Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your AC blow cold or just cool?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The AC is hella weak. I started the automatic climate thingie 30 mins ago. It started at 98F. 30 mins later its at 83F. I'll probably survive the AC, but I'm not sure I'll survive the bitching I'll hear from the passenger seat :love:! :cursing:
I originally thought it was weak as well, but it's really just that the controls need a serious software update.

Try setting the temp to "LO" and use the fan speed to control the temp, then work from there to find your comfort zone.

Mine must be different than anyone else's. it was 38 yesterday, I had it set to 24, fan had two blades out of four, and it was cold--had to turn it up to 26.

Maybe it's calibrated correctly in Celsius. Or maybe it's confused displaying Celsius in Texas.

There was a speculation on the UK forums that the weakness might be a C/F conversion issue (i.e. that if you configure your car in C then when there's a differential between setpoint and actual temp of say 5C (which is 8F) the car is setting the power level of the AC system based on the wrong magnitude of temperature differential so it always runs too weakly.

However since US owners set to use F seem to have the same problems I don't think that's it.

I'm trying to decide if I should really go by the service center or if my expectations are just too high. My new 85D definitely does not blow COLD air like my BMW did, it's cool enough I guess but in 88+ degree weather it's having to run non-stop to keep the car at 72 degrees. Seems pretty weak... In my old BMW my hand would get numb if it was too close to the vent, that's definitely not the case here. I am not in ECO or Range mode.

I'll play with that tomorrow, forgot to check it.

- - - Updated - - -

Great info there!
My Model S blows cold when the climate controls are properly adjusted.

So now that you have more information, have you played with the climate controls?

I would be interested in hearing your observations.

Larry

So now that you have more information, have you played with the climate controls?

I would be interested in hearing your observations.

Larry

Switching to recirculate made a significant difference. Starting at LO I found myself clicking the temp up and up over the course of 20 mins until finally settling in at 74. As suggested, turning off auto fan speed helped expedite the process, yet it's rather uncomfortable to manually tweak the fan speed down during freeway driving, so I returned it to auto.

The A/C in the model S is not as powerful as a typical V8 ICE car. It's more like between 4 cylinder and a V6 car It takes longer to cool the car on a 90+ temperature day, and the the volume of air pushed at you is not as great either. I live in S Florida and make use of the Tesla Android app to pre-cool the car before I walk to it in the parking lot. Pre-cooling even for 5 minutes makes a big difference. After driving for 5 minutes in 90+ heat, with or without pre-cooling, I often need to divert the air from blowing in my face, as it gets too cool. I set the tempu at 68-70 this time of year.

Switching to recirculate made a significant difference. Starting at LO I found myself clicking the temp up and up over the course of 20 mins until finally settling in at 74. As suggested, turning off auto fan speed helped expedite the process, yet it's rather uncomfortable to manually tweak the fan speed down during freeway driving, so I returned it to auto.
I set my right scroll wheel to adjust fan speed to make it easy to tweak. I'd prefer a "set and forget" system.