Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handles: Warning! Random Door Opening While Locked!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been observed on cars before the auto presenting feature was made available. See this video at about 40 seconds in.
Thanks mknox but it's different situation. In the video Ben unlocked the car with his FOB and the door opened itself at that time. My understanding of the reports on this thread is that the bug reported is that doors spontaneously unlock and open by themselves. I'm still wondering if this has happened to anyone without the Tech package.

Thanks mknox but it's different situation. In the video Ben unlocked the car with his FOB and the door opened itself at that time. My understanding of the reports on this thread is that the bug reported is that doors spontaneously unlock and open by themselves. I'm still wondering if this has happened to anyone without the Tech package.

If you watch closely, the handles come out, then the door opens in that order. Doug_G reported that Tesla has incorporated some sort of mechanical interlock so that the microswitch (that activates the door solenoid) cannot be operated when the handle is retracted. I contend that the door opening problem occurs after the handle has extended, and that the sensitivity (i.e. the amount of door handle travel) is too fine, and nuisance microswitch activations are occurring. I don't think it has anything to do with the Tech Package, but would be interested to know if anyone without the Tech Package is experiencing the problem.

EDIT: I do recall a post from someone who had his door pop open while he was driving in a parking lot. It would seem unlikely that the door handle was extended in that situation, so there could be something else going on here too.

@mknox, that's not the case. From what I was told, the logs showed very clearly that my car's glitch was triggered by the handle microswitch. The doors were closed and the handles retracted at the time. The car responded as if someone was opening the door from inside.

@mknox, that's not the case. From what I was told, the logs showed very clearly that my car's glitch was triggered by the handle microswitch. The doors were closed and the handles retracted at the time. The car responded as if someone was opening the door from inside.

It sounds to me that the "open door" switches from the inside and outside handles go to a single input, thus allowing a faulty exterior switch to trigger the behavior of the inside door handle.

In hindsight it seems that the exterior unlock should be two mechanical switches in series, one that closes when the handle is extended and a second that closes when it the handle is pulled. Either that or wire the two handles to separate inputs and have the software ignore the exterior switch if the software hadn't extended the handles...

Glad you (hopefully) got things sorted out.

I thought the interior handles were purely mechanical releases...at least the front doors. I believe you said that all of the handles were extended and one door was ajar. Does opening a door from the inside normally cause all the handles to extend? For some reason, I am extremely curious about these door handle issues. :confused:

I thought the interior handles were purely mechanical releases...at least the front doors. I believe you said that all of the handles were extended and one door was ajar. Does opening a door from the inside normally cause all the handles to extend? For some reason, I am extremely curious about these door handle issues. :confused:

With the current software, door handles extend in unison.
The interior releases are electronic. There are physical overrides, but the normal actuation is electronic.

No, all doors are electric releases. As cinergi says the current firmware extends all door handles in unison.

On firm 4.2, I stopped on a 30 degree sideways angle driveway. Drivers side down. I put the car into park. The handles extended and the rear drivers side door tried to open as others have described. The door latch partly opened. Only 1/2 inch or so. It did register as open on the dash warning light.

On firm 4.2, I stopped on a 30 degree sideways angle driveway. Drivers side down. I put the car into park. The handles extended and the rear drivers side door tried to open as others have described. The door latch partly opened. Only 1/2 inch or so. It did register as open on the dash warning light.

Happened to me twice about six weeks ago, the driver side door popping open two times, as I put the car in park. Just days into ownership, I thought it might be normal (heck, kind of convenient, like an auto-valet as the car was put in park...); occurred along w several early software bugs I had, all of which (All) disappeared with firmware update and, like the door handle issue, have not recurred. Will report to Tesla and back here if it occurs again, but argues against a micro switch issue for me as it never occurred again after the update.

Happened to me twice about six weeks ago, the driver side door popping open two times, as I put the car in park. Just days into ownership, I thought it might be normal (heck, kind of convenient, like an auto-valet as the car was put in park...); occurred along w several early software bugs I had, all of which (All) disappeared with firmware update and, like the door handle issue, have not recurred. Will report to Tesla and back here if it occurs again, but argues against a micro switch issue for me as it never occurred again after the update.

It happened to me twice today within 5-10 minutes. Walked by my car, while walking through the garage, the handles dutifully auto presented, but music began playing. I walked around the car and found the driver's door open. I closed it, went outside for about 10 minutes and while walking back into the house through the garage and by the car the car handles dutifully extended again, and this time I heard music start, knew just what it was, walked around to the driver's side, and sure enough, the door had popped open (to the first latch). I'm on 4.2

These door handle issues are a bit concerning, but at least the Model S has 'normal' doors. I'm foreseeing all kinds of issues for the Model X and the complicated falcon doors. I like design over function some times, but it's time to get the handles working right!

It happened to me twice today within 5-10 minutes. Walked by my car, while walking through the garage, the handles dutifully auto presented, but music began playing. I walked around the car and found the driver's door open. I closed it, went outside for about 10 minutes and while walking back into the house through the garage and by the car the car handles dutifully extended again, and this time I heard music start, knew just what it was, walked around to the driver's side, and sure enough, the door had popped open (to the first latch). I'm on 4.2

That's a different problem than the one originally posted here. That is the "door popping when you unlock it" symptom, as opposed to the "door randomly opening all by itself" symptom. You can't assume it's the same failure mechanism.

FWIW since the two door handles were replaced, I have yet to experience a recurrence.

That's a different problem than the one originally posted here. That is the "door popping when you unlock it" symptom, as opposed to the "door randomly opening all by itself" symptom. You can't assume it's the same failure mechanism.

FWIW since the two door handles were replaced, I have yet to experience a recurrence.

Thanks, you are correct, mine is definitely not the open when locked bug. I've contacted service and made them aware anyway. I've been told that if it happens again, let them know.

Maybe the door is not actually locked, even when you think it is, and it's supposed to be. See this thread.

Nope, my car was locked. I took to using the FOB to lock some time ago - I don't want to wait for the car to be out of my sight before it's locked. Also Tesla did check the logs and confirmed what happened.

In any case, there hasn't been a repeat since the handles were changed. Now that I have the app I also use it to verify that the car is locked - just in case.

we took delivery on Saturday, the car came with 4.2. Saturday night I was in the car when the drivers side rear door popped open. after shutting it, the right rear door would not open accept from the inside, until tonight. tonight, I went to take the trash out and noticed the door handles out and their lights on around the handles. I went around and the passenger side back door was open. I have a call into service, it's really weird to me that the doors can open themselves.

Happened to me twice today. First time was this morning when I noticed that the front passenger door was slightly ajar and must have popped open when the door handles extended as I was leaving the car. Second time was this evening after I exited the car and checked to see why the doors wouldn't lock after pressing the key, eventually noticing that the left rear door was slightly open. Good thing I hadn't relied on the auto-lock feature as I walked away from the car, otherwise it would have been left open.

Anyone had this problem fixed and know what the cause is? I will contact the service center tomorrow.

Happened to me twice today. First time was this morning when I noticed that the front passenger door was slightly ajar and must have popped open when the door handles extended as I was leaving the car. Second time was this evening after I exited the car and checked to see why the doors wouldn't lock after pressing the key, eventually noticing that the left rear door was slightly open. Good thing I hadn't relied on the auto-lock feature as I walked away from the car, otherwise it would have been left open.

Anyone had this problem fixed and know what the cause is? I will contact the service center tomorrow.

My service center is replacing two door mechanisms, as this has happened with two doors for me (driver door, and rear pax-side door). Personally, I think it is a software error of some kind.