Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your new Model 3 makes a continuous humming noise when parked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE (suggestion): Yesterday I contacted my local Tesla Owners Club, telling them about this issue. They helped me to get the word out to Tesla's service management and Tesla's headquarters. I really didn't know Tesla clubs could do that. The club's manager suggested reporting the issue without mentioning the petition we are building, but to stay on the personal side of the problem by mentioning these discussions and the fact more people are affected by it. And that's what I did. I described the problem on my personal side, by including my Model Y VIN number, when I got delivery of it, the noise it makes, the bad experience I had at the service center, the discussion having here, more people complaining about it, etc. the whole story without mentioning the petition, and sent it to the club.

I don't have much hope that this will make any difference (I expect Tesla to get back with the usual answer: "It's normal!"), but... maybe, if we all do the same with other clubs, maybe that could at least help to push Tesla to realize that the problem is big and people are suffering from it.

Your thoughts on this additional strategy?

(personal opinion post only, not moderation content, not representing TMC or anyone other than myself jjrandorin the regular poster)

I agree with the tesla owners club, but as far as "keep it personal", that "toothpaste is already out of the tube" as the saying goes. I know for a fact that various tesla employees read TMC on occasion, even though they dont post much. I am not going to get into why I know this for a fact, just state that this is not a guess. You not only have a website setup for your petition action, but 2 separate petitions you are trying to organize and have not been shy about posting about it.

You also have a youtube video that you posted. I dont watch many videos (so have not watched that one either), but assuming that the video you posted in Post #3 of this thread is you, its not like it would be hard for them to figure out who you are, and who is organizing the petition.

My opinion is, the owners club route with them escalating it should have been tried before trying to drum up a petition. I am only giving this opinion because you asked for "thoughts on this additional strategey".

In any case, good luck with what you are trying to accomplish.

(personal opinion post only, not moderation content, not representing TMC or anyone other than myself jjrandorin the regular poster)

I agree with the tesla owners club, but as far as "keep it personal", that "toothpaste is already out of the tube" as the saying goes. I know for a fact that various tesla employees read TMC on occasion, even though they dont post much. I am not going to get into why I know this for a fact, just state that this is not a guess. You not only have a website setup for your petition action, but 2 separate petitions you are trying to organize and have not been shy about posting about it.

You also have a youtube video that you posted. I dont watch many videos (so have not watched that one either), but assuming that the video you posted in Post #3 of this thread is you, its not like it would be hard for them to figure out who you are, and who is organizing the petition.

My opinion is, the owners club route with them escalating it should have been tried before trying to drum up a petition. I am only giving this opinion because you asked for "thoughts on this additional strategey".

In any case, good luck with what you are trying to accomplish.

I agree 100% with what you said. If I only knew before!

I really didn't know that clubs could help with that. That's why I took the petition route. I thought the only way out was to deal with a Tesla center, and as you well know, I had nothing from them if not a huge waste of time. I looked and tried to get in touch with Tesla otherwise, but they don't have a claim department, no customer-relationship department, no other contact alternative than the service center. I also sent them several messages to their press email and through their online forms, but I never had a reply from them, my inquiries were completely ignored. What else could I try if not organizing a petition just to get their attention on this problem? I felt completely abandoned by Tesla after have paid over $65,000 for a new Model Y that makes me hate driving it because of that damn noise.

Anyway, whatever is going to happen I am ready for it. And I'll make sure to keep you updated.

Please, visit the links I posted above and watch my video below:

It'll explain exactly what this problem is about. It has nothing to do with the A/C or the heat pump.

Thanks.
Does this occur at all SoC levels, or only at about ~75% and above?

There was a whole thing about this with the older Model S cars, with the battery coolant pumps running for hours when the car is parked at a high SoC%: Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked

Does this occur at all SoC levels, or only at about ~75% and above?

There was a whole thing about this with the older Model S cars, with the battery coolant pumps running for hours when the car is parked at a high SoC%: Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked

I don't know that personally living here in SoC, but I had complaints and people signing the petition from all over the country and from Europe as well, so I guess, there's no difference with that.

Older Model S cars, especially those with the "85" packs, will run the battery coolant pump continuously if charged to about 75 to 80 percent or higher.

Since your humming noise is occurring at 65%, it's not the same issue.

Ok, but these cars have a completely different cooling system from the old Model Ss. And I can confirm this noise is coming from the water pumps of the cooling system (you can watch my video to confirm that).

Summary (again): the sound is the water pump for the liquid cooled computer that runs any time the car is active (being driven, while parked with sentry mode on, while charging and any other time the car is actively doing something).

The "issue" or "problem," as it's been described, is that this water pump is too loud, which is very subjective. Tesla states it's normal. So we find ourselves in a debate about how loud is too loud and whether or not some modest operational noise is acceptable.
I received my 2021 Model 3 Standard Range Plus with LFP battery about three weeks ago and immediately noticed that the car would hum for a while upon getting in and getting out. I just assumed it was normal. Let me know if it's not.
It is normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: K-Fresh
I received my 2021 Model 3 Standard Range Plus with LFP battery about three weeks ago and immediately noticed that the car would hum for a while upon getting in and getting out. I just assumed it was normal. Let me know if it's not.

Watch the video on this page of mine so you can understand it that corresponds to what your car is doing. unfortunately, there is no way to physically compare cars, but it'll give you an idea. If you see it being loud like in my video, well, then you have the same problem.

Summary (again): the sound is the water pump for the liquid cooled computer that runs any time the car is active (being driven, while parked with sentry mode on, while charging and any other time the car is actively doing something).

The "issue" or "problem," as it's been described, is that this water pump is too loud, which is very subjective. Tesla states it's normal. So we find ourselves in a debate about how loud is too loud and whether some modest operational noise is acceptable.

It is normal.

Please, stop saying that it is normal. The issue we have been discussing on these forums in the past several weeks is NOT normal.

If you are a long-time Tesla owner (like myself) you know that that's not normal. Keep saying that it is normal is deceptive and confuses people, mostly new Telsa owners that have no comparison if not with ICE cars.

If you have your own doubts, please, hold off on commenting unless you know what you are talking about.

Thank you for your cooperation!

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
I ran some additional tests. Sentry mode off. Car unplugged. USB removed. Fan and AC off. Car not touched for a day.

Still makes and maintains the same noise as soon as I open the door. I would say the interior volume level is comparable to some ICE cars idling with the engine on. Resetting by powering off the vehicle did not do anything.

Reactions: fablau
Normal. Much ado about nothing...
And I agree a online petition is not the way to approach this. What's next "My Tesla got a flat"....let's do a petition! :rolleyes:

100% normal. If you don't like it trade it in for a ICE!

Please, stop saying it is normal. And yes, unfortunately, many people having these new Teslas are thinking to trade them with an ICE or other electric cars. I get daily contacts from people complaining about this issue on modelyissue.com There's nothing to laugh about it. This is a serious problem. Again, please, stop saying that's normal. It is NOT.

If you have any doubts, read these two discussions on these forums:

Thank you for your cooperation.

I ran some additional tests. Sentry mode off. Car unplugged. USB removed. Fan and AC off. Car not touched for a day.

Still makes and maintains the same noise as soon as I open the door. I would say the interior volume level is comparable to some ICE cars idling with the engine on. Resetting by powering off the vehicle did not do anything.

I am sorry to say you have the same problem. When was your car delivered? Is it a Model 3? Please, let us know.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.