Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't need PPF? Think again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have PPF full front scheduled the very next business day after I pick up my Y. $1599. Hesitant to do anymore as Im.already putting alot of money on this with holidays coming.

Am I suppose to do the rear door panel/rockers?

Last edited:
This is really helpful, especially for the folks in winter climates. I once made the mistake of following a salt truck in a snow storm and it chipped away in several places on the hood of another car (toyota), and not sure how well the Y would have fared, but this rocker panel issue is concerning.

If I'm planning to get a vinyl or some type of 3m wrap to change the color of the car, PPF or some type of additional protection likely wouldn't be needed then?
I believe vinyl wrap is 3.5-5 mils thick depending on manufacturer and xpel or other PPFs are 8 mils thick with a thin self healing outer layer which is why it offers more protection. Vinyl is better than nothing

Last edited:
Yeah probably a good idea. I'm getting mine in Dec sometime and already looking for places to do this.

If you're looking for a great place to do PPF and/or ceramic coating, please check out Craft Detailing in Dedham. They are the experts. I drove 2 hrs to have my red M3 done on Oct 19, then back on Nov 9 for the post-application wash and check out. Everything is fine and the whole exterior is shinny and beautiful.

The PPF and ceramic applications require two days, so I stayed nearby and had a mini vacay. For me, it was worth the cost.

Yeah probably a good idea. I'm getting mine in Dec sometime and already looking for places to do this.

If you're looking for a great place to do PPF and/or ceramic coating, please check out Craft Detailing in Dedham. They are the experts. I drove 2 hrs to have my red M3 done on Oct 19, then back on Nov 9 for the post-application wash and check out. Everything is fine and the whole exterior is shinny and beautiful.

The PPF and ceramic applications require two days, so I stayed nearby and had a mini vacay. For me, it was worth the cost.

Thank you! Contacted them. I live in the next town over so the location is perfect.

Yeah, this is why I got whole car PPF... I had a BMW M3 awhile ago that had similar issues because the door/fender flared out so much. Tesla should have known about this and installed some PPF there from the factory imo. You should never design a car that can be sand blasted in the first 100 miles of driving so I blame Tesla on this one. I thought the black plastic under it would be strong enough.. wrong, its super soft and will get damaged as well.. at least that part should be replaceable pretty easily I hope. Still Tesla should know better!!!

If PPF is so needed and so great, why doesn't Tesla just include it automatically? I really don't want to blow $2000 on this =(

Because they are cheap or idiots.. I mean BMW is the same way. Its not just a Tesla thing. Either they are just ignorant and don't look cars over for stuff like this in their tests. Or they decide its not worth the extra couple dollars it costs them. Either way its one or the other. IMO though, Tesla should have been on top of this and included some PPF in that area, other car companies do it.

If PPF is so needed and so great, why doesn't Tesla just include it automatically? I really don't want to blow $2000 on this =(

An alternative. No PPF on the hood/front, and then several years from now, pay less than $2k to have the hood/bumper freshly painted. Or, consider how you typically feel about a vehicle after it gets many years old and how most people tend to feel about normal/moderate wear and tear...

Many assume their front ends will be massively rock chipped, but cars have been around for a LONG time. And depending on where you live, how you drive? YOu might have the experience my wife has had with her 109k mile Lexus SUV. A few small chips on the leading edge, nothing major at ALL on the front bumper cover, and after 10 years, neither of us are THAT particular about how the car looks, compared to how paranoid we were when we bought it brand new.

I got my rockers PPF'ed over the weekend. IMG_1382.jpeg