Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your new Model 3 makes a continuous humming noise when parked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you got your new 2021 Model 3 and makes a continuous humming noise when parked and the A/C is off, and such noise can be heard from inside the cabin, you may have one of the latest cars with defective/low-quality water pumps:

Your new Model 3 is supposed to be quiet when parked and the A/C is off! And note: this problem affects all new Model Ys as well.

If you have that problem, please, take these steps:

1. Contact your nearest Tesla Service Center and complain about it. Ask to compare your new Model 3 with one of the oldest ones and make them note that your car is noisy compared to the previous ones. They'll probably tell you that the noise is "normal" whereas it is not.

2. Add your name to a petition I am organizing to send to Tesla and consumer protection organizations in order to have Tesla replace those noisy pumps with quiet ones:

3. Sign a second petition I have created on change.org about it:

Sign the Petition

The more buzz we can make about this issue, the more chances we have Tesla will take it seriously. Please, share the above links anywhere you can (FaceBook, Twitter, Tesla clubs, forums, etc) as well as with friends, family, etc... the more people know about this issue the better!

I love Tesla and I want it to succeed in its mission "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy" but quality issues like these disappoint its user base and compromise its long-term goal. Please, help us to push Tesla to fix this issue affecting thousands of its latest produced cars.

You can learn more about this issue on the following threads on these forums:

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, I hope no one is trying to compare the noises of a new heat pump model to an older conventional model as they have completely different behaviors and sounds.

That said, the noise in the video is definitely not normal and I sure haven't heard it on any 2021 3 or Y.

But I've never thought to turn off the air conditioning. Why would anyone do that? If that's the only way to trigger the noise it might just be that it puts the cooling system into a different mode.

First of all, I hope no one is trying to compare the noises of a new heat pump model to an older conventional model as they have completely different behaviors and sounds.

That said, the noise in the video is definitely not normal and I sure haven't heard it on any 2021 3 or Y.

But I've never thought to turn off the air conditioning. Why would anyone do that? If that's the only way to trigger the noise it might just be that it puts the cooling system into a different mode.

Please, visit the links I posted above and watch my video below:

It'll explain exactly what this problem is about. It has nothing to do with the A/C or the heat pump.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I have the same noise coming from the same area on a brand new Sep. 2021 LR Model 3, just picked up over the weekend. Wish I had caught this during the pick up inspection. The noise starts as soon as the car is woken up (e.g., door opened), regardless of how long it has been parked. It is present with the fan and A/C turned off, and it is loud enough that even my partner pointed it out. Turning on the A/C seems to amplify it a bit more. For comparison, I traded in a 2018 LR Model 3 that was really quiet in the interior when parked, so I'm not happy with this new development. I wouldn't expect to have this issue with a new Corolla, let alone a new $50,000 sedan. I Have scheduled service in a couple weeks for this and a few other things. Will update with how that goes.

Reactions: Tom76 and fablau
Yes, my late August/early September M3P that I picked up on 9/9 also does this. The second I open the door it starts and doesn’t stop until we’ll after it’s idle or perhaps even sleeping. I might capture a few recordings of it starting on open, etc., if I get a chance.

I became most curious about it last week when a curbside grocery pickup that usually takes ten minutes stretched to an hour due to staffing issues at the store. Irksome, but my car is new and I didn’t object to the idle time to explore more of its functionality during the wait. The noise was constant the entire hour. I turned off the HVAC and even texted a friend who owns a 2019 to ask what I was hearing. He speculated about the pump being the source, but he’s not heard it yet to realize it’s pretty obvious and not faint.

I’m eager to see if this will continue to be declared in spec or if an issue will be realized that results in corrective action. I love how quiet the car is in most ways and would especially appreciate it being at its quietest when idle. Maybe we have an odd series of wonky pumps… maybe vibration mounts of some sort are missing? Perhaps a pandemic workaround on supply of the part? Be ideal if it was fixable in software, but not holding my breath on that being possible.

Worth my time to make a service request? My spoiler is separating on the left edge a bit (only other issue I can report), so I have an appointment already that I hope gets swapped to mobile service…

Reactions: fablau
Unfortunately, I have the same noise coming from the same area on a brand new Sep. 2021 LR Model 3, just picked up over the weekend. Wish I had caught this during the pick up inspection. The noise starts as soon as the car is woken up (e.g., door opened), regardless of how long it has been parked. It is present with the fan and A/C turned off, and it is loud enough that even my partner pointed it out. Turning on the A/C seems to amplify it a bit more. For comparison, I traded in a 2018 LR Model 3 that was really quiet in the interior when parked, so I'm not happy with this new development. I wouldn't expect to have this issue with a new Corolla, let alone a new $50,000 sedan. I Have scheduled service in a couple weeks for this and a few other things. Will update with how that goes.

I am sorry about your new Model 3 having this problem, yes please, keep us posted with your service center response. Expect them to say that the noise is "normal" and insist on the fact that either Model 3s or Model Ys having the same cooling system (octovalve system) were quiet. If your previous Modfel 2018 had the previous cooling system which was completely different, you can't use that as an argument against this issue. But you can say that the same octovalve system on previous cars was quiet. In case, ask to compare it with a previously produced car.

It’s the electric coolant pump for the liquid cooled computer that lives behind the glove box. I’m not sure change.org petitions are the correct approach.

Yes, that's it.

Why do you think petitions on change.org is not the correct approach? What would you suggest approaching it?

Keep in mind: I am also making a different petition of my own through the signatures collected from my site modelyissue.com to be submitted physically to Tesla and other organizations. But if you have any more ideas, please, let us know!

Yes, my late August/early September M3P that I picked up on 9/9 also does this. The second I open the door it starts and doesn’t stop until we’ll after it’s idle or perhaps even sleeping. I might capture a few recordings of it starting on open, etc., if I get a chance.

I became most curious about it last week when a curbside grocery pickup that usually takes ten minutes stretched to an hour due to staffing issues at the store. Irksome, but my car is new and I didn’t object to the idle time to explore more of its functionality during the wait. The noise was constant the entire hour. I turned off the HVAC and even texted a friend who owns a 2019 to ask what I was hearing. He speculated about the pump being the source, but he’s not heard it yet to realize it’s pretty obvious and not faint.

I’m eager to see if this will continue to be declared in spec or if an issue will be realized that results in corrective action. I love how quiet the car is in most ways and would especially appreciate it being at its quietest when idle. Maybe we have an odd series of wonky pumps… maybe vibration mounts of some sort are missing? Perhaps a pandemic workaround on supply of the part? Be ideal if it was fixable in software, but not holding my breath on that being possible.

Worth my time to make a service request? My spoiler is separating on the left edge a bit (only other issue I can report), so I have an appointment already that I hope gets swapped to mobile service…

I am sorry about your new Model 3 making that noise, but I feel your pain!

I would definitively open a ticket at your nearest service center. The more people complain about this issue the more chances we have that Tesla takes action to replace those pumps. And yes, I also think those are lower-quality replacement pumps that Tesla has mounted because of the current global supply shortages situation. Please, as I wrote above, insist on Tesla because they'll be dismissive about this issue. I had to fight to let them understand that my Model Y had this noise compared to previously produced Model Ys.

• Funny
Reactions: SaintMickey®
I don't have a new 3, but I can tell you that if I park mine in the garage and the sentry is also on, I get a distinct hum noise. If I turn the sentry off, the hum goes away too, just fwiw.

Then you don't have the same problem. The noise we are complaining about never stops.

Watch my video here to understand exactly what it does:

Thanks ;)

OP, there is no need to post your petition website in every post you make in this thread.

We normally frown on people trying to re direct from this website to another one (which is what you are doing), but given that you are trying to drum up support for a petition, I left it in the first post. I removed it from the other posts you made in this thread, but am asking you to not continue to do that.

thank you.

OP, there is no need to post your petition website in every post you make in this thread.

We normally frown on people trying to re direct from this website to another one (which is what you are doing), but given that you are trying to drum up support for a petition, I left it in the first post. I removed it from the other posts you made in this thread, but am asking you to not continue to do that.

thank you.

That makes sense. Thanks for helping and steering me in the right direction ;)

I am sorry about your new Model 3 making that noise, but I feel your pain!

I would definitively open a ticket at your nearest service center. The more people complain about this issue the more chances we have that Tesla takes action to replace those pumps. And yes, I also think those are lower-quality replacement pumps that Tesla has mounted because of the current global supply shortages situation. Please, as I wrote above, insist on Tesla because they'll be dismissive about this issue. I had to fight to let them understand that my Model Y had this noise compared to previously produced Model Ys.
Mobile service is coming next week to address my spoiler starting to detach on the left end. I’ve added this to the service request and they confirmed the mobile tech will inspect it.

I was doing a drive-thru pickup last night where the car would have been virtually silent if not for this constant noise coming from the front right area. I realized in the process that I could actually feel the corresponding vibration slightly in the steering wheel. It’s not an inconsequential sound. If it were periodic, I might not think about it… but it flat out never stops from the moment you open the door to after you walk away.

Mobile service is coming next week to address my spoiler starting to detach on the left end. I’ve added this to the service request and they confirmed the mobile tech will inspect it.

I was doing a drive-thru pickup last night where the car would have been virtually silent if not for this constant noise coming from the front right area. I realized in the process that I could actually feel the corresponding vibration slightly in the steering wheel. It’s not an inconsequential sound. If it were periodic, I might not think about it… but it flat out never stops from the moment you open the door to after you walk away.

Good about the mobile service, please, keep us updated with that.

As for the noise, I feel your pain 100%. I am doing everything possible to have Tesla fix this issue. My hope is that Tesla will realize this is a big problem and will offer pump replacement to whoever requests it.

Status
Not open for further replies.