Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your AP1 read speed signs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you really want to know and are willing to put in the time to find out, drive by a speed sign, watch the speed limit change as you drive right by it. Then park, cover the AP camera (cover it with some painter's tape, something you can easily peel off after), drive by the same speed sign. Compare results with a few signs.

I don't need to know that badly. :)

Bruce.

In my 6/2015 AP1 MS, it reads the street signs with extreme accuracy. Even temporary construction speed limit signs and such.
The biggest annoyance is school zone signs. It doesn't read the TIMES for the school zone speed. Just tends to assume the lower speed is 'now'.

I was over in Canada over the weekend and was REALLY amazed that the car read the KPH signs, and AUTOMATICALLY translated them into MPH on the IC!!! Now THAT is cool!

Reactions: goddy
After a 240mi trip, I see that the speeds on the freeway are pretty accurate but on other highways it can be pretty bad. Coming into a small town from a 55mph road the speed did not change even after the second huge 40mph sign. Some time after that it dropped to 40. When it does change it often fades out and then a few seconds later it fades back in. I think that (fading) may have happened at the same time the speed reading was replaced with the gps data.

And btw, zero nags. Haven’t seen one in almost two years. I drive (on AP) with my right hand partly resting on my knee and partly imparting a torque on the wheel. My left hand is resting on my left knee an inch from the wheel.

Thanks for the reports, folks. Looks like my car Is an outlier.

I was hoping for more reports from facelift 2016’s, perhaps June or later. Perhaps being closer to the AP2 release has something to do with it.
The September 2016 service loaner I currently appears to be reading speed limit signs on every chance I pay attention to watching the speed limits change.

I don't think the car reads anything. The car has access to a database of speed limit sign locations and changes accordingly.

I find that annoying because it won't go that limit in AP (or 10kmh over if that's what you have it set to) until it passes one. It knows by rights that the limit is '80 kmh' (50 mph) but it stubbornly goes max 70 kmh until it passes an 80 sign where it will then go up to 90 in AP.
I am amazed at how it won't change the speed when it sees this:
View attachment 323594

but it changes when it sees this:

View attachment 323595
So AP1 is able to distinguish the arrow? or does it wait until 2 signs have passed?

I don't think the car reads anything. The car has access to a database of speed limit sign locations and changes accordingly.
I think it does read, or at least mine does. There is an on-ramp to our ring-road highway that I take every day on my way home from work. The highway is 100 km/h, the on-ramp is 70, and it comes off a surface road that is 50. Nearly always the car displays the correct 100km/h speed limit once I merge onto the highway, but every now and then it thinks the limit is 80. If it was getting values from a database, that database is being updated really frequently (like daily) and occasionally updated with incorrect information. Not to say that couldn't happen, but it sure seems more like it's reading the sign and occasionally misinterprets due to glare, shadows, or other vehicles rather than pulling from a database.

My Feb 2015 AP1 S85D reads speed signs reliably. It will update the screen (and the car speed if using AP) quickly after passing the sign. Pretty reliable. School zones outside of school hours are confusing.
The only error I've noticed is I once passed a speed limit sign which was knocked sideways and it ended up reading 5 mph instead of 35.

I find that annoying because it won't go that limit in AP (or 10kmh over if that's what you have it set to) until it passes one. It knows by rights that the limit is '80 kmh' (50 mph) but it stubbornly goes max 70 kmh until it passes an 80 sign where it will then go up to 90 in AP.
If it was truly just a database read, then the database AP2.0 uses is different than the one AP1 uses, as AP1 is significantly more accurate from my experience owning AP2.0 and having service loaners with AP1.