Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door sensor function and testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a series of issues with my recently purchased Model X. These have included several relating to door function:

ALREADY FIXED:
- Auto present not working (apparently they forgot to install a "module" at the factory).
- Passenger door rattle and display intermittently showed "passenger door open" - both apparently due to a faulty latch - the latch was replaced.

CURRENT / ONGOING PROBLEMS:
- Further annoying rattle associated with passenger side FWD.
- Yesterday the display kept flashing the "close all" button on and off (with all doors closed).
- A few days ago, when the passenger door was opened it swung and hit the car parked next to me - thankfully no damage done.

My questions for this post concern the last one on the list.
1) My understanding is that all doors (front and back) should open WITHOUT hitting an adjacent car. Am I correct that this is the intent? What are others' real-world experiences?
2) If I stand in front of any of the doors and open then, they will ALL open into me (with some force) before stopping. But I've read that this is typical and the sensors only detect "hard" surfaces like another car. So how can I test the function without risking damage to another vehicle (or my own)?

My understanding is that all doors (front and back) should open WITHOUT hitting an adjacent car. Am I correct that this is the intent? What are others' real-world experiences?

In my experience so far that has been the case, however a strong wind can catch the door once released by the electric motor and cause it to hit an adjacent object. I caught my driver door once in the nick of time.

You cannot 100% rely on the doors not hitting obstacles. The reason is that the side sensors are located in the rear FWD and they can't "see" the complete arc of the front doors. It's quite possible to have an obstruction (eg a pole) near the front half of the front door that is out of range of the FWD sensors. In that case, the door can tap that obstruction if not manually stopped.

Jeeps17: That doesn't sound unreasonable - but no wind on the day in question.

vandacca: That doesn't sound unreasonable either - but this was another car parked in the adjacent space.

The sensors on the driver door seem to work. If I approach the car from the front the auto presenting driver door will unlatch and then wait for me to walk past before continuing to open (kind of cool).

I guess I'll just ask the SC to take a look and test it - that way they can be responsible for any damage done!