Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody hit my driver's door in the parking lot! I scheduled an appointment with Tesla for next week but does any body have any rough estimate on this dent?

IMG_1438.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody hit my driver's door in the parking lot! I scheduled an appointment with Tesla for next week but does any body have any rough estimate on this dent?

View attachment 910875
PDR is great, but it seems as though they also took some paint out. You may need to get it blown/blended in, rather than doing the entire door. Did you have Sentry on, to capture the car that did it?

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, sorry. That sucks. Just because you can pay it if under $500 does not mean you should. I know accidents happen and I have had the wind take my door a time or two, but if you damage someone else's property, you take responsibility in my opinion. There is no way someone smacked your door that hard and did not notice. They looked and decided they thought they could get away with it and have 0 respect for you. If I know who it was and they ran off, I'd track them down and present them with the bill, evidence, and an understanding that any arguments can be made to the police. If they left a note and stayed by to explain, I'd let them off most likely. But that is just my opinion and we have an issue with hit and runs in my area including some kids who were hit which pisses me off.

For the repair. 100% on the PDR as suggested above. After you get the dent out you can have the paint touched up most likely. A good person can do it so you would not notice it after. I'm guessing prices have gone up, but I'd expect a few hundred for a good job. I don't think you should need to repaint the whole panel.

Reactions: TBrownTX and AZAV8R
I wouldn't repaint the whole panel. Just touch it up. A repaint will likely not look as good as the original and just one small ding won't stand out as much. That said, I just got my car back from a high-end Tesla authorized collision shop and it looks like new where they repainted.

First off, sorry. That sucks. Just because you can pay it if under $500 does not mean you should. I know accidents happen and I have had the wind take my door a time or two, but if you damage someone else's property, you take responsibility in my opinion. There is no way someone smacked your door that hard and did not notice. They looked and decided they thought they could get away with it and have 0 respect for you. If I know who it was and they ran off, I'd track them down and present them with the bill, evidence, and an understanding that any arguments can be made to the police. If they left a note and stayed by to explain, I'd let them off most likely. But that is just my opinion and we have an issue with hit and runs in my area including some kids who were hit which pisses me off.

For the repair. 100% on the PDR as suggested above. After you get the dent out you can have the paint touched up most likely. A good person can do it so you would not notice it after. I'm guessing prices have gone up, but I'd expect a few hundred for a good job. I don't think you should need to repaint the whole panel.
The problem is that if I claim it under at-fault driver's insurance, it will have an impact on my car's resale value (They report it to Carfax) so it doesn't make sense! If I want to claim it under my own insurance, I need to pay $500 deductible as well! That's why I prefer to get an estimate first and then make a decision! I know that you can claim the diminished value later with their insurance but for a small dent like this I don't think it worth it!