Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla remove FSD from third-party dealers

Does Tesla have the legal right do remove FSD from cars sold by third-party dealers?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not suggesting either of those things.
If Tesla buys the car back and sells it again, they can do whatever they want. I never suggested they advertised vehicles with FSD where it was not present either.

Simply that when they take in a vehicle with FSD, it is removed. That is all.

3rd party dealer sales are a different story.

Then, for dense folks like me, can you explain exactly what you mean in your post #25:

"I’m only speaking to Tesla’s practice of removing FSD from dealer and Tesla-used sales." (I've highlighted the 'and')

Evidence?

Evidence #1: No information about where the dealer purchased the car from. Could have been from Tesla at auction.
Evidence #2: Tesla sold the vehicle to the 3rd party dealer.
Evidence #3: Tesla sold the vehicle to the 3rd party dealer. (From what you linked: "To recap, a third-party dealer purchased a 2017 Model S from Tesla at auction")

So still no evidence that a sale from a 3rd party dealer, that didn't get the vehicle from Tesla, had a software feature disabled.

Generally the only way Tesla allows FSD to stay with a car is person to person private sales, this diminishes the value of FSD to near nothing in my eyes. Only a matter of time until they delete it on ANY car sale, and anyone who thinks that isnt coming is a nincompoop.

1624402646947.png

Generally the only way Tesla allows FSD to stay with a car is person to person private sales, this diminishes the value of FSD to near nothing in my eyes. Only a matter of time until they delete it on ANY car sale, and anyone who thinks that isnt coming is a nincompoop.

View attachment 676373

Just because a random blog posted it does not make it true.

* citation needed

IMO, customer and buyer reports do.
Im wondering if you folks think Elon is going to call you and personally thank you for your attempted obfuscation of issues. Tesla clearly wont clarify their position, which further bolsters these buyers claims. Lemme guess - anyone who claims this happened to them are short sellers or oil industry shills?

Im wondering if you folks think Elon is going to call you and personally thank you for your attempted obfuscation of issues. Tesla clearly wont clarify their position, which further bolsters these buyers claims. Lemme guess - anyone who claims this happened to them are short sellers or oil industry shills?
It’s just every case I have read about the car came from auction from Tesla. They have the right to remove whatever they want if they the car.

If they are removing it after that is clearly a problem.

They can also value features however they like. Right now FSD is nothing, if it ever does anything private parties, carmax type places, etc will pay more so Tesla will pay more. Dodge or carmax didn’t offer me anything additional for some of the accessories on my truck (adjustable pedals, upgraded stereo), tinting, wheels, higher power lights, led tail lights.

yes, I did buy FSD. No, I would not buy it again at the current drivable feature set. And I don’t believe the future feature set until I can sit behind the wheel and experience it.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric

Exactly, particularly since the blog is an active seller, i.e, competitor of dealerships. (The blogger has an $$ incentive to stretch facts to fit his/her opinion.)

The author offers zero cites for instances where someone trades-in/sells their paid-for FSD car to a non-Tesla dealership and Tesla then disables the paid-for FSD.

It’s just every case I have read about the car came from auction from Tesla.

That, and a case where someone had a free FSD trial that Tesla forgot to turn off when the trial was over. The owner sold the car with FSD to a private party and when the private party went to register the car on Tesla's network, Tesla then recognized that the FSD on the car had never been paid for, so Tesla turned it off.

If Tesla was really turning off FSD to the Big Ice dealers, after they accept a trade-in, do you really believe that they would not have filed suit already? (They hate Tesla and would take every opportunity to make Elon look bad.) Turning off paid-for FSD to non-Tesla dealerships defies common sense. (excludes those cars that Tesla sends to auction houses themselves)

Last edited:
Just telling my experience. My car is salvage-rebuilt, I bought it in an auction and I repaired myself. It has EAP. When it was transferred to my Tesla account, Tesla kept EAP and never had a problem about this. They even kept FUD.

Just telling my experience. My car is salvage-rebuilt, I bought it in an auction and I repaired myself. It has EAP. When it was transferred to my Tesla account, Tesla kept EAP and never had a problem about this. They even kept FUD.

No, no, no. No real actual reports allowed on a thread that is designed to spread hearsay and innuendo about the dastardly things Tesla does behind out backs! 😉

• Funny
Reactions: Krash and M0rpH3x
Random blog chiming in here 😉

So, we keep a pretty close eye on this topic—for obvious reasons…and here’s what we generally tell people:

1) In private party to private party sales, the status quo has been (and still seems to be) that Tesla does not remove FSD/EAP, etc.

2) Dealer sales are a bit more complex, because there are typically two situations where a dealer acquires a car:

a) From a private party​

b) From an auction or in some other wholesale way​

When 2a happens, it seems to be a bit less likely that the software gets pulled upon resale.

When 2b happens, it seems to be a bit more likely that the software gets pulled upon resale.

Although, we’ve heard of instances in both situations where the software has NOT been pulled, and where it HAS been pulled.

Also—for those looking for mountains of evidence (for or against FSD/EAP staying with the car), you have to remember that not everyone who this happens to is going to jump on r/TeslaMotors, or on TMC, or some other public forum and complain about it. Some people (odd as it sounds), barely even notice or use AP.

So—this whole situation is about as clear as mud, right?

What it boils down to is this:

Tesla owns the rights to the software and has an immense about of data about where the car has been and a zillion other things. They also likely have access to motor vehicle information and other things that mere mortals are not privy to.

Ultimately, they are holding all the cards—and just the same as with Free Unlimited Supercharging transferability (a question we get all the time)—it’s ultimately their decision to decide what they will or will not allow.

So, if you’re buying a used Tesla—we recommend that you don’t weight the FSD/EAP/Free Unlimited Supercharging aspect of the vehicle too heavily as the ability of it to stay with the car is always left at the sole discretion of Tesla, even in private party sales.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Random blog chiming in here 😉

So, we keep a pretty close eye on this topic—for obvious reasons…and here’s what we generally tell people:

1) In private party to private party sales, the status quo has been (and still seems to be) that Tesla does not remove FSD/EAP, etc.

2) Dealer sales are a bit more complex, because there are typically two situations where a dealer acquires a car:

a) From a private party​

b) From an auction or in some other wholesale way​

When 2a happens, it seems to be a bit less likely that the software gets pulled upon resale.

When 2b happens, it seems to be a bit more likely that the software gets pulled upon resale.

Although, we’ve heard of instances in both situations where the software has NOT been pulled, and where it HAS been pulled.

Also—for those looking for mountains of evidence (for or against FSD/EAP staying with the car), you have to remember that not everyone who this happens to is going to jump on r/TeslaMotors, or on TMC, or some other public forum and complain about it. Some people (odd as it sounds), barely even notice or use AP.

So—this whole situation is about as clear as mud, right?

What it boils down to is this:

Tesla owns the rights to the software and has an immense about of data about where the car has been and a zillion other things. They also likely have access to motor vehicle information and other things that mere mortals are not privy to.

Ultimately, they are holding all the cards—and just the same as with Free Unlimited Supercharging transferability (a question we get all the time)—it’s ultimately their decision to decide what they will or will not allow.

So, if you’re buying a used Tesla—we recommend that you don’t weight the FSD/EAP/Free Unlimited Supercharging aspect of the vehicle too heavily as the ability of it to stay with the car is always left at the sole discretion of Tesla, even in private party sales.
Thanks for posting. I get that you are dealing with anecdotes, and from folks who may not even know what they actually purchased. And if what you 'heard' is anything like what is posted on TMC, what you are hearing is not necessarily related to facts. No one needs "mountains" of evidence, but something more than 'we heard...' How do you know what you are hearing is not from a Tesla competitor or stock shorter? Do you ask for evidence, or just blog on fact-free innuendo (like many bloggers)?

That said, sitch 2a defies common sense. If CarMax, Carvana and the local Chevy/Ford/Chrysler dealerships were routinely purchasing/accepting trade-ins of Teslas with paid FSD from owners, those dealers would have nice legal claim against Tesla for disabling the SW on a car that they now own since Tesla just diminished the value of the car.

There is plenty of evidence to indicate Tesla removes FSD from vehicles sold by 3rd party dealers.

The policy is, if it is not a person to person private sale, FSD is removed. It’s a disgusting practice.
I bought a MX 4 weeks ago from a Jeep dealer and the free supercharging, free connectivity, and FSD all transferred with no issues.

Thanks for posting. I get that you are dealing with anecdotes, and from folks who may not even know what they actually purchased. And if what you 'heard' is anything like what is posted on TMC, what you are hearing is not necessarily related to facts. No one needs "mountains" of evidence, but something more than 'we heard...' How do you know what you are hearing is not from a Tesla competitor or stock shorter? Do you ask for evidence, or just blog on fact-free innuendo (like many bloggers)?

That said, sitch 2a defies common sense. If CarMax, Carvana and the local Chevy/Ford/Chrysler dealerships were routinely purchasing/accepting trade-ins of Teslas with paid FSD from owners, those dealers would have nice legal claim against Tesla for disabling the SW on a car that they now own since Tesla just diminished the value of the car.
This is happing not sure how they are getting away with it