Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handles: Auto Presenting *AND* Auto Opening Doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The door handles seem to have the following behavior (at least in 4.2 for me):
1. If the car is locked and you approach the vehicle with your fob then only the front driver or passenger door can be tapped to extend the handles
2. If the car is unlocked (either from touchscreen or when double tapping the fob) and the door handles retract on their own then then pressing any door handle will cause all door handles to extend. Not sure why Tesla chose to have this behavior. I switch between having child locks on and off so I'm not sure if that changes things.

Thanks! Your scenario #1 is what I have experienced. I have not tried out scenario #2 yet, but will do so.

I kinda wish only the handle that is pressed would extend. Usually, I'm by myself and don't need all 4 opening. If I had passengers, they could tap their own door, or I could double tap the fob and then present all four handles.

I updated to the latest 4.3 Saturday at the scheduled 2:00AM time. During the day Saturday my drivers door auto opened after I put it in park and the handles presented themselves. Did that twice Saturday. Possible software related? Or just a co-incidence. I've had my car since early November.

I updated to 4.3 on Sunday and have had the same experience yesterday and today with the doors opening when I put it into park. This is new since the update. I had other door issues since day 1 that may have finally been fixed after my fourth service center visit.

I haven't had another random door opening since my first post in this thread about it. After the first and only time it happened to me the passenger side rear door handle would randomly not open the door. The led light in the door handle would be off from time to time.

For several weeks now the door has been working just fine. I've continued to turn on/off the child locks dependent on when my son is riding in the car as I did before. Only thing that I think of that has changed it the temperature and I've now been getting into the habit of drying the water built up inside of the door handle by having them extend and drying every handle inside and out. This also helps to prevent a soapy streak on the car when I engage warp speed.

Just had my first random door opening. Put the car in Park and the driver's door popped open by itself. I believe it's likely that overly sensitive microswitch getting triggered when the handles extend. At least it was the driver's door and not the right rear passenger door (that I might not have noticed).

Wouldn't the car picture with the door open show up on the dash?

It probably would, but the whole Tesla experience is to just get out of the car once parked. No key to turn off, no button to push, no reason to be paying attention to any controls or the dash. If a rear door spontaneously unlatched, it would probably go unnoticed. The driver's door popping open was very apparent.

My door just opened randomly! I walked up my to my car and the passenger side door popped open. I have the new 4.5. What do I do?

I guess the same as the rest of us: Stare at it incredulously, then shut it and be on your way :wink: Seriously, I'm not sure. I've had it happen a total of one times in about 7,000 miles and 3 months of ownership. The first gen handles require a very small amount of movement when pulling to activate the microswitch, and I suspect the action of the handle extending is accidentally triggering this switch.

I had it happen yesterday for the first time after 7000km and 4 months of ownership. I got out of the car and as the handles auto extended the rear passanger side door opened. I'll guess I'll just leave it for now unless it starts happening with some frequency. I have another handle that doesn't always extend. It's pretty rare, maybe 2% of the time (I've already pulled the fuses many times).

I guess the same as the rest of us: Stare at it incredulously, then shut it and be on your way :wink: Seriously, I'm not sure. I've had it happen a total of one times in about 7,000 miles and 3 months of ownership. The first gen handles require a very small amount of movement when pulling to activate the microswitch, and I suspect the action of the handle extending is accidentally triggering this switch.

I had it happen yesterday for the first time after 7000km and 4 months of ownership. I got out of the car and as the handles auto extended the rear passanger side door opened. I'll guess I'll just leave it for now unless it starts happening with some frequency. I have another handle that doesn't always extend. It's pretty rare, maybe 2% of the time (I've already pulled the fuses many times).

I've not had handles fail to extend (unless on the passenger side and just never noticed!), but since 4.5 my passenger side handles start extending an instant before the driver's side.

In my case, I put the car in Park, the handles extended and the driver's door popped open. I was worried that I may not have noticed a door on the passenger side opening and would have just walked away, but since you noticed it, I guess it's somewhat obvious when it happens.

I meant to say rear drivers side door. Although I think passenger side would be pretty noticeable if you're in a quiet area.

I've not had handles fail to extend (unless on the passenger side and just never noticed!), but since 4.5 my passenger side handles start extending an instant before the driver's side.

In my case, I put the car in Park, the handles extended and the driver's door popped open. I was worried that I may not have noticed a door on the passenger side opening and would have just walked away, but since you noticed it, I guess it's somewhat obvious when it happens.

kind of the same thing..?

tonight when I put the car in park, the driver's door made the door latch opening noise and popped open on its own.
I had another door handle just fixed that wouldn't always go in while driving, thats now a 'new' handle compared that has some give before opening, compared to my other originals..

I'm starting to find my left rear door is "auto opening" more than I'd like. A month or so ago it would pop open almost every time the handles extended, then it suddenly stopped doing that and behaved normally. This week, it popped open on its own again, but just one time. My driver's door, which popped on it's own once has never done it since.