Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta not hands-free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like any new activity, the first few outings will produce sensory overload. That tends to stress people as they try to process everything all at once. Over time, you'll get used to the system and learn what it can and cannot do. Then you'll start to relax in situations where you know the system does well, and be more alert only in those situations where you know the system does poorly. So just hang in there and build up those miles. Repeating the same routes will make it easier to understand the good and bad about the system.
Well said and a consideration often overlooked. Example (for me maybe others). When I drive as a Passenger with others especially my wife their driving style often does not match my own. How they brake, accelerate, lane change etc. I am often grabbing the dash or other as it’s not a control. FSD is similar in many ways. Seeing the car take a turn or other often creates panic Until I understand How it controls situation. Not that it is bad but that I am not making the decisions. Going through a yellow as an example. Many would do the same as FSD. Some however would power brake or floor it. Just a different control you need to get comfortable with in time. Like the poster above, all were Technically correct actions but the “feeling” it might do something wrong creates an anxiety. Yes, I have had it make unusual lane changes that I wouldn’t have done or are unnecessary but that doesn’t make it wrong just not what I would have done.

Like any new activity, the first few outings will produce sensory overload. That tends to stress people as they try to process everything all at once. Over time, you'll get used to the system and learn what it can and cannot do. Then you'll start to relax in situations where you know the system does well, and be more alert only in those situations where you know the system does poorly. So just hang in there and build up those miles. Repeating the same routes will make it easier to understand the good and bad about the system.
Thanks JB for the encouraging feedback. I just had to ask since I'd seen so many people saying they really enjoyed it. My first mistrust of it was while sitting a a red light with a big truck several feet in front of me. I just couldn't trust that my car could see the approaching traffic from my left so that it could safely make a "turn right on red" without getting hit by a car it could not see.

Reactions: JB47394
I just couldn't trust that my car could see the approaching traffic from my left so that it could safely make a "turn right on red" without getting hit by a car it could not see.
I trust my instincts, but try to allow the car to make the attempt. The more dangerous the maneuver, the more prepared I am to take over. I've had some unpleasant moments, but most of the time the car sorts it out. Start with simple stuff and work up from there.

Reactions: Yelobird
Thanks JB for the encouraging feedback. I just had to ask since I'd seen so many people saying they really enjoyed it. My first mistrust of it was while sitting a a red light with a big truck several feet in front of me. I just couldn't trust that my car could see the approaching traffic from my left so that it could safely make a "turn right on red" without getting hit by a car it could not see.
It takes time to learn what the car can, and cannot do safely. There's no shame in taking control anytime you feel uncomfortable.

• Helpful
It takes time to learn what the car can, and cannot do safely. There's no shame in taking control anytime you feel uncomfortable.
Exactly. Because the car does things like, on a 2 lane highway, suddenly change into the left hand oncoming lane and accelerate toward the car coming toward it, so I just wrench it back into the right hand lane and it disengages and asks me, "What's wrong?" At a "T" intersection, stop at the sign, creep, creep, creep, until another car doing 55mph gets too close, then surges forward to pull out in front of it at the last moment, forcing me to stand on the brake. ET.AL. So I disengage 5 or 10 times per mile. 3 versions ago, it was much better, but the last 3 have set it back a long way.

In spite of this, I'm doing my part of the FSDß program and try to use it every trip, at every opportunity - but of course very carefully. And just ignore the passengers laughter at my sent back answers to "What's wrong?"

Until there is a regression and it doesn't and you're distracted and hit something.

Just a thought, the guys who never touch the wheel are probably using these things hidden off camera.

I agree with you. I'm new to my 2020 M3. I picked it up Friday (08/25/2023) from the Tesla showroom in Raleigh NC. After completing the paperwork (it took more than 40 minutes) the rep stated, "We're through with the paperwork, I've turned on your flashers, go find your car and either accept it or reject it". As it turned out the car was in the shop and not visible from the lot. After walking through the entire lot, my son went back into the showroom and found her. She then discovered that it was in the shop, not the lot. Someone drove the M3 out of the shop. I went through my inspection using a checklist I found on the internet. I accepted the car and then spent at least an hour in the lot attempting to get everything setup.

For sure I was in overload. I entered my home address (about 180 miles away) and started. Initially, the FSD did not work because it had to go through some "learning". After driving about 20 miles I could engage FSD. I'm not sure if FSD Beta was on the car at that time (I just discovered how to determine what level of FSD you have (I currently have 11.3.6) but I do have a beta release. I really would like to get v11.4.4 but don't know how to force the download.

I do like the FSD function but at times it does do something weird and at times I do something weird and my action cancels the FSD.

IMO there is a LOT to learn, This is OK with me but sometimes my lack of knowledge creates issues for me.

I agree with you. I'm new to my 2020 M3. I picked it up Friday (08/25/2023) from the Tesla showroom in Raleigh NC. After completing the paperwork (it took more than 40 minutes) the rep stated, "We're through with the paperwork, I've turned on your flashers, go find your car and either accept it or reject it". As it turned out the car was in the shop and not visible from the lot. After walking through the entire lot, my son went back into the showroom and found her. She then discovered that it was in the shop, not the lot. Someone drove the M3 out of the shop. I went through my inspection using a checklist I found on the internet. I accepted the car and then spent at least an hour in the lot attempting to get everything setup.

For sure I was in overload. I entered my home address (about 180 miles away) and started. Initially, the FSD did not work because it had to go through some "learning". After driving about 20 miles I could engage FSD. I'm not sure if FSD Beta was on the car at that time (I just discovered how to determine what level of FSD you have (I currently have 11.3.6) but I do have a beta release. I really would like to get v11.4.4 but don't know how to force the download.

I do like the FSD function but at times it does do something weird and at times I do something weird and my action cancels the FSD.

IMO there is a LOT to learn, This is OK with me but sometimes my lack of knowledge creates issues for me.
Congrats. Seriously consider reading the manual as it’s an unusual car with a Lot of tech inside. I suspect you have FSD and the cameras calibrated but you likely haven’t enabled FSD Beta yet. Good luck and take your time.