Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the vehicle tell you when it’s time for a routine service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Tesla vehicle tell you when it’s time for a routine service? Like check brake fluid, replace cabin air filter, etc… or do you have to keep track of it manually? I know many cars will tell the driver when it’s time for service.

There is no routine service. 110,000 miles and climbing.
This is sort of the company line with Tesla Model 3 and Y, but if you look in the manual for the vehicle, they specifically have some items that should be "checked" on a maintenance schedule. Its a whole section in the manual. Whether one wants to follow it or not is another thing. I also dont think the vehicle prompts for service intervals, but will tell you if it finds something wrong.

==========================

Here is the beginning part from the link above:

Maintenance Service Intervals​

Service Intervals​

Your vehicle should generally be serviced on an as-needed basis. However, Tesla recommends the following maintenance items and intervals, as applicable to your vehicle, to ensure continued reliability and efficiency of your Model Y.
For more do-it-yourself maintenance procedures and information, see Do It Yourself Guides | Tesla Support.
For more information on vehicle alerts, see Troubleshooting Alerts.
  • Brake fluid health check every 2 years (replace if necessary) or, if the vehicle is used for towing, replace the brake fluid every 2 years.
  • A/C desiccant bag replacement every 4 years.
  • Cabin air filter replacement every 2 years (or 3 years for HEPA and carbon filters, if equipped).
  • HEPA filter replacement every 3 years
  • Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (20,000 km) if in an area where roads are salted during winter
  • Rotate tires every 6,250 miles (10,000 km) or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in (1.5 mm) or greater, whichever comes first
Note
Any damage caused by opening the Battery coolant reservoir is excluded from the warranty.
Note
The above intervals are based on typical driving behaviors and scenarios. However, Model Y should generally be serviced on an as-needed basis; depending on various circumstances such as driving behavior, usage, environmental conditions, etc., the above maintenance items may need to be replaced more or less frequently than specified. Additionally, the above list should not be considered comprehensive and does not include consumable parts such as windshield wipers, brake pads, low voltage lead-acid battery (if applicable), etc.
Note
Damages or failures caused by maintenance or repairs performed by non-Tesla certified technicians are not covered by the warranty.

Schedule Service​

Scheduling a service visit through the mobile app is easy. After touching Schedule Service, select the type of service needed and follow the directions in the mobile app. Provide as much detail as possible, such as:
  • Photos, sound recordings, or videos.
  • Date(s), time(s), and time zone when the issue occurred.
  • Country of use and location.
  • Approximate speed the vehicle was traveling (if applicable).
  • Environmental conditions (rain, snow, cold, etc.).
  • Road name and type of road (if applicable).
  • Quality of lane markings (if applicable).
  • Applicable vehicle settings.
  • Identifiable symptoms.
Visit How to Schedule a Service Appointment | Tesla Support for more information on scheduling service.

Daily Checks​

• Check the Battery’s charge level, displayed on the touchscreen or mobile app.
  • Check the condition and pressure of each tire (see Tire Care and Maintenance).
  • Check that all exterior lights, horn, turn signals, and wipers and washers are working.
  • Check for any unexpected indicator lights or vehicle alerts on the touchscreen.
  • Check the operation of the brakes, including the parking brake.
  • Check the operation of the seat belts (see Seat Belts).
  • Look for abnormal fluid deposits underneath Model Y that might indicate a leak. It is normal for a small pool of water to form (caused by the air conditioning system’s dehumidifying process).
  • Look around the exterior of Model Y and immediately remove any corrosive substances (such as bird droppings, tree resin, tar spots, dead insects, industrial fallout, etc.) to prevent damage to the paint (see Cleaning).

Monthly Checks​

Note
In addition to cooling the interior, the air conditioning compressor also cools the Battery. Therefore, in hot weather, the air conditioning compressor can turn on even if you turned it off. This is normal because the system’s priority is to cool the Battery to ensure it stays within an optimum temperature range to support longevity and optimum performance. Also, even when not in use, you may hear Model Y emit a whining noise or the sound of water circulating. These sounds are normal and occur when the internal cooling systems turn on to support various vehicle functions, such as maintaining the low voltage battery and balancing the temperature of the high voltage Battery.
Warning
Contact Tesla immediately if you notice any significant or sudden drop in fluid levels or uneven tire wear.

Fluid Replacement Intervals​

Battery coolant and brake fluid levels should only be checked by Tesla or a professional automotive repair shop. Specific service information is available in the Service Manual.
  • Battery coolant:Your Battery coolant does not need to be replaced for the life of your vehicle under most circumstances.
    Note
    Any damage caused by opening the Battery coolant reservoir is excluded from the warranty.
  • Brake fluid: Do not top up your brake fluid.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Other than tires and brakes, some fluids rarely... what do you want to service in a Tesla? Did you service your cell phone? Not me...
This is the real beauty of Tesla, NO service racket from the stealership we have long endured with gas autos. Thank you Tesla!

You will normally only see a service vehicle soon message displayed if your Tesla vehicle requires service for a failing 12V battery or if the tires need to be rotated. When other vehicle error codes are displayed the Tesla vehicle usually require immediate service up to an including pull over and stop driving now.

Other than tires and brakes, some fluids rarely... what do you want to service in a Tesla? Did you service your cell phone? Not me...
This is the real beauty of Tesla, NO service racket from the stealership we have long endured with gas autos. Thank you Tesla!
Since the services are so far apart it would be good to get some reminder from the vehicle. I know a lot of guys including myself who forget people’s birthdays and birthdays are every year and yet we forget. Teslas is every 2 -3 yr interval even harder to remember.

My wife’s Audi tells us when it is getting close to its annual service. Very helpful for people like me who is not good at remembering dates or those too busy with life.

One guy check his brake fluid at 96k miles. To me that is high risk maintenance which could be avoided with a simple screen reminder.

If Tesla can do FSD, they can easily do maintenance reminders.

My wife’s Audi tells us when it is getting close to its annual service
Thats because they want you in there to spend that service money, annually (no, really, thats why its there).

Something I always found interesting was, for all my BMW leases, the service interval that BMW wanted for oil changes was like 5k... right up until on BMWs leases, the first 3 years of maintenance was included. Then, magically, BMW only wanted to do oil changes once a year or every 12k miles, instead of every 5k miles. It went from "its the service interval for oil changes" to "the car will tell you " (and you could access the car and change the interval via odb software).

I get why you are asking, but lauding an ICE car for nagging people about a service interval, when all that was doing was driving dealership spend, seems a bit strange to me.

I get why you are asking, but lauding an ICE car for nagging people about a service interval, when all that was doing was driving dealership spend, seems a bit strange to me.
You don’t have to take it to the dealership, you can take the vehicle to a third party or do it yourself and reset the reminder. If you don’t want to change oil once a year you can reset the message and change oil a year later. It’s just good to have some sort of reminder.