Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle misaligned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Hey @VanillaAir_UK :) I’m wondering whether we should have a sticky thread for people to add their QC issues, rather than having a thread for each one?

... which I’m going to add to now.

When I got my car chrome deleted on Wednesday, the guy mentioned that one of my door handles wasn’t aligned properly. It hangs slightly lower than the others. I had never noticed it before.

When you pull on the handle you can see that a tab that the handle is supposed to go over is actually above the edge of the handle, if that makes sense, which makes the whole handle slightly lower.

I don’t have any problems opening the door so it’s purely an aesthetic problem (unless it freezes shut in winter more easily). Problem is, I can’t unsee it now...

Normal handle:

F33BA71A-328C-44A8-9C4C-7B9FBD43E34B.jpeg

E1C01C4C-B46C-4C8E-8448-7AA55E6FF820.jpeg

Misaligned handle:

81CCC9B5-5144-43C3-AFEE-ECEA71A7C159.jpeg

6C1D6D23-EBA6-48AF-B699-73105587A8E2.jpeg

What are my chances of getting Tesla to fix this under warranty, given the amount of work involved to get to the handle is not trivial, and they’ll be able to see that I’ve “modded” the handles so might just blame the installer for taking it apart (which he didn’t do)

Thoughts?

I'd be very surprised if that wasn't considered 'within tolerance'. Guess it depends who picks up your request and what mood they're in. No harm in sending the pictures via a service request to see what they say although they may take issue with your 'modification'.

Hate to point it out but that's a strange overrun of paint inside the misaligned handle. Is it the same on the other side? Were the photos a pair of front/rear handles?

Hey @VanillaAir_UK :) I’m wondering whether we should have a sticky thread for people to add their QC issues, rather than having a thread for each one?

... which I’m going to add to now.

When I got my car chrome deleted on Wednesday, the guy mentioned that one of my door handles wasn’t aligned properly. It hangs slightly lower than the others. I had never noticed it before.

When you pull on the handle you can see that a tab that the handle is supposed to go over is actually above the edge of the handle, if that makes sense, which makes the whole handle slightly lower.

I don’t have any problems opening the door so it’s purely an aesthetic problem (unless it freezes shut in winter more easily). Problem is, I can’t unsee it now...

Normal handle:

View attachment 599538
View attachment 599541

Misaligned handle:

View attachment 599542
View attachment 599543

What are my chances of getting Tesla to fix this under warranty, given the amount of work involved to get to the handle is not trivial, and they’ll be able to see that I’ve “modded” the handles so might just blame the installer for taking it apart (which he didn’t do)

Thoughts?
MY handle was the same. Tesla service tech came out and realigned. Had to take the whole door apart. Is perfect now.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
I'd be very surprised if that wasn't considered 'within tolerance'. Guess it depends who picks up your request and what mood they're in. No harm in sending the pictures via a service request to see what they say although they may take issue with your 'modification'.

Hate to point it out but that's a strange overrun of paint inside the misaligned handle. Is it the same on the other side? Were the photos a pair of front/rear handles?
It"s not a paint overrun, it's a tab that is supposed to locate the handle - if that makes sense. The problem on the misaligned handle is that the tab is above the plastic, instead of below it.

You can just about make out the tab below the plastic here:

Untitled.jpg

Reactions: Medved_77
It"s not a paint overrun, it's a tab that is supposed to locate the handle - if that makes sense. The problem on the misaligned handle is that the tab is above the plastic, instead of below it.

You can just about make out the tab below the plastic here:

View attachment 599545
Obviously no way that could be other than an assembly defect with the tab over the plastic. Schedule a service

Reactions: Durzel
Obviously no way that could be other than an assembly defect with the tab over the plastic. Schedule a service

Again the tab is in your picture is the same as mine was. It was an assembly defect, that Tesla fixed by taking the door apart and realigning handle.
Thanks both. Have scheduled a service. Hopefully they won’t kick back about the chrome delete. I can only say that the installer did not take the door cards off to do the job (it’s self evident from the coverage)