Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Lock on leaving erratic operation??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have all my menu options set correctly for the doors to lock when I leave the MY (my third Tesla, 2nd MY). I've "rebooted" the car and did a full shutdown. Mirrors don't fold in either.

Thoughts.

If no one's suggestions work since it's a new car, I'll just call in for service I guess.

Rich

I have all my menu options set correctly for the doors to lock when I leave the MY (my third Tesla, 2nd MY). I've "rebooted" the car and did a full shutdown. Mirrors don't fold in either.

Thoughts.

If no one's suggestions work since it's a new car, I'll just call in for service I guess.

Rich
This has happened to me, too. When my MYLR receives a software update, some things start to go wonky. I find that I need to do a soft reset (press both rollers on the steering wheel). That usually resolves the problem. Unfortunately, I don't know of what the next steps may be for you.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
This has happened to me, too. When my MYLR receives a software update, some things start to go wonky. I find that I need to do a soft reset (press both rollers on the steering wheel). That usually resolves the problem. Unfortunately, I don't know of what the next steps may be for you.
Did the soft reset, did the full shutdown. Double (triple) checked the options selected.

Will try one more time today (resets) before calling for service.

Rich

Both the unlocking and locking has been buggy for a while, although the lock on walk away seems to be a bit more reliable out and about but less reliable at home, at least for me. Had the same problems in the M3 and the new MY.

Last edited:

Thoughts.

Rich

How far are you walking away from the car to verify whether its working or not? I can sometimes get 80-90 feet away before it locks, now, but it always locks.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
I haven't seen a reliability issue with this myself. I do have the honk on lock set so that I can be sure of it. At home, I walk into the house and hear the horn almost immediately. Out and about I get just a bit farther away and it locks. The only time it "failed", it was me - user error - I left my phone on the charging pad. When I didn't hear the horn, I realized what happened and went right back and got the phone. So far it has been solid for me.

I seem to find that the unlocking can be a unreliable at times.
It started off rock solid for the first month, but I have a Samsung android phone and have the suspicion it started acting up after an android update.
It seems to have improved recently - there have been 2 subsequent updates.

On the other side of the coin, the locking as you walk away has always been rock solid.
I have it set to honk (just as confirmation).
I think there is a distance/time aspect to the locking. If I walk away quickly I can get quite a distance until it locks.
If I am delayed a little, it can lock quite close by.

Uninstalling the phone app and reinstalling is worth a shot before calling service.

How far are you walking away from the car to verify whether its working or not? I can sometimes get 80-90 feet away before it locks, now, but it always locks.
Clearly, great minds think alike. Yesterday wife and I went to a local parking lot. While my spouse (with no FOB on her) watched as I walked away with my phone (the "key"). I was a full (estimated) 75 feet away when the car finally locked itself up. So, "problem" solved I guess. My other MY (a lease now returned) and my M3 SR lock up only a few feet from when I leave the vicinity of the vehicles. Go figure.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Rich