Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does this set the stage for Tesla to sell a refreshed Model S at a higher price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In addition to new cells there likely will be new cooling and power control structures that would require a new platform. Rumor has it the new model will have a 400 mile range. That will just put all "competitions" from Jaguar, Audi and Porsche in the few years ago's, or today's, Leaf category. Those who don't believe Tesla will continue to have a commanding lead in EV technology, or technology in general, just don't know what they're talking about.

Last edited:
Not so sure about that. The pack is an integrated unit. You can change the cooling and keep the same form factor. Maybe change the pump to a bigger one perhaps?

From every bit of information I've seen it seems Tesla is to attack the high speed long distance battery heating issue with full force on this. That makes sense too since this seems to be the only area of weakness compares to ICE cars at this moment. The Model 3 is already quite much better, even with a smaller pack, already. A more powerful pumping system certainly will help but probably will not be enough for Tesla to meet the goal. i'd think Tesla has a lot more tricks up its sleeves. Knowing how Tesla do things it will go the hardest way to implement the new design instead of just make smaller modifications here and there.

No need to raise the interior structure to add taller batteries.

Could simply make the battery pack extend a little bit more towards the ground.

Air suspension could easily adapt for that small change in ride height.

I think this will not work as they already raised it an inch after the collision with a loose tow-hitch caused a battery fire IIRC, which led to the problem of the front half-shafts wearing prematurely to give the infamous shudder on sharp acceleration.

I think this will not work as they already raised it an inch after the collision with a loose tow-hitch caused a battery fire IIRC, which led to the problem of the front half-shafts wearing prematurely to give the infamous shudder on sharp acceleration.

Funny story but totally untrue in every front. The acceleration shudder had been an issue only to the X but not the S. Raising the car also was only a suggested temporary solution for the S for a couple months until a permanent one, titanium underbody shield, was implemented.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Funny story but totally untrue in every front. The acceleration shudder had been an issue only to the X but not the S. Raising the car also was only a suggested temporary solution for the S for a couple months until a permanent one, titanium underbody shield, was implemented.
Err my S had the shudder issue. Was fixed and hasn't returned, but it was definitely there.

Reactions: OPRCE

Why have I [and lots of other MS drivers] had to have the half-shafts replaced after barely a year of gentle driving then?

Also, if raising the suspension an inch was only temporary [which I do not know, having now heard it both ways on this forum], doesn't that kinda prove that raising it permanently cannot be the solution to having a deeper battery?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: CarlK
Why have I [and lots of other MS drivers] had to have the half-shafts replaced after barely a year of gentle driving then?

Also, if raising the suspension an inch was only temporary [which I do not know, having now heard it both ways on this forum], doesn't that kinda prove that raising it permanently cannot be the solution to having a deeper battery?

Huh? What was that saying about best to just keep silence?

You obviously was the only (claimed) Model S owner that has had the shudder problem or had half shaft replaced. I've been on this and the Tesla forums for years and have never heard of another case.

Tesla told people they can raise the height up to avoid hitting road debris before the permanent solution was implemented and that's all. It proved nothing. Road clearance is a pretty simple concept every knows what it does and does not do.

Huh? What was that saying about best to just keep silence?

You obviously was the only (claimed) Model S owner that has had the shudder problem or had half shaft replaced. I've been on this and the Tesla forums for years and have never heard of another case.

Tesla told people they can raise the height up to avoid hitting road debris before the permanent solution was implemented and that's all. It proved nothing. Road clearance is a pretty simple concept every knows what it does and does not do.

Relying on those who seem intimately acquainted with the issue, such as @sorka quoted below, I had understood that Tesla had jacked up the suspension an inch for everyone (whether with subsequent builds or via software), but it was well before my Tesla ownership or time here, so you may be right or wrong in stating that it was in fact only a temporary recommendation.

My front cv half shafts were replaced 4 times. They NEVER tried to tell me it was normal. The 3rd replacement at 50K miles and it only took 3K miles for the vibration to come back. They asked me to hang tight until they found a permanent solution. By 70K miles it was worse than it had ever been mainly becuase I had the 3rd set for 17K miles of vibration.

I asked them to put it in writing that the violent shaking would result in any metal fatigue of suspension components and that there was no danger. Once I asked for that in writing, they asked me to come in again and have them replace. That was at 70K miles...20K miles ago and the problem hasn't returned since. I'm fairly certain it's because I lowered the car 1" with lowering links so it is now at the height it was when the drivetrain was qualified. Tesla raised the car 1" in 2014 for fear of battery strikes. I believe this exceeded the angular design limits for the cv shafts while under heavy torque.

Rest assured though that the forward shudder problem and premature replacing of half-shafts is far from unheard off on MS, see Munka above plus this small search sample:
Do you have shudder on hard acceleration? AKA death rattle?
Half shaft cured my issue
Recent Repairs - Half Shafts and Rear Camera - GREAT!
Major Repairs

Last edited:
Just for clarity, I never made any claims about being gentle ;) actually mine was an ex demo p100d, it had this issue from the first launch in my possession. it likely spent it's first 3000 miles demonstrating ludicrous mode!

• Helpful
Reactions: OPRCE
Just for clarity, I never made any claims about being gentle ;) actually mine was an ex demo p100d, it had this issue from the first launch in my possession. it likely spent it's first 3000 miles demonstrating ludicrous mode!

Good call, the gentle bit relates solely to my own experience on a standard S100D driven mostly in chill mode, but from perusing the other reports I am not alone.

Tesla told people they can raise the height up to avoid hitting road debris before the permanent solution was implemented and that's all.

Historical evidence shows @sorka was right and you are wrong on this point also, old bean!

Tesla Tweaks Model S Wirelessly as Feds Investigate Battery Fires

TESLA MOTORS, RESPONDING to a federal investigation of two recent Model S fires, is pushing a wireless update that will automatically raise the car's ride height at highway speeds, a measure CEO Elon Musk insists is "about reducing the chances of underbody impact damage, not improving safety."

The move, announced today in a blog post by Musk, came just hours before the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration launched an inquiry into two recent Model S fires sparked by traffic accidents. In the most recent fire, a Model S caught fire after its driver ran over a piece of debris in the road, apparently puncturing or denting the battery pack. Federal investigators said the investigation was prompted by cars in Washington and Tennessee experiencing an "undercarriage strike with metallic roadway debris."

What was that saying about best to just keep silence?

I dunno ... why don't you fill me in, eh? ;)