Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Model X exist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reserved my car late January. So far I have been given a production start date five times and so far four times the date was missed. My fifth date is next week but I got an e-mail last night from my DS saying that they have been shuffling around the dates which probably means that my car will still not be produced again.

How can you tell if the Model X is real? Maybe the cars we have seen are just mirages. It does not seem possible to actually buy the car.

These were the prodcution estimates I received so far:
3/11 This month
4/13 End of this week
4/15 It will be next week
4/21 Early May
5/4 Next week
5/8 It will go in production 5/16

I saw so many X's in the Bay area! (+ touched a few + raced a couple & they are real...and fast) and sooo many behind service in Palo Alto. Be patient if you are east of CA and want a car that does not need to return for issues right after you get it.

... those estimates are a bit goofy but they are just that, estimates.
I think they might be trying to avoid sending imperfect cars cross country at this point

I've seen three in the wild in Chicago plus several more at the showroom on Grand.

This is my third Tesla --- ordered my S a couple years before release, then traded it for a P85D, and ordered an X to keep the P85D company. With the X I started with a late-April, early May promise on my Tesla page which like most of the others is now blank. With every car the pattern has been the same, the model is slowly rolled out, then the constant checking of the boards, and reading of tea leaves and cryptic messages from the DS, followed by more delays and finally a firm date. With my first S, two days before the firm delivery date I was told that when the car was backed off the truck they hit a pole. Tesla was great in giving me the choice of repairing the car or waiting six weeks for a new car. After 30 months I chose to wait, so nothing is for sure until you have the key in your hand.

Then when the car finally is in your garage you completely forget about the wait. Most in these threads think thats the end, but no way, your frustration has just entered a short hibernation. A couple of months go by, Tesla makes incremental changes to the car every week, you will be drawn back to these boards to see what your car missed, and you look back and start thinking if only I had waited a little longer I would have the x, y, z, new features. When i think about it the whole Tesla process is some kind of abusive spiritual enlightenment. I hate spiritual enlightenment, and when I dwell on it there's a part of me that believes that it is in my best interest to just walk away and forfeit the 5k. The problem is that the cars are so much more fun to drive and so much more advanced then anything out there that I would be at least as frustrated not owning one. After driving Model S's for a couple of years it is too late for me I'm hooked, but Dutch if you haven't owned one it is not to late for you, you still have a chance to get out.

The only thing I have learned from past experience is that contacting the DS --at least for me has been an exercise in frustration, I have heard nothing from him this time, and I don't really expect to hear anything until we are zeroing in on delivery. To end on a genuine positive note, the service center at Grand Ave in Chicago has been great by far the best experience I have had with any other brand of car.

I reserved my car late January. So far I have been given a production start date five times and so far four times the date was missed. My fifth date is next week but I got an e-mail last night from my DS saying that they have been shuffling around the dates which probably means that my car will still not be produced again.

How can you tell if the Model X is real? Maybe the cars we have seen are just mirages. It does not seem possible to actually buy the car.

I went through the same thing. Lots of false "it's going into production soon" updates. And then it finally happens. I'm supposed to be taking delivery in less than 5 hours from now!

Reactions: goneskiian
I've seen three in the wild in Chicago plus several more at the showroom on Grand.

This is my third Tesla --- ordered my S a couple years before release, then traded it for a P85D, and ordered an X to keep the P85D company. With the X I started with a late-April, early May promise on my Tesla page which like most of the others is now blank. With every car the pattern has been the same, the model is slowly rolled out, then the constant checking of the boards, and reading of tea leaves and cryptic messages from the DS, followed by more delays and finally a firm date. With my first S, two days before the firm delivery date I was told that when the car was backed off the truck they hit a pole. Tesla was great in giving me the choice of repairing the car or waiting six weeks for a new car. After 30 months I chose to wait, so nothing is for sure until you have the key in your hand.

Then when the car finally is in your garage you completely forget about the wait. Most in these threads think thats the end, but no way, your frustration has just entered a short hibernation. A couple of months go by, Tesla makes incremental changes to the car every week, you will be drawn back to these boards to see what your car missed, and you look back and start thinking if only I had waited a little longer I would have the x, y, z, new features. When i think about it the whole Tesla process is some kind of abusive spiritual enlightenment. I hate spiritual enlightenment, and when I dwell on it there's a part of me that believes that it is in my best interest to just walk away and forfeit the 5k. The problem is that the cars are so much more fun to drive and so much more advanced then anything out there that I would be at least as frustrated not owning one. After driving Model S's for a couple of years it is too late for me I'm hooked, but Dutch if you haven't owned one it is not to late for you, you still have a chance to get out.

The only thing I have learned from past experience is that contacting the DS --at least for me has been an exercise in frustration, I have heard nothing from him this time, and I don't really expect to hear anything until we are zeroing in on delivery. To end on a genuine positive note, the service center at Grand Ave in Chicago has been great by far the best experience I have had with any other brand of car.

I hate spiritual enlightenment too. I don't own a Tesla, but ordered my X last July. I was one of the disappearing Late April/Early May deliveries, but was told the car would go into production on May 9. When i called on May 9 I was told it would be some time this week. When I called today i was told it actually did go into production May 9....

So I'm now told I will get the car in June sometime. He said the actual production time is about 15 days. I'm in Baltimore, and apparently the vehicles go via rail to a hub in Alabama, which takes about 2 weeks, then it is trucked to Maryland.

I certainly hope they have had enough time to iron out the bigger issues so I will have a chance at a relatively trouble free car, since at this point the service center is 45 minutes away. They plan to open one closer to me later this year, but that probably hasn't entered into production either....

Reactions: xkwizit
I reserved it last summer, before the reveal, I don't recall exactly when. June, if I recall. I got the invite to configure on January 4 this year, I submitted the order on the 12th, confirmed on the 19th. Got my VIN the first week of February. Anyway, gotta go. Have a delivery appointment. ;)

Perhaps you would be so kind to enter your Model x in www.modelxtracker.com. There is a "register here" on the left side. You can also see lots of other data on here including people's delivery dates

Perhaps you would be so kind to enter your Model x in www.modelxtracker.com. There is a "register here" on the left side. You can also see lots of other data on here including people's delivery dates

Entered mine in Model X tracker long ago. I guess I can go update it now that it's delivered.

And yes, the X most certainly exists. Or at least the one that is now parked in my garage is very real. Delivery today was super smooth and went better than I could have hoped for. As other owners keep saying, the car is amazing. Build quality seems to be quite good now. I have zero issues and nothing on a due bill or needing to be fixed. Hope it stays that way, but I've only had the car about 6 hours now.

I like the OP. Reminds me of Luke Skywalker hassling Yoda about how ready he is to be a Jedi ;):p:D Delivered, someday your car, will be.
How did they get that X-wing fighter out of the swamp anyway?

My car vin 4936 90D with premium package went in production today. This time they kept the promised production start date.

Even more amazingly they were able to allow me to upgrade to the premium package without loosing my production slot. Thank you Tesla!

My car is in the "body in white" stage. Not sure what that means. It sounds like some sort of base paint layer. I guess it is time to start looking at financing.

My car vin 4936 90D with premium package went in production today. This time they kept the promised production start date.

Even more amazingly they were able to allow me to upgrade to the premium package without loosing my production slot. Thank you Tesla!

My car is in the "body in white" stage. Not sure what that means. It sounds like some sort of base paint layer. I guess it is time to start looking at financing.
congratulations. All cars are white before painting. This is how OEM make cars.