Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP was removed [ car purchased third party ]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a used Tesla with EAP. Features were amazing! Then Tesla completed my ownsership transfer and removed EAP. Contacted Tesla support and Tesla stated that yes it was indeed removed but due to policy they cannot add EAP back and I would need to purchase FSD package which is 10k. Wth...The reason buying this from a third party was because of the EAP. Tesla support asked for a receipt of my EAP purchase. I cannot provide that information as I did not purchase this vehicle new. I'm sure there is something Tesla can do. Anyone else experience any issues with support?

When you provided proof of ownership did you select "private party purchase" or "3rd party dealership".
I dont think they have the right to remove anything from the vehicle. There have been threads on this.

UPDATE 2020/02/13: Alec says that after some more messaging back and forth with Tesla reps – and after his case got a tonne of media exposure – the company’s restored his vehicle’s Full Self Driving and Enhanced Autopilot, citing its initial removal as “a miscommunication.” However, Tesla has yet to issue an official comment on its feature removal policy.

Sounds like you need to raise a little hell.

Purchased a used Tesla with EAP. Features were amazing! Then Tesla completed my ownsership transfer and removed EAP. Contacted Tesla support and Tesla stated that yes it was indeed removed but due to policy they cannot add EAP back and I would need to purchase FSD package which is 10k. Wth...The reason buying this from a third party was because of the EAP. Tesla support asked for a receipt of my EAP purchase. I cannot provide that information as I did not purchase this vehicle new. I'm sure there is something Tesla can do. Anyone else experience any issues with support?

You say you bought this "third party"... who exactly did you buy it from? If you bought it from a private party person, have them send you proof that EAP was purchased with their vehicle.

If you bought it from a third party dealer, who advertised the car as having EAP, then go back to that dealer. Tesla "usually" only removes EAP when it either was never purchased and wasnt supposed to be there in the first place (the original owner had a free trial that never expired or something) or, the car was traded into tesla at some point and they removed EAP and then sent the car to auction.

So, where did you buy it (from what dealer), what was advertised as coming with it, etc?

When you provided proof of ownership did you select "private party purchase" or "3rd party dealership".
I dont think they have the right to remove anything from the vehicle. There have been threads on this.

UPDATE 2020/02/13: Alec says that after some more messaging back and forth with Tesla reps – and after his case got a tonne of media exposure – the company’s restored his vehicle’s Full Self Driving and Enhanced Autopilot, citing its initial removal as “a miscommunication.” However, Tesla has yet to issue an official comment on its feature removal policy.

Sounds like you need to raise a little hell.

I agree but I've also been wondering how they will treat hardware upgrades like hw3 for FSD for those deemed unworthy - 3rd party dealer, private party sale, and dare I say, salvage or other branded title owners. I'm of the latter group. I have EAP and FSD and a copy of the window sticker. I'll go full Milton Waddams from Office Space if they tread on me.

• Funny
Reactions: GZDongles
Whatever happened to features staying with the vehicle?

I guess that’s only the case when convenient for Tesla? What do they expect to gain by operating like this?

All they are doing is pissing off existing and potential customers with this very obvious attempt at a cash-grab.

Reactions: Fadiawesome
This could be tough to prove unless you have a receipt from the original owner showing purchase. For me, EAP is not on my Monroney, but it was on my MVPA as Tesla added it to the already configured car I purchased. But what if you purchased it after sale, through your upgrades section? And then sold the car? Unless the owner who purchased the software shares their proof of purchase with the buyer, that could be tough.

Whatever happened to features staying with the vehicle?

I guess that’s only the case when convenient for Tesla? What do they expect to gain by operating like this?

All they are doing is pissing off existing and potential customers with this very obvious attempt at a cash-grab.
Who knows if this is actually accurate. New user w one post.
Lets see the before and after pics OP

• Disagree
Reactions: arghx7 and glide
This could be tough to prove unless you have a receipt from the original owner showing purchase. For me, EAP is not on my Monroney, but it was on my MVPA as Tesla added it to the already configured car I purchased. But what if you purchased it after sale, through your upgrades section? And then sold the car? Unless the owner who purchased the software shares their proof of purchase with the buyer, that could be tough.
Why is it “tough” to prove?

Tesla obviously acknowledged the software was purchased for the vehicle in question. They confirmed they removed it.

Tesla obviously acknowledged the software was purchased for the vehicle in question. They confirmed they removed it.

Thats not what this OP said. The OP said "tesla acknowledged they removed it" there was no mention at all of "they acknowledge it was purchased". Read the OPs statement again, which is below.. relevant quote bolded by me.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide

Actually, no, the OP did not say that Tesla acknowledged that the sw was purchased, just that it was on the car. (critical reading fail)

As noted upthread, it could have been on the car due to a free Trial that never got cancelled.

• Disagree
Reactions: arghx7 and glide
Who knows if this is actually accurate. New user w one post.
Lets see the before and after pics OP
I use to have an option that said
thats what’s I’m thinking. I’m reaching out to the owner.