Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the P3D - still exist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon referred to the Model 3 Performance as the 3P. So I like 3P+ and 3P-. I like that a lot. Simple.

I think inconsistent naming and putting on eBay stickers cheapens the brand. The German brands are consistent and I think the Model 3 culture is becoming what was the old Honda Civic F&F culture. To each their own I suppose. Ppls own car and money.

On the topic, there are lots of people who wouldn’t mind trading their 19” for 20” wheels. Even if the sleeper isn’t available, one can even sell the 20” and have a few bucks left over.

I think it harkens back to a time when the P cars were in fact available as RWD only (P85, P85+) versus today’s approach to always equip P cars with AWD (P85D, P90D, etc). Clearly, this stems from the S as the performance Model 3 has always had AWD. For my $0.02, “P3D” has a nice ring to it; “M3” not so much! Happy Wednesday all. YMMV
Right, it is vestigial nonsense.

I ended up putting in an order for regular Model 3 LWD with 19inch wheels. My sales rep said he would regularly check his calendar daily to see if he could find one that pops up. Until then it’s a 5-9 week wait right now for new orders and even a regular long range would be good enough so might as well get in line.

The P3D- definitely still exists, I just placed an order for one yesterday. It seems like every rep will tell you that you won't be able to find one and that they doubt Tesla will produce more. I have been finding them pretty consistently since mid summer, at least a few per week pop up. Just yesterday when I placed my order there were 3 of them available, albeit for a very short time as they are highly sought after. You just need to find a rep who knows what they're doing, and call literally everyday to have them check inventory, and you'll be able to find one.

It has the 19 inch sport wheels on it. I would have preferred the 18 inch Aero though. Will probably look to trade with someone as soon as I take delivery.
i might consider to trade my 18s by the way how much was the P3D- if you don't mind me asking

1 new one just popped up in local inventory. only 1 available at the moment. different interior and exterior to my pending order. i would accept that color combo, but wonder if tesla will proactively match me to it.

its got 57km though... so maybe its bene given a local spin before going up on the website

1 new one just popped up in local inventory. only 1 available at the moment. different interior and exterior to my pending order. i would accept that color combo, but wonder if tesla will proactively match me to it.

its got 57km though... so maybe its bene given a local spin before going up on the website
south-park-and-its-gone.jpg

Just like that. Im a buyer waiting with cash-on-hand. As Tesla doesnt do finance, they dont profit from selling it under loan.
Dont know what the deal is...

wow under 50k for the performance something i paid 64k for i know many say its normal but i do not think Elon should be playing yoyo with prices its 7th time if not more this year that the prices changed
my was 64k it was 53k for the LR AWD +11k for the performance

And you had the chance for a $5000 refund by giving up FUSC (which new sub-50k buyers don't get)- plus a $7500 tax credit. Plus the $350 in parts your car came with that new ones don't (Homelink, 14-50 adapter, phone cables).

(plus potentially free lifetime connectivity depending when you placed the order- plus an extra ~year of not buying gasoline)

So the actual price difference is pretty tiny.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
So the actual price difference is pretty tiny.

It seems like a fool's errand to keep pushing this obviously false narrative. It's an empirical fact that Tesla's car prices have been highly volatile this year, as Tesla tries to hit quarterly delivery targets. The damage that this has done is born out in the mistrust and uncertainty about if and when end of quarter promos or price drops will happen (the fair and transparent no BS sales approach has morphed into a caricature of car dealer tactics). FSD pricing and the surrounding claims about when it is going to increase are basically a running joke now.

Tesla does a lot of things well. Maintaining product value is definitely not one of them.

It seems like a fool's errand to keep pushing this obviously false narrative. It's an empirical fact that Tesla's car prices have been highly volatile this year, as Tesla tries to hit quarterly delivery targets. The damage that this has done is born out in the mistrust and uncertainty about if and when end of quarter promos or price drops will happen (the fair and transparent no BS sales approach has morphed into a caricature of car dealer tactics). FSD pricing and the surrounding claims about when it is going to increase are basically a running joke now.

Tesla does a lot of things well. Maintaining product value is definitely not one of them.

Figuring used cars are selling more than new - I would disagree. But I am new to Tesla so what do I know.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
It seems like a fool's errand to keep pushing this obviously false narrative.

It's not a false narrative- it's basic math.

he claimed there was a > $14,000 price difference from what he paid. that is the false narrative.

Here, give math a try!

$64,000- price he said he paid for a P3D-
-$5000 FUSC refund
-$7500 tax credit
-$350 extra HW he got new buyers don't
--------------
$51,150.

So about $1200 more than a "new" one costs today. Or about 3k if you get delivery of your new one before Dec 31 (though if that's possible is unclear since you can only get inventory ones and there seem to be few/none available right now).

And it's likely he saved a good chunk of even THAT much-smaller-than-he-claimed difference with a year of not buying gasoline rather than waiting a year to go to an EV (personally I save about $2000/yr not buying gas).

For AWD Model 3, this "OMG THEY OVERCHARGED ME" nonsense is even more untrue...It was $58,000 for one with EAP back last summer (53k car, 5k EAP)- with a $7500 tax rebate- so $50,500.

To get one today with the equivalent features it's $55,340 (blue, and FSD- plus homelink, 14-50, and phone cables). If I can take delivery before Dec 31 that's $53,465.

So 3-5k more today than a year ago... without counting the gas savings of that year.

If you add 3k for FSD on the last-years-one (which may start to matter sometime in the future but doesn't now) you're still equal or cheaper not having waited.

Speaking of false narratives :)

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-electric-vehicle/

Best EV for resale? Tesla model 3.

Likewise the S has dominated resale of large luxury cars for years.

On the 3 there's comments here almost daily how stupidly high used car prices remain- (to be fair this is in part because Tesla still can't produce enough to meet all demand- but it's unclear when/if that will change)

Last edited:
I am looking at buying a new Model 3, ideally with the "stealth performance" spec and the 19" sport tires. Seems like the best blends of power, fun to drive, efficiency and overall value/cost. The sales rep I talked to at the local Tesla store said that their inventory of this is almost non existent and he couldn't get one for me at this time. Was this just a temporary profit center and no longer exists for new orders?

It can be off-menu ordered from a knowledgeable in-store sale person.
Good luck fining one, but they do exist !

Please take note that P3D is not a legitimate Tesla model name, as "D" is not used in conjunction with Model 3 lineup.
Same goes for "D-" (would that be a 3-wheel drive?), those are all made-up Internet names, and you will only confuse a sales person if you ask for that.

Why do people even want the 19" or 20" wheels? They're easy to damage and cost a ton to replace. Give me the beefy 18" tires!

It's not about the wheels, it's all about the proper performance tires.
Those typically become available in lower-profile / higher diameter sizes.
Wheels are just round metal objects that keep the tires inflated. Sometimes they need to have wider diameter to clear the bigger brake calipers (e.g.: for TM3P).

Performance tires matter to some folks, but not to others.

a