Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta not hands-free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Can someone please clarify this? I see many videos where FSD beta working without hands on wheel.. I have 2023 Model Y. Currently running on 2023.12.10 version. I enrolled in FSD beta 2 days back. When I enable FSD, it says Always keep hands on steering. When I take out my hands, it starts to alert to keep hands on steering. Am I missing something here? Why other FSD beta testers were hands-free?

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification folks..
Before you walk away with the thought that YouTubers are all smooth operators, watch Chuck Cook, DirtyTesla and AI DRIVR videos. They'll talk about the nags, you'll see the nags, and you'll see them fiddle with the steering wheel. Their experiences match my own - you can leave the car hands-free for about 10-20 seconds at a time, then you need to nudge the wheel a bit to the left or right. I've never seen a driver that uses their knee to defeat the nag. That would seem to invite Tesla to remove them from the beta test program.

Reactions: JulienW
Before you walk away with the thought that YouTubers are all smooth operators, watch Chuck Cook, DirtyTesla and AI DRIVR videos. They'll talk about the nags, you'll see the nags, and you'll see them fiddle with the steering wheel. Their experiences match my own - you can leave the car hands-free for about 10-20 seconds at a time, then you need to nudge the wheel a bit to the left or right. I've never seen a driver that uses their knee to defeat the nag. That would seem to invite Tesla to remove them from the beta test program.
I think the nag frequency is longer or is dynamic. Pretty sure it will ask quicker if it is doing a turn or doing something "interesting". I saw a tweet that mentioned a nag waiting 1m 40s before prompting. I tested it once being extra careful to keep my eyes on the road in a boring highway situation and it definitely was a minute or more before nag.

I'll also mention that you used to be able to spot "defeat devices" wrapped on the steering wheel usually at 3 or 9 oclock although recent updates have mostly disabled them and made it a "strike" to use one. I think it is detecting a super steady pull on the wheel starting from before you enable FSD.

Yea, in this video Dirty Tesla with his wife in the car even mentions that he seems to be getting fewer nags than usual on this drive.

Reactions: JB47394
Mine will nag me if I look at the display (instrument cluster) too long. It shows cartoon cars around me and poor video when I put on a turn signal, but I'm not suppose to look at it. A lot of effort has been put into the operator interface, it is just not where an instrument cluster should be. It is even hard to see tire pressure without taking your eyes off the road.

The nag is dynamic for sure.

I went almost 2 mins on highway, paying attention only to the front view. I pretended to hold the steering wheel (without actually doing it... 😅 ), and other "tricks", but it didn't really help, for me. I even tried without sunglass, eyes wide open, and blink less, but that was a fail... 😅.

As long as I'm kinda looking front on highways, my nag is quite infrequent.

On rural 2-lane highways and other streets, nags are much more frequent no matter what I do.

If I look at the cell, screen or my watch, I get a nag within 10 seconds...

Mine will nag me if I look at the display (instrument cluster) too long. It shows cartoon cars around me and poor video when I put on a turn signal, but I'm not suppose to look at it. A lot of effort has been put into the operator interface, it is just not where an instrument cluster should be. It is even hard to see tire pressure without taking your eyes off the road.
Because Everyone needs to check their tire pressures while they drive…. Complaints for the sake of complaining yet again.

Reactions: fholbert
Because Everyone needs to check their tire pressures while they drive…. Complaints for the sake of complaining yet again.
In fairness, FSDb does throw stuff up there that is supposed to let you know what the heck its doing.
It does seem that they are making the screen look complex with all the fancy graphics so you can tell what is going on, but then dings you if you spend just a bit too long looking at it.
But hey, if I'm looking at the display at least I'll see the nag :cool:

[edit] It would be nice if Tesla were a better at prioritizing the information the driver needs. The various AP/FSD etc icons really should be larger and more obvious when in use. The difference between a tiny light grey icon and a tiny light blue icon isn't exactly striking.

In fairness, FSDb does throw stuff up there that is supposed to let you know what the heck its doing.
It does seem that they are making the screen look complex with all the fancy graphics so you can tell what is going on, but then dings you if you spend just a bit too long looking at it.
But hey, if I'm looking at the display at least I'll see the nag :cool:

[edit] It would be nice if Tesla were a better at prioritizing the information the driver needs. The various AP/FSD etc icons really should be larger and more obvious when in use. The difference between a tiny light grey icon and a tiny light blue icon isn't exactly striking.
Personally I have not had a single “nag“ for glancing at the screen for any information. It Will however ding you if you are flipping through it like an iPad hunting for your current tire pressure since there must be an inflate now feature I missed. Think the point was (other poster) yes there are limits as to how far the system allows random things. Some however hunt for Just those things to prove some kind of useless point.

Reactions: gtae07
Personally I have not had a single “nag“ for glancing at the screen for any information. It Will however ding you if you are flipping through it like an iPad hunting for your current tire pressure since there must be an inflate now feature I missed. Think the point was (other poster) yes there are limits as to how far the system allows random things. Some however hunt for Just those things to prove some kind of useless point.
That's true. When I look at the screen for any reasonable amount of time, my finger is always on it. Never thought about what happens when you just glance it.

I can confirm that using 11.4.2 beta for the first time this morning on my commute. If I keep my eyes on the road, looking out the front windshield I can go miles without a nag (I went 5 miles without a nag), but a soon as I looked down for more than a second, the nag returned. I was testing with my had off the wheel but close in case I needed to quickly take over.

Also, I would like confirm what someone else stated, if I press the go pedal when the OS thinks it should slow down, I get an immediate nag.

Being able to go miles without a nag (with constant eyes on the road) was not the case for me with the previous beta 11.3.6.

IMO, as long as you are on highways with no lane change needed, and your eyes focused on forward direction, I think this version is ready to implement no nag safely. If anything changes, and no torque is detected, obviously it should nag.

I would still keep my hand on the wheel to feel what car wants to do, but less work if I don't have to try to keep just enough torque to prevent the nag.

After trying FSD Beta for the first time

I subscribed to FSD for a month and after trying it out it's crazy good. But it is alarmingly fast at making moves like accelerating from a red light turning green, it catches me by surprise. It goes through "stale yellow" lights that turn red before going completely through the intersection. I'm afraid its going to hit the curb on some intersections so I take over at the last milli-second. I don't know which lane its going to turn into. Its like "Oh crap" what's it gonna do now. it's scary, I guess one can get used to it like I did with auto pilot. But then At some point one has to go back to actually driving a car that doesn't stop on its own for a red-light and if I'm distracted I'll not realize its not gonna stop for that red light. Thats my fear. I'm uncertain and doubtful that it will ever be totally reliable to be driverless. But even then it will be the same problem of having to transition back to actually driving a car, be it a rent car or one's other non FSD vehicle. Any feedback from you Beta testers that have miles and miles of experience on FSD Beta will be appreciated .

Any feedback from you Beta testers that have miles and miles of experience on FSD Beta will be appreciated .
Like any new activity, the first few outings will produce sensory overload. That tends to stress people as they try to process everything all at once. Over time, you'll get used to the system and learn what it can and cannot do. Then you'll start to relax in situations where you know the system does well, and be more alert only in those situations where you know the system does poorly. So just hang in there and build up those miles. Repeating the same routes will make it easier to understand the good and bad about the system.