means that the only option that he purchased was the blue paint. So, black interior and 19” wheels, no tow hitch, no FSD, etc.

Yes. Will add aftermarket hitch after delivery, may consider FSD later, will probably rock the Gemini’s with and without the caps for a few years and go aftermarket. I hope to keep this car for a long time.

So a standard car with no options would be white. The only thing I chose different from a standard car is blue paint. I don’t believe there is a way to inquire about the inventory of already built cars. I just got lucky, perhaps, to be matched to a car that wasn’t pre-sold.

Yes. Will add aftermarket hitch after delivery, may consider FSD later, will probably rock the Gemini’s with and without the caps for a few years and go aftermarket. I hope to keep this car for a long time.

Ah, I hear ya...

Welcome to the blue crew!

Reactions: imola.zhp