Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle not flush

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if anyone else has a door handle that is not flush with their door? My passenger door handle is the only handle that is not flush with the door and is sunken in. Anyone have Tesla fix this for you or do you know if I could adjust on my own? The mobile service came and tried banging it out with a hammer (I know sounds crazy) and it made me cringe hearing the banging. They were not successful at all and broke a clip on my passenger tweeter speaker and didn't say anything. They told me I would need to bring it into a service center to address it. Anyone have this done and was successful?

Attachments

• PXL_20210522_020427660.jpg
    PXL_20210522_020427660.jpg
    794.1 KB · Views: 918
  • PXL_20210522_020436101.jpg
    PXL_20210522_020436101.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 787
I have one like that ....... but it is such a minor concern. The longer I have the car the less I notice it. And I’m not real interested in risking other accidents like the one you mention. I have to say that reading posts on this forum has made me hyper-sensitive to almost imperceptible flaws in my car. And I’ve even noticed flaws in my other vehicles, which I have owned for years, that I have never seen before. So, I’m being pretty selective about what I ask the service center to address for me.

I have one like that ....... but it is such a minor concern. The longer I have the car the less I notice it. And I’m not real interested in risking other accidents like the one you mention. I have to say that reading posts on this forum has made me hyper-sensitive to almost imperceptible flaws in my car. And I’ve even noticed flaws in my other vehicles, which I have owned for years, that I have never seen before. So, I’m being pretty selective about what I ask the service center to address for me.
I know what you mean...I really only had 3 issues with car when I picked it up

1. Carbon fiber spoiler lifting off (pretty common)
2. Coat hook doesn't stay closed on passenger side (annoying)
3. Sunken passenger door handle

They replaced the spoiler and so far that is good, but it's only been one day. Coat hook just seems faulty and you have to put the slightest pressure or else it won't catch and sometimes doesn't catch at all. This doesn't happen at all on the driver side coat hook. I'm tempted to live with it since it would involve dropping the headliner and who knows what else Tesla would break in the process. It's just the door handle that bugs me the most and if that was fixed I would be satisfied. Hopefully someone fixed this on their own which I wouldn't mind tackling.

Yes. I had one handle, the front passenger side that was recessed. Mobile service came out and aligned it as best as they could.

They did the same thing as you mentioned. The tech was very knowledgeable and said it's a fairly common problem. The problem was the mounting "tabs" that the handle mounts on to. The tech said If they hit it too hard, the tabs bend too much and require a special tool to pull it back out, which he didn't have. He also said most techs don't want to fix the issue because it requires the door to be fully disassembled. I saw the process and it looked like a PITA

I'm wondering if anyone else has a door handle that is not flush with their door? My passenger door handle is the only handle that is not flush with the door and is sunken in. Anyone have Tesla fix this for you or do you know if I could adjust on my own? The mobile service came and tried banging it out with a hammer (I know sounds crazy) and it made me cringe hearing the banging. They were not successful at all and broke a clip on my passenger tweeter speaker and didn't say anything. They told me I would need to bring it into a service center to address it. Anyone have this done and was successful?
Yes. Mine was fixed at the local SC. Upload a picture when you make your appointment through the app. In my case they ordered in a new door handle. They installed the new handle and adjusted the fit of another door while I waited. Took about thirty minutes. Enjoy your car!

I test drove a MYP and noticed how sunken in the front passenger handle was. I asked the SA if I saw this on delivery if Tesla would fix it. He told me that it may be within spec. I laughed and told him I wouldn’t accept delivery if they wouldn’t acknowledge to fix something like that. It was so obvious the other 3 handles were flush and this one wasn’t.

My front passenger side is also not flush. If you compare to the other doors, you should see this groove right behind the white paint is wider than the rest. Mobile service said they need to take the panel off and adjust the handle assembly.
IMG_3325.JPG