Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handles don't present on touch only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s actually not all generations. I have a late 2017 and mine are Gen 3 with the Hall effect sensor. I just finished repairing mine.
they are way simpler to deal with and much more reliable (lasted me 73K miles and over 4years)
my paddle gear broke. Seems to always be the weak link in the chain. Maybe tho this is by design. If the gear were unbreakable the force would move to another component.

You mean like this.

Attachments

• 5C9CF614-C028-4305-9B9B-EF2F56F04075.jpeg
    5C9CF614-C028-4305-9B9B-EF2F56F04075.jpeg
    557.9 KB · Views: 83
Gen3 is not perfect, you can't adjust them without Toolbox. Also sometimes they loose their adjustment by a few mm and you need Tesla to fix it. I also had a time the handle would stop half way when closing but that went away after a few days. (I removed the handle assembly to look if something was jammed but couldn't find anything)

Less failure points I agree but I prefer the gen2 since you can fix them by yourself.

my experience has been different. I completely disassembled mine and replaced the paddle gear. Adjusted the depth of the handle a bit to align with the door opening. and reassembled.
but I did have to stop by Tesla to have them “synced“ with the toolbox software so it opened with the other handles. That cost me 20 bucks and 10 minutes.
do you not have to do the same when replacing the Gen 2 handles?