TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does only using the Supercharger to charge car hurt the battery?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by codex57, Aug 25, 2017.

1. codex57

codex57 Member

Are there any long term (or short term) effects on just using the Supercharger to charge your car?

I know speed charging your phone is supposed to damage the battery slightly, but that's an object that gets disposed of after just a couple of years or isn't too much to buy a new battery so it's not a big deal.

The battery pack on a Tesla costs a lot more and I'd like to keep the car as long as possible, so I'd want to do what I can to extend longevity for as long as possible.

My local electric company charges extortionate rates for electricity and I live conveniently next to two Supercharger stations. Financially, it's likely better for me to just go charge at a Supercharger station than to charge at home. Especially when one is right next to the gas station I use anyways. Wouldn't even really be a big change in routine.

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

There are some people who have their own Tesla Supercharger station in their private home/properties.

If it is bad, Tesla wouldn't give you an infinite mile warranty for 8 years, would it?

On the other hand, Tesla does throttle down after certain numbers of Supercharging so it sounds like it does affect your battery.

But I guess that would do to the trick for Tesla's battery warranty.

3. codex57

codex57 Member

Yeah, from everything I've read, it sounds like financially, they feel they can and need to offer it on the S/X. But the sales numbers of those are really low and the owners are much less likely to hold onto the car long enough for it to be a real issue.

It's a problem they actually need to actively deal with with the M3 crowd. Things like throttling down suggest it is an issue.

4. Troy

Troy Active Member

Hi, @codex57. There is a Tesla battery survey and it doesn't show any negative effects of supercharging frequently. To understand the survey better, first, open this page and look at the first chart. The red trend line shows the average battery capacity vs mileage. Entries above the trend line are doing better than the average. Those below it are doing worse.

When asked about frequency of supercharging 10 people said they supercharge daily. You can see this in cell C29 here. 20 said twice a week. 42 said weekly. When looking at whether these entries are above or below the trendline, you see that most are above. For example, 7 out of the 10 people who supercharge daily are above the red line. Therefore, based on survey data, supercharging more frequently is not bad for the battery. On the contrary, the data shows that it is good for the battery.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. Tam

Tam Active Member

That's consistent with what vandacca thought after watching the old and long video from professor Jeff Dahn who is now doing research for Tesla:

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

When charging, the reaction produces bad actors. The trick is to do it quickly so your battery don't have to endure prolonged suffering with those bad actors.

• Informative x 1
  6. RoadToLevel5

RoadToLevel5 Member

According to Tesla, the peak-charging rate drops slightly with prolonged use of supercharging.

Supercharging

• Informative x 4
  7. codex57

codex57 Member

I can live with peak charging rate dropping slightly if it means there isn't an appreciable decrease in longevity of the battery.

8. Tam

Tam Active Member

From Tesla's official statement, I interpreted the same as yours: Supercharger would automatically limit the high charging rate and slow it down (a few minutes longer) to ensure longevity, so no worries!

• Like x 1
  9. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

For those supercharging their vehicles, wouldn't those predominantly be at SCN and not at home so owners are cognizant that other users may want to use the charging station? I only asked because a few posts above, a member said owners do have the equivalent of the supercharger installed at home. Do those and the chargers on the SCN provide the same charge rate and current?

10. cschock

cschock Member

I doubt, very highly, anyone is doing the equivalent of supercharging at home. No home charging station is anything really close to the amperage and voltage possible with the supercharger network. The charger built into the car has two modes: AC and DC charging. The DC charging is used by the supercharger, and effectively charges the batteries directly. The AC charging which is used with the UMC and any typical charging station used in the home has to convert the AC power from the external source into DC and then that charges the batteries. Those internal chargers, even with the Dual Chargers option available on the S and X only go up to 80A. The standard charger on the S and X is only capable of 40A charging. The supercharger network is much higher power than that.

I could have all of this wrong, YMMV, never trust anything you read on the internet, and all other caveats apply! :D

• Like x 1