Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot removed - Bought From 3rd Party Dealer

rajbsn

Nov 11, 2020
Richmond VA
I have bought my 2017 Model X from a 3rd party dealer and it has enhanced autopilot when I bought and I have used it multiple times for auto lane change. But now I see that the feature is removed after I submitted my ownership change looks like. I have the features list printed when the X was originally bought and has EAP with $5000 cost. Anyone experienced a similar situation? This is frustrating and I wrote to Tesla customer support for help.

Hovscorpion1

May 13, 2018
Night City
I would wait and see how Tesla responds. Tesla has restored features in the past on used Tesla's however that was only after the owner went to the media. If they come back, send them a copy of of the MSRP sticker as well as any itemized cost when you took delivery or before.

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
I have bought my 2017 Model X from a 3rd party dealer and it has enhanced autopilot when I bought and I have used it multiple times for auto lane change. But now I see that the feature is removed after I submitted my ownership change looks like. I have the features list printed when the X was originally bought and has EAP with $5000 cost. Anyone experienced a similar situation? This is frustrating and I wrote to Tesla customer support for help.
You’re probably out of luck. Once a vehicle is sold to a 3rd party dealership Tesla thinks they have the right to remove any software features they choose.

This would not be the case if you had purchased directly from a private party.

Qbenjamin

Frugal But Classy!
Jan 7, 2017
Bravos
Had this happen to someone I sold my M3 to. Long story short, I had to find my credit card statement showing it was paid for. Took about a week to resolve and this was done randomly by Tesla after the guy had the car for nearly a year.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sandiegodoug

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
Had this happen to someone I sold my M3 to. Long story short, I had to find my credit card statement showing it was paid for. Took about a week to resolve and this was done randomly by Tesla after the guy had the car for nearly a year.
Private party sale or dealer direct sale?

Qbenjamin

Frugal But Classy!
Jan 7, 2017
Bravos
Private party sale or dealer direct sale?
I sold the vehicle directly to someone else, private party. I'm no legal guy, but I can't imagine Tesla being able to get away with this even if its through a dealer and it was previously purchased.

Last edited:
Reactions: gaswalla

rajbsn

Nov 11, 2020
Richmond VA
You’re probably out of luck. Once a vehicle is sold to a 3rd party dealership Tesla thinks they have the right to remove any software features they choose.

This would not be the case if you had purchased directly from a private party.

Tesla sold this X to the dealer close to may be 6 months ago and I have verified the same after I bought the X 2 months ago. These software features cannot be trusted and can be removed without notice looks like. As I have mentioned the original invoice has the feature with $5K charged.

rajbsn

Nov 11, 2020
Richmond VA
I sold the vehicle directly to someone else, private party. I'm no legal guy, but I can't imagine Tesla being about to get away with this even if its through a dealer and it was previously purchased.
They must provide a license key or something to stop this fraud in my opinion like the software licenses.

TMThree

Mar 28, 2019
USA
here's the problem, if you trade in a vehicle to tesla, they value fsd/ap/eap at $0. Tesla then disables those functions so they can offload the vehicle quickly (and thus cheaply). Then the new buyer can opt in to the software upgrades if they want.

So features are OK if you buy direct from a 3rd person seller, but if the vehicle touches tesla first, know that all options are removed (and might have a delay in being removed)

• Disagree
Reactions: TSLA Pilot

Qbenjamin

Frugal But Classy!
Jan 7, 2017
Bravos
Tesla sold this X to the dealer close to may be 6 months ago and I have verified the same after I bought the X 2 months ago. These software features cannot be trusted and can be removed without notice looks like. As I have mentioned the original invoice has the feature with $5K charged.
Different scenario here...The vehicle was in Tesla's hands before you acquired it from the dealership. There's been multiple cases of Tesla removing features once its returned to them, which is apparently okay to them (I think its unethical).

Reactions: gaswalla

Les236

Jan 20, 2018
Kissimmee, FL, Boston, MA
I have read that Tesla is doing this on used Tesla's purchased directly from Tesla, and that private sales retain options. I don't know if that includes unlimited data and supercharging, but definitely AP. This is low and seems to be a way to generate another income stream at the expense of new Tesla owners. It doesn't seem right, but I'd have to see how the software license actually reads. If Tesla is going to do this it should be before a new owner purchases it, and if it was listed on your contract with the 3rd party dealer I'd go back to them for a $5,000 refund or have them fix it with Tesla.

I work in the IT world with large companies, and there are several software products that are license to the end user and if the end user changes, the license is void and needs to be repurchased. I worked for a company a few years ago that changed its name, and one software company charged us again for all of our perpetual licenses. We tried to challenge this, but it was clearly stated on the license agreement the T's & C's.

PLEASE keep us all informed how this goes.

TMThree

Mar 28, 2019
USA
Different scenario here...The vehicle was in Tesla's hands before you acquired it from the dealership. There's been multiple cases of Tesla removing features once its returned to them, which is apparently okay to them (I think its unethical).

It's to lower the cost of the vehicle so it can be moved more easily. If Tesla values software at $0, and doesn't charge the dealer it sells to anything extra for it, that also means the dealer can sell to the buyer cheaper.

The only issue here is that they aren't deleting the software immediately at time of sale, so buyers are mislead by thinking they have features that get deleted weeks later.

Reactions: MP3Mike

gaswalla

Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery
Sep 23, 2012
San Diego
It's fair for Tesla to take ownership of the car and adjust software features. However, every potential owner needs to be able to check the status of the features prior to purchase. There needs to be a consistent database that reassures potential owners as to what they are purchasing.

Reactions: VikH and MP3Mike

rajbsn

Nov 11, 2020
Richmond VA
It's fair for Tesla to take ownership of the car and adjust software features. However, every potential owner needs to be able to check the status of the features prior to purchase. There needs to be a consistent database that reassures potential owners as to what they are purchasing.

I totally agree and there should be a transparent info with VIN. I tried to get this info before the purchase but was told all features will be listed on the touchscreen details screen and they can provide info on phone only to the owners :)

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
I totally agree and there should be a transparent info with VIN. I tried to get this info before the purchase but was told all features will be listed on the touchscreen details screen and they can provide info on phone only to the owners :)

The issue is that the touchscreen information is only updated when a new owner registration gets processed by Tesla. And the dealers don't register the car with Tesla, if they did the information would be accurate.

TMThree

Mar 28, 2019
USA
The issue is that the touchscreen information is only updated when a new owner registration gets processed by Tesla. And the dealers don't register the car with Tesla, if they did the information would be accurate.

tesla should be updating it the moment they took the vehicle into possession with plans to remove the software features.

problem solved

drtimhill

Apr 25, 2019
Seattle

I think its important to distinguish exactly when this happens. If Tesla take possession of a car (e.g. as a trade-in) and then remove some features (or add them, for that matter), and then the car is resold in this new state, then I dont see any ethical issues at all. This would be no different from them putting on new tires before selling the car on.

It only becomes unethical if the car is sold in good faith with a feature that is later removed by Tesla. In such cases, Tesla should restore the feature imho.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
I have read that Tesla is doing this on used Tesla's purchased directly from Tesla, and that private sales retain options. I don't know if that includes unlimited data and supercharging, but definitely AP. This is low and seems to be a way to generate another income stream at the expense of new Tesla owners. It doesn't seem right, but I'd have to see how the software license actually reads. If Tesla is going to do this it should be before a new owner purchases it, and if it was listed on your contract with the 3rd party dealer I'd go back to them for a $5,000 refund or have them fix it with Tesla.

I work in the IT world with large companies, and there are several software products that are license to the end user and if the end user changes, the license is void and needs to be repurchased. I worked for a company a few years ago that changed its name, and one software company charged us again for all of our perpetual licenses. We tried to challenge this, but it was clearly stated on the license agreement the T's & C's.

PLEASE keep us all informed how this goes.

Tesla also drops free Supercharging on used cars unless it is an older car. My 2018 came with "Free Supercharging for Life". But in the fine print, it says "free .. for the original purchaser...".

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
I have no problem with Tesla removing items from cars that come into their possession (e.g., as lease returns or trade-ins) but if they can't/won't be removed before the car is sent to auction, it should be made abundantly clear that these items will eventually be removed!

Reactions: MP3Mike

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
I sold the vehicle directly to someone else, private party. I'm no legal guy, but I can't imagine Tesla being able to get away with this even if its through a dealer and it was previously purchased.
Private party sales are a different matter.

Legally they can do whatever they want if it’s sold to a dealer. Read your purchase agreement.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC