Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the $5k P85D upgrade get you a ludicrous P85D or a ludicrous P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe this was covered somewhere - I spoke to my DES today (he called me). They are still waiting to hear on the exact cost of labor and also whether the upgrade will also get any change in badging (I don't care about that). Timing is TBD and the Nashville SC is compiling a list of local folks who want it. He also mentioned that the upgrade from the 85 to the 90 kWH battery will be very expensive and that if I wanted that I should go ahead and cancel my order and re-order. All I want is SPEED so I'm fine with the P85D and getting the upgrade when available.

FWIW, my DES said there *would* be new badging. There were 10 other folks in my area that were trying to convert their pre-delivery P85D order to P90D straight up. No word on the labor, either. I'll be kind of pissed if the labor costs an arm and a leg when I could have just paid $10,000 more if I'd ordered the car now instead three weeks ago. The other variable is how this will affect those of us who opted for a lease, which has already been calculated (I lease so I can run it through my company).

FWIW, my DES said there *would* be new badging. There were 10 other folks in my area that were trying to convert their pre-delivery P85D order to P90D straight up. No word on the labor, either. I'll be kind of pissed if the labor costs an arm and a leg when I could have just paid $10,000 more if I'd ordered the car now instead three weeks ago. The other variable is how this will affect those of us who opted for a lease, which has already been calculated (I lease so I can run it through my company).

Finding out that your car missed out on a new hardware feature that's expensive/impossible to retrofit is just the way it goes. Tesla are only obligated to deliver you the car you ordered. Be grateful you didn't pick up a car in September 14 just before they started fitting the autopilot sensors.

Also I'm a bit confused about your figures/plan.

If your car was not built you could have changed its config to add 90 and Ludicrous for $13k.

If your car is already built you can have it retrofitted with Ludicrous for $5k plus labor, but that won't get you a badge change because it's still a P85D.

Pack upgrade after delivery is going to be expensive, and almost certainly not worth the bother.

Interesting. This one? Ludicrous Speed Tesla Model S P90Ds will have a special badge | Electrek

(NB the photo is a mockup by the website; but the source appears to be a real TM person)

Yes, that's the one. I linked to it in the "What should call the ludicrous mode P90D?" thread. I agree with you, Alexis Georgeson is a legit PR rep for Tesla who was involved the ludicrous press conference. I never heard of the website before, but a quick scan of their page looked like they do pretty good reporting.

FYI - My DS also confirms the underline. From an e-mail he sent me:

New models will have different badging:
P90D - will designate Performance car, 90 kWh battery, no ludicrous mode
P90D – underline designates performance car, 90 kWh batter WITH ludicrous mode

Finding out that your car missed out on a new hardware feature that's expensive/impossible to retrofit is just the way it goes. Tesla are only obligated to deliver you the car you ordered. Be grateful you didn't pick up a car in September 14 just before they started fitting the autopilot sensors.

Also I'm a bit confused about your figures/plan.

If your car was not built you could have changed its config to add 90 and Ludicrous for $13k.

If your car is already built you can have it retrofitted with Ludicrous for $5k plus labor, but that won't get you a badge change because it's still a P85D.

Pack upgrade after delivery is going to be expensive, and almost certainly not worth the bother.
Admittedly, I'm only going off of what my DES told me yesterday so I don't pretend to have any inside scope. As I understand it, my car is in final stages of production (as a P85D) for a targeted pick up on July 31. As I understand it, the two potential upgrades (Lud and 90 pack) will be available in (best guess) a month or so. From what it sounds like, there is new badging available for upgraded P85Ds. I'm *not* suggesting that a P90D badge would be affixed but that an "underlined" P85D badge would get swapped for the old badge.

As far as the cost, it is what it is. It doesn't sound like the upgraded 90 pack is required for Lud Mode upgrade but I'll pay for both, if that's a requirement. But if a P90D with Ludicrous costs less than an upgraded P85D with both features that would be kinda of lame, is all. I'll be thrilled either way. I'm going to drive the sh*t out of this car like 16 year old kid who just got their driver's license.

Admittedly, I'm only going off of what my DES told me yesterday so I don't pretend to have any inside scope. As I understand it, my car is in final stages of production (as a P85D) for a targeted pick up on July 31. As I understand it, the two potential upgrades (Lud and 90 pack) will be available in (best guess) a month or so. From what it sounds like, there is new badging available for upgraded P85Ds. I'm *not* suggesting that a P90D badge would be affixed but that an "underlined" P85D badge would get swapped for the old badge.

As far as the cost, it is what it is. It doesn't sound like the upgraded 90 pack is required for Lud Mode upgrade but I'll pay for both, if that's a requirement. But if a P90D with Ludicrous costs less than an upgraded P85D with both features that would be kinda of lame, is all. I'll be thrilled either way. I'm going to drive the sh*t out of this car like 16 year old kid who just got their driver's license.

If what you want is Ludicrous Mode you are actually getting a far better deal than what is offered for purchase today. You can get it for $5K plus labor (est. at $6600 total) on your P85D. You would have to pay $13K to get that on a P90D. Obviously the P90D has slightly more range but is that worth it? I think not but to each his own. I'm in the same boat as you and I'm extremely happy about it.

If what you want is Ludicrous Mode you are actually getting a far better deal than what is offered for purchase today. You can get it for $5K plus labor (est. at $6600 total) on your P85D. You would have to pay $13K to get that on a P90D. Obviously the P90D has slightly more range but is that worth it? I think not but to each his own. I'm in the same boat as you and I'm extremely happy about it.
My office is 1.1 miles from home, so the added range would only ever matter for weekend road trips, so I'll pass on the 90 pack if possible. But I *will* have ludicrous mode, come hell or high water.

@tstafford: my DES called again today and said that for "already built" P85Ds the only option was to "retrofit" the car and convert it into a P90D (with ludicrous). So you'd: (1) get on the list for the upgrade now; (2) pick up your P85D at regularly scheduled delivery; and (3) in a month or so they call you back to the service center to change the fuse/circuitry and 90 pack, and at that time they will actually swap P90D badging onto the car.

That means we *would* have to pay for both upgrades, though you don't pay until the time of the upgrade. (Thus, you could put your name on the list now and then decline the retrofit later on if you change your mind). Still no update on cost of labor, though.

DES also confirmed that there is already a limited quantity of 90 packs and a backlog of retrofit orders and early P90D requests. They are making more 90 packs but demand currently exceeds supply.

@tstafford: my DES called again today and said that for "already built" P85Ds the only option was to "retrofit" the car and convert it into a P90D (with ludicrous). So you'd: (1) get on the list for the upgrade now; (2) pick up your P85D at regularly scheduled delivery; and (3) in a month or so they call you back to the service center to change the fuse/circuitry and 90 pack, and at that time they will actually swap P90D badging onto the car.

That means we *would* have to pay for both upgrades, though you don't pay until the time of the upgrade. (Thus, you could put your name on the list now and then decline the retrofit later on if you change your mind). Still no update on cost of labor, though.

DES also confirmed that there is already a limited quantity of 90 packs and a backlog of retrofit orders and early P90D requests. They are making more 90 packs but demand currently exceeds supply.

FWIW - This is not the case with what my DES told me. Here's the verbiage from the e-mail (no edits by me of course):

Thanks Tim.

An update to add some clarification:
As I mentioned before, you can upgrade your P85D to Ludicrous speed for $5000 + labor (haven’t been able to get an approximation for labor just yet). So you would have a P85D with Ludicrous mode
I am also being told that you will have the option to upgrade to the 90 kWh battery if you choose but pricing and labor are pending (the difference here being that all new cars ordered with ludicrous speed option are forced into the 90 kWh battery option at time of order)

Maybe I should make this a recurring series when I think Tesla misfires. Hmm...

How to make for satisfied customers quickly, Ludicrous edition

Elon updates with a follow-up blog post with the following:
1. Explicitly make note that there was some confusion about the horsepower numbers. Make it clear that there wasn't an intent to deceive but that there has been some confusion. Offer a "hp" not "motor hp" number for the entire selection of vehicles (from 60-90, D and non-D, Ludicrous and not) that is current and accurate in all market versions of teslamotors.com. No mea culpa needed. No admission of guilt (valid or not) required.
2. Adjust the pricing slightly for Ludicrous P85D. "I know I said $5k + labor, but I'm readjusting that to just $5k including labor. This makes it half the price to new buyers. It's a good deal, no?"
3. Set the pricing explicitly for P85D -> P90D pack upgrade. "I didn't give a number before. I'll give a number now. It's $3k. Yes, the same price for new buyers. We're being nice by eating the depreciation (miles and age) on your original pack. This is more than fair, IMO, and it's the best I can offer."
4. "Both #2 and #3 are independently available for P85D vehicles VIN <= _____ that reserve their place in line by __/__/2015. Any P85D vehicle owners that miss these cutoffs 'by that much' (Maxwell Smart?) can follow-up in email at [email protected] to see if they might be able to be accommodated. I can't make any promises, though."

Last edited:
Maybe I should make this a recurring series when I think Tesla misfires. Hmm...

How to make for satisfied customers quickly, Ludicrous edition

Elon updates with a follow-up blog post with the following:
1. Explicitly make note that there was some confusion about the horsepower numbers. Make it clear that there wasn't an intent to deceive but that there has been some confusion. Offer a "hp" not "motor hp" number for the entire selection of vehicles (from 70-90 D and non-D, Ludicrous and not) that is current and accurate in all market versions of teslamotors.com. No mea culpa needed. No admission of guilt (valid or not) required.
2. Adjust the pricing slightly for Ludicrous P85D. "I know I said $5k + labor, but I'm readjusting that to just $5k including labor. This makes it half the price to new buyers. It's a good deal, no?"
3. Set the pricing explicitly for P85D -> P90D pack upgrade. "I didn't give a number before. I'll give a number now. It's $3k. Yes, the same price for new buyers. We're being nice by eating the depreciation (miles and age) on your original pack. This is more than fair, IMO, and it's the best I can offer."
4. Both #2 and #3 are independently available for P85D vehicles VIN <= _____ that reserve their place in line by __/__/2015. Any P85D vehicle owners that miss these cutoffs "by that much" (Maxwell Smart?) can follow-up in email at [email protected] to see if they might be able to be accommodated. I can't make any promises, though.

I don't even understand.

Musk should just stop innovating, go back to marginal yearly model upgrades like every other model, and just stop making Tesla awesome because some people aren't happy with the car they bought.