Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the 70D feel slower than S85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think what must be taken into account here is what is your frame of reference, or, what car was your previous daily driver?

A Prius or Volt means the S60 is a rocket sled.

I mainly have owned BMW's and my wife currently drives an X5 4.8is. I am hoping the 70D is somewhat engaging.

Based on instrumented tests, the S85 and 70D perform nearly identically from 0-60, with the S85 having a slight edge (S85 is more significantly underrated on Tesla's page though...)

0-60/30-50/50-70 comparitive times for 70D/85D/P85D

I would expect the 70D to be quicker from 0-30 based on having AWD, but the S85 doesn't fall off as quickly as the speeds increase.

This is evident in the 50-70 comparison times, which is 2.1s for the S85 and 3.1s for the 70D. So the S85 will be quicker in highway passing maneuvers while the 70D will get you a bit more "oomph" from a dead stop.

Felt the same the Volt?! I have a Volt also--and it's a 9 second 0-60 car. I can't imagine that the 70D is equal from 0-30
and then it goes light speed 30-60 in order to reach 60, 4 seconds faster than the Volt!

I have driven a volt and the 70D. Theu are not even close 0-30 let alone 0-60. The 70D is a rocket on wheels. P85D is in a category of its own but the 70D definitely does not feel slower than the S85. Maybe it had little juice left in the battery? That would cause lower performance..

- - - Updated - - -

I love how people think the 5.2 seconds 0-60 is slow. We are hemming and hawing over a second people. Lets all be happy with our purchases as we are all very fortunate to have such a beautiful piece of machinery. If youve got the money go for the high end. If not do whats best for your budget.

0.8sec to be exact. 4.4 vs 5.2

- - - Updated - - -

I think what must be taken into account here is what is your frame of reference, or, what car was your previous daily driver?

A Prius or Volt means the S60 is a rocket sled.

I mainly have owned BMW's and my wife currently drives an X5 4.8is. I am hoping the 70D is somewhat engaging.

I have driven BMWs for the past 10 years and currently finishing up a lease on a '12 X5d with 460lb.ft of torque. Well it feels sluggish and slow compared to the 70D. Don't worry, it's plenty fast.

5.2 should be plenty fast. I've been a performance enthusiast my entire life (about 25 years of driving), and to date I've only ever owned 1 car that was faster or even as fast as that. I briefly had a 2011 Mustang GT that was faster than 5.2 to 60 (it was in the 4.x range). The next fastest was my 1999 Ford Mustang Cobra, which is 0-60 in 5.4. And anyone who thinks the Volt feels as fast has been hitting the pipe too much.

Does the 70D feel slower than S85 in the dry?

A proper title for this thread should probably end with the words "in the dry."

Because... in anything other than dry conditions and straight road, the 70D will slaughter the S85 on 0-60.

It would be great to have 100% confidence in my ability to launch, but my P85 doesn't offer that in all road conditions. 70D gives you that confidence.

If it's accelerating around a bend, the 70D will also dominate.