Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't get your Tires from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model X Front Driver-side Tire has a huge BUBBLE in the side-wall. Have owned for a bit over a year. Called Tesla and was told they provide NO WARRANTEE for Tires EITHER NEW OR REPLACEMENTS!!!! No ROAD HAZARD, mileage, NOTHING!!! So, not only is there no incentive to get your Tires replaced by Tesla BUT there is a very real DISINCENTIVE!!! Sorry if this is an old Thread. I couldn't find that anyone explained this to the Tesla family! Maybe it should be flagged as permanent?!

My Model X Front Driver-side Tire has a huge BUBBLE in the side-wall. Have owned for a bit over a year. Called Tesla and was told they provide NO WARRANTEE for Tires EITHER NEW OR REPLACEMENTS!!!! No ROAD HAZARD, mileage, NOTHING!!! So, not only is there no incentive to get your Tires replaced by Tesla BUT there is a very real DISINCENTIVE!!! Sorry if this is an old Thread. I couldn't find that anyone explained this to the Tesla family! Maybe it should be flagged as permanent?!
Go to Americas Tire. If there is any warranty available they will take care of it. They are also a lot less money for tires.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Audi does not include a warranty on their new car tires either...this is NOT unique to Tesla. Ironically the Audi authorized tires from Michelin have a lesser warranty than the matching,non-Audi version so I bought my wife the other ones...

A Bubble in the sidewall is not usually a defect in the tire, it’s from impact or damage.

That being said, I buy my tires from Tire Rack. They have a great road hazard warranty, and are super cost effective! (They send the tires to my local Tire shop and I go in to get them fitted).

I recommend alignment at a Tesla service center though, my experience with alignment at tire shops hasn’t been that great.

I prefer Tesla staff to put my car on a lift. And prefer that they handle the swapping summer for winter tires.

Buy your tires (Tesla OEM’d tires) from Tire Rack with the Tire Rack road hazard and have them ship the tires to a Tesla SC and Tesla will mount and balance them with the quality Hunter machines and less risk to putting a hole in your battery with a misplaced lift.

I prefer Tesla staff to put my car on a lift. And prefer that they handle the swapping summer for winter tires.

Buy your tires (Tesla OEM’d tires) from Tire Rack with the Tire Rack road hazard and have them ship the tires to a Tesla SC and Tesla will mount and balance them with the quality Hunter machines and less risk to putting a hole in your battery with a misplaced lift.

How much is labor from Tesla?

Thanks

Reactions: WINGIT
Most all dealerships or Tesla service centers will charge more for tires than the well known discount internet and neighborhood stores. Those places have far less expensive costs of doing business. A full time tire guy will be paid less than a factory trained mechanic.
Independants have far better warranties and flat fix service than the OEM's

How much is labor from Tesla?

Thanks
$120 for 4 mount and balance. And they won’t screw up the TPMS also. It’s totally worth it to me. You have to use Tesla spec’d tires though. So Sottozeros for winter, or any of the summer or all seasons that Tesla sells. I think Tesla may have once specd X-Ice so they might install those too.

Twice I had a tire store do the swap when I was using non-Tesla OEM winter tires that Tesla wouldn’t mount and one time the tire store screwed up the TPMS (I just went all winter without that tire monitored) and the other time I was wincing as I watched them place the lift under the car.

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing and WINGIT
My Tesla Service Center recommend going to Discount Tire. The one near the Service Center does a ton of Tesla, they know exactly how to lift the car properly, how not to mess up the TPMS, etc. They probably do more tire changes than the service center so I would not worry about using them.

Beside saving a lot of money and time, they also do rotations and flat repairs free.

Most all dealerships or Tesla service centers will charge more for tires than the well known discount internet and neighborhood stores. Those places have far less expensive costs of doing business. A full time tire guy will be paid less than a factory trained mechanic.
Independants have far better warranties and flat fix service than the OEM's

Funny thing about that. When I took a bolt near the edge of one of my tires a little over a year ago, my local NTB wanted a few hundred dollars more for the tire than the service center did - and they'd have to order it which would take a couple days, while the service center had one on hand and did it in half an hour or so while I waited. I would never have taken a car back to a dealer for a tire and it wasn't my initial plan for the Tesla, but it worked out better in my case.

In Cal tire places might know Tesla better.

Be careful going to Jim Bob's Tire Shop outside California where they've never seen a Tesla before.

And all the Tesla Service Centers use the fancy Hunter mount and balance machines that care for the wheels properly and a lot of other tire places do not.

My Tesla Service Center recommend going to Discount Tire. The one near the Service Center does a ton of Tesla, they know exactly how to lift the car properly, how not to mess up the TPMS, etc. They probably do more tire changes than the service center so I would not worry about using them.

Beside saving a lot of money and time, they also do rotations and flat repairs free.