Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the regular (not air) suspension have issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a fan of air suspension in theory, but not in practice. I have owned an Audi A8 and vowed to never own a car with so many bells and whistles again. So I am a bit annoyed that Tesla chose things like falcon wing doors, frameless windows, and silly door handles but I digress. So does the regular suspension have any clunking issues? My A8 definitely ended up with all sorts of annoying sounds that were difficult/expensive to fix and don't ever want to experience that again. Thanks!

I've got a 2016.5 (Facelift) 75D near barebones-spec (only option is Panoramic Sunroof + AP2.0/FSD) and the standard coil suspension is great. I chose my car for the lack of potential future issues after warranty (I don't even have the power liftgate).

My coil suspension is sufficiently firm/not too bouncy. Would love that GPS memory feature to raise it up on this one or two tricky spots, but I find that if I just take it slow enough entering a particular shopping center that has an awful elevation, no issues. This is coming from a Chevy Volt that scrapped on everything by design.

Reactions: HustleSimmons
I had a clunking sound coming from the front driver side strut. It wasn't the actual strut, but some guard or something the tech said. They fixed it in an hour.

I do have to say though, the one option I didn't get that I regret was the air suspension. My brother has air and it is a much more luxurious ride. The standard suspension is fine 90% of the time, but it kind of rings on poorly maintained roads.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Springs can be wound in a way to cause spring rate to vary based on level of compression so you can design a spring that is softer but progressively changes it's spring rate as it compresses. i.e. a non linear change in force needed to compress each additional inch of spring. This allows a spring that feels comfortable over minor road irregularities but is increases in stiffness as it compresses during turns.

I'd trade my air suspension in a heartbeat for traditional spring if I didn't have to have the clearance that air allows me.

No noises.
I replaced the left front upper control arm (needed the ball joint) in June of 2018, with 124k miles. I am not disappointed.
Tesla sold me the part ($260), I did it myself. it was remarkably easy. No rusty bolts, pinch bolt came right out, then the ball joint came right out with no prying.

I have always been impressed with how well this car takes the rough roads. Of course I'd never get the 21" wheels; the ride is too rough and they'd get wrecked for sure.

I'd trade my air suspension in a heartbeat for traditional spring if I didn't have to have the clearance that air allows me.

Same here. I've got a very steep driveway to clear. Even on "Very High", the rear can scrape the sidewalk if you go up a little too fast. I've alway been apprehensive about having an air suspension because I've known too many people over the decades who have had reliability issues, but I thought I'd take a chance on this one. I only wish there was a dampening adjuster too. This car is just about the softest car I've had in decades, but a "soft as a cloud" mode would be so awesome for the road trips or when you have a hot cup of coffee in your hands...

I've got a 2016.5 (Facelift) 75D near barebones-spec (only option is Panoramic Sunroof + AP2.0/FSD) and the standard coil suspension is great. I chose my car for the lack of potential future issues after warranty (I don't even have the power liftgate).

My coil suspension is sufficiently firm/not too bouncy. Would love that GPS memory feature to raise it up on this one or two tricky spots, but I find that if I just take it slow enough entering a particular shopping center that has an awful elevation, no issues. This is coming from a Chevy Volt that scrapped on everything by design.
Lol the air damn on the Volt was way too low. Even with the ahorter replacement one they came up with.

Reactions: Blitz3RS
...difficult/expensive to fix...

I drove my 2012 Model S for 6 years and 100,000 miles and did not have any problems with
1) Air suspension.
2) frameless windows.
3) Retractable hidden door handles.

It did have other replacements during its old age though:
1) Gen1 Mobile Connector (still worked but with signs of overheated points)
2) Re-manufactured MCU 17" screen and computer (still worked fine but with cosmetic bubbles)
3) Cabin heater (If I had to pay for it, I wouldn't replace it because I don't live in a snowy region)

I did not pay any additional cent on the repairs because I pre-paid the Extended Service Agreement.

But you are right: Tesla repairs are very expensive if I had to pay out of my pocket.

I have been driving my 2017 Mode X for the past 2 years and 25,000 miles and I have no problems with:
1) Air suspension.
2) frameless windows.
3) Falcon Wing Doors

All others totally with zero problems but it's not near 100,000 miles yet, so it's still premature to brag.

I have been driving my 2018 Mode X for the past 1 years and 8,000 miles and I have no problems with:
1) Coil regular (not air) suspension.
2) frameless windows.

All others totally with zero problems but it's not near 100,000 miles yet, so it's still premature to brag.

But if I have a choice, I would still want Air Suspension and some kind of automatic doors for my Model 3 (Model S has auto-presenting handles, Model X has the automatic opening and closing for driver door).

Didn't you have a $200 / incident deductible?

No. The policy clearly says $200 deductible for each visit and many owners have paid that but there has been a number of owners (including myself) who have reported that Tesla did not enforce that clause.

Correction on post #14, my other car with 8,000 miles so far is Model 3, not X. Model 3 still has not come out with air suspension yet and I am still waiting!

So not the popular opinion on my end.... but I much prefer the coils on my car than the Air suspension. I've driven them back to back, and the air suspension feels cushier and floaty which I did not like. Something about the coils just felt a bit more raw.

I do however see value in raising and lowering your car if you have a steep driveway or need to do that on a regular basis.