Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handles vs (expensive) fingernails...grr...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Breaking fingernails on the door handles

I have also experienced this problem with the Tesla. My nails are not fake and they're not brittle at all, but they're medium length, and the way the Tesla door handles are designed, when you go to open the door, it's extremely easy to have your nail trapped in that horizontal slot and it will always break due to the angle It's really frustrating!! It's happened to me a lot with my husband's Tesla, and I personally would not buy a Tesla myself until they fix this problem.

My wife's fingernails are in a battle with the door handles. So far she has lost two nails to the gap between the door and the plate behind the extended handle. Is this happening to anyone else?

Tesla, if you want to sell to professional women you need to have the decision makers reflect the target market. As a stock holder, I encourage Tesla to hire more female engineers & board members.

Oh, and if your answer is that she should learn to use the handle differently I will remind you of Steve Job's winning advice about how to hold the iPhone correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not the problem. It's the design of the horizontal slot that's the problem. It sits in such a way that your finger nail gets stuck in it, and when you go to take it out, it breaks. This has happened to me many times, and the handles have always been fully out.

I believe Tesla has become aware of this issue, and is taking steps to correct it.

In the Model X the doors can be powered and will self open as the person approaches the vehicle.

The door handles no longer need to be pulled on, as with a light touch the doors will present themselves and opened automatically.

The falcon wing doors are also motorized and automated, so no handle needs to be pulled to operate.

Not sure if they will offer a retrofit for existing model S, but you might see this system offered as an option when ordering.

Same thing with the rear hatch. Some did not wish to open it manually, so they offer an automated system that opens or closes the door with the touch of a button