Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Pillar error message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my MYLR with FSD about a month ago, 360xxx, and daily since delivery I have been getting error messages from both door pillar cameras "Door pillar camera blocked or blinded. Clean camera or wait for it to regain visibiity" This error is making Autopilot and Nav on Autopilot unusable. I Keep my car clean and nothing is blocking the cameras. I live in Michigan, could the snow be blinding the cameras? If so it's a poor design. Contacted Service and they will coming out on Wed to look over the car. If this is going to continue there is no reason for me to keep the car if I can't use the most important features.

Condensation can form inside the camera enclosures, especially if you park your vehicle outside in cold or wet conditions. The touchscreen may display an alert stating that a camera is blocked and that some or all Autopilot features may be temporarily restricted until the camera vision is clear. To proactively dry the condensation, precondition the cabin by setting it to a warm temperature, turning the windshield defroster on, and directing the front air vents toward the door pillars (see Mobile App).
Try turning windshield defroster on. raise temperature, and direct air toward the b pillar.
or it could be because of direct sunlight blinding the camera temporarily.

Reactions: Mike_TV
I get this occasionally as well. Of course when it’s actually dirty or blocked by snow/water over the camera. But have also noticed several times where it’s completely dry and not snowing/raining. Seems like it’s when the sun is hitting the camera as it goes away when turning a different direction. Not sure if this is normal or not and hasn’t happened often enough to make me investigate further. Just a data point for you as maybe it’s being blinded at times by the sun.

My car shows a message for the same reason. When I got out of the car and checked, it was the same as the attached picture.
The camera on the left pillar is damp and the FSD does not work. Do you have anyone like this?

Attachments

• 20220312_175102.jpg
    20220312_175102.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 193
Remember, it's a camera. It's the equivalent of what you'd see if you pointed the camera of your phone to the sun, or tried taking a picture in a very dimly lit room. It simply means the camera is not providing enough data for the car to safely determine road/traffic conditions at the moment.

This happens occasionally, mostly due to direct sunlight during sunrise or similar. However, I don't think it's ever affected auto pilot engaging. Regardless, auto pilot is in beta. There is no expectation for it to be fully functional in all conditions.

This happens to MY randomly and is very frustrating since the car is spotless. You have to wonder how Elon's 'All Vision FSD' will work 100% when one or more of the cameras are naturally blinded by the sun, rain, dirt, snow, etc?

This happens to MY randomly and is very frustrating since the car is spotless. You have to wonder how Elon's 'All Vision FSD' will work 100% when one or more of the cameras are naturally blinded by the sun, rain, dirt, snow, etc?
You have to wonder how well you will drive with a towel on your head? :)

Actually, both the cameras and FSD have done well (in YouTube videos and for me) when driving into the sun .. in fact the cameras manage to pick out lane lines and cars far better than I can both with direct sunlight and driving rain late at night. But of course you can't expect the cameras to driver when they truly can't see anything, any more than you can.