Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does this sound like control arm?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would it make sense to do both the left and the right at the same time
I would have it checked out and verified that this is your issue, then yes, if it was me, I would do both at the same time. They have the same mileage on them and it stands to reason that the other arm is not far behind. This way you only end up with one alignment after!

Here's a good thread about it.

And just because it's squeaking, doesn't necessarily mean it's bad (yet). When my driver's side started squeaking, I just injected some wheel bearing grease into the ball joint and it quieted it down. For now lol. I'll replace them both when/if it acts up again.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Let me know what you think. Doing it more in warm temp

Yep, mine sounded just like than when UCAs went bad.

If you're under warranty, and Tesla honors the warranty, you should only be charged $215 for the actual service visit. You should not be charged for parts.

If you are under warranty (and Tesla honors it, which is never guaranteed, BTW) you should NOT be charged ANYTHING for the service. Neither the labor, nor the parts, nor the visit.

Tesla SC will try to convince you to go away with just a temporary fix by injecting extra lube into the (torn) rubber boot.
Reject that plan, and keep insisting that they replace the UCAs altogether. They should relent and do the right thing.
You'll just need to twist their arm to get them there!

And just because it's squeaking, doesn't necessarily mean it's bad (yet). When my driver's side started squeaking, I just injected some wheel bearing grease into the ball joint and it quieted it down. For now lol. I'll replace them both when/if it acts up again.

The only reason UCA is squeaking is if the boot got damaged/torn, lube has leaked out and got replaced by water. Which has started corroding the ball joints.
This process is irreversible. The only "fix" is replacing the UCAs.
Injecting grease into the damaged boot just prolongs the inevitable, with the hope that you will run out of the warranty coverage before you come back.

That makes perfect sense for Tesla bottom line.
This makes zero sense for you, the vehicle owner.

a

Reactions: fredjan
If you are under warranty (and Tesla honors it, which is never guaranteed, BTW) you should NOT be charged ANYTHING for the service. Neither the labor, nor the parts, nor the visit.

I will just confirm that I had my FUCA (front upper control arms) replaced, under warranty due to noise, shortly before my 4 year 50k mile warranty expired last december (2022), and as @afadeev points out, it was no cost to me (no parts, no labor etc).

Not under warranty anymore. 77K miles on the clock. I will first setup the appointment and send the videos so they should create the estimate to fix. Then I can decide to move forward or not. If it comes to the grease injection I have the knowledge and tools to do it myself. In fact if the estimate is crazy I will change the arms on my own as well. It is not an insane process. Thank you for all the tips and feedback

Yep, mine sounded just like than when UCAs went bad.

Tesla SC will try to convince you to go away with just a temporary fix by injecting extra lube into the (torn) rubber boot.
Reject that plan, and keep insisting that they replace the UCAs altogether. They should relent and do the right thing.
You'll just need to twist their arm to get them there!

The only reason UCA is squeaking is if the boot got damaged/torn, lube has leaked out and got replaced by water. Which has started corroding the ball joints.
This process is irreversible. The only "fix" is replacing the UCAs.
Injecting grease into the damaged boot just prolongs the inevitable, with the hope that you will run out of the warranty coverage before you come back.

That makes perfect sense for Tesla bottom line.
This makes zero sense for you, the vehicle owner.

a

Right. But if you're no longer under warranty and know how to work on cars, you can definitely prolong the inevitable by injecting grease into the boot until you find the time to replace the UCA's.

Here's a good thread about it.

In Fairbanks, AK and I have a 2020 M3 with only 15k miles and the squeaking and creaking and had a loud crunch too. Is really loud. Started when we got back from winter travel. People turn and stare. Have been waiting for mobile service for 7 weeks now. Injected some grease and now it squeaks loudly but no crunch and creaking. They tell me June 19th. Tried to order the part and customer parts ordering is down with no estimate on when it will be back. Trying to get mobile service to send it to me.

Had to travel from Yuma, AZ to San Diego a while back for one service call that took them under two hours. 300 mile round trip for us. Zero miles for Tesla mobile service. Have not had much positive to say about customer service since delivery day.

Right. But if you're no longer under warranty and know how to work on cars, you can definitely prolong the inevitable by injecting grease into the boot until you find the time to replace the UCA's.

Or, if you are comfortable DIY-ing your car, just replace the UCAs and fix it for good!
Here are the parts to order:
1683908415736.png

a

Reactions: medphys3