Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double-charged by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s exactly what I think too. I am surprised at the amount of apologists on here. I knew Elon had a cult following, I didn’t know it was that bad. The issue started with Tesla, it should be resolved by Tesla. Whether it is through their system or by talking to the ACH vendor THEY have a contract with, Tesla should be the ones taking the steps, not the customer. As far as making it right, I am in the customer service business, there are a lot of things that companies can do at no or low cost to them, that will make the customer/guest/client feel heard and better about their experience.
As much as you say the problem started with Tesla and so they should resolve it, it doesn’t change the fact that these issues have a resolution framework in place that’s generally simple and quick. Up the thread a BoA client mentioned how easy it was to get reversed. Would it be great if Tesla just sent the money back? Of course. Do they need to? Not at all. The ACH system already has all the safeguards needed but the consumer needs to speak to their bank.

And please don’t call me a Tesla or Elon fan. I think the cars are meh and will never own one, but saw this nonsense and thought I could help by explaining to people how to get these charges fixed.

Reactions: GreenT
I don’t believe I was referring to you as an apologist, more the handful of people saying “it’s not a Tesla issue, they shouldn’t be doing anything for you” and things like that.

The fact that there is a way to resolve this without the help of Tesla doesn’t mean they should be absolved of any responsibility for poor customer service or follow-through. If I go to the barber and get a bad haircut, just because I go to another barber to fix it, doesn’t mean that the first barber wasn’t at fault.

That’s exactly what I think too. I am surprised at the amount of apologists on here. I knew Elon had a cult following, I didn’t know it was that bad. The issue started with Tesla, it should be resolved by Tesla. Whether it is through their system or by talking to the ACH vendor THEY have a contract with, Tesla should be the ones taking the steps, not the customer. As far as making it right, I am in the customer service business, there are a lot of things that companies can do at no or low cost to them, that will make the customer/guest/client feel heard and better about their experience.

The apologists or fanboys, who ever they may be, didn't get double charged and were told to fix it themselves.

Just shameful on Tesla's part to do this in the first place if it is in fact cooking the books before the quarters end. I'm sure the last time this happened it was a software glitch as they claimed and there will be excuses this time too. Have to make the shareholders happy after all.

Here is food for thought and I've done this many times with a simple phone call. Anytime you are transferring large one time payments to an institution, call your bank and ask for a temporary checking account number, transfer the funds in that account and they have no way to pull more than they are owed. A little extra peace of mind to avoid debacles like this.

Good luck to the OP.

Reactions: GreenT and designrs
So if Tesla had a functioning PR or communications department - the response would sound something like this:

"We are working diligently with our financial partners to ensure that our customers are properly charged for their purchases, and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our customers. We are also working to ensure these discrepancies will not affect any additional customers going forward."

Would something like this have been so difficult to say ?

Just shameful on Tesla's part to do this in the first place if it is in fact cooking the books before the quarters end. I'm sure the last time this happened it was a software glitch as they claimed and there will be excuses this time too. Have to make the shareholders happy after all.

One car isn’t going to make a difference in quarter’s end. It would have to be a larger scale plot, and, if deliberate, Tesla would get punished severely by finance regulators.

Here is food for thought and I've done this many times with a simple phone call. Anytime you are transferring large one time payments to an institution, call your bank and ask for a temporary checking account number, transfer the funds in that account and they have no way to pull more than they are owed. A little extra peace of mind to avoid debacles like this.

Good luck to the OP.

Thumbs up on this suggestion. Never wire money from an account with significant excess funds.

Reactions: af88
One car isn’t going to make a difference in quarter’s end. It would have to be a larger scale plot, and, if deliberate, Tesla would get punished severely by finance regulators.

Thumbs up on this suggestion. Never wire money from an account with significant excess funds.

Only Tesla knows the truth, the CNBC article which led me to this thread and the twitter thread has the OP of that thread getting confirmation by the Burbank Manager at least 400 people have been affected if not more. This is here say of course so take it with a grain of salt, but i would not put it past them since this happened in the past and they blamed software glitch. Only Tesla knows the truth, only way they would get punished is if this garnered enough media attention to get regulators involved and intrigued. The screen failure due to number of Write limitation is a perfect example of being forced to to the right thing by their customers through regulators only.

My personal opinion: I have little to no faith in Tesla personally to do the right thing. As more of the mainstream car MFG catch up in range and price for EV offerings, I believe tesla will lose market share attributed to poor customer service and quality issues which has plagued all of their models up to this point. Right now there is very little which can compete in terms of supply for the range, price and tech. Time will tell...

Only Tesla knows the truth, the CNBC article which led me to this thread and the twitter thread has the OP of that thread getting confirmation by the Burbank Manager at least 400 people have been affected if not more. This is here say of course so take it with a grain of salt, but i would not put it past them since this happened in the past and they blamed software glitch. Only Tesla knows the truth, only way they would get punished is if this garnered enough media attention to get regulators involved and intrigued. The screen failure due to number of Write limitation is a perfect example of being forced to to the right thing by their customers through regulators only.

My personal opinion: I have little to no faith in Tesla personally to do the right thing. As more of the mainstream car MFG catch up in range and price for EV offerings, I believe tesla will lose market share attributed to poor customer service and quality issues which has plagued all of their models up to this point. Right now there is very little which can compete in terms of supply for the range, price and tech. Time will tell...

IF that were the case, forums like this (and many others) would be all lit up with other buyers saying, “Me too!” (to the financial double charge.) THAT would be picked up ASAP by the press, competing auto makers, lawyers, SEC, banking regulators, etc.

We see people here all chime in for a specific maintenance issue. Fallout from being double charged for their vehicle purchase would be huge.

• Disagree
It has already been picked up by the press from the Twitter thread, that is how the CNBC reporter got involved as she was tagged by a user.

Funny thing is I saw this on the local news last night, didn't think much of it. Than this morning it shows up on CNBC to name a few and copied on engadget.

meh, par for the course as far as tesla operates...

The apologists or fanboys, who ever they may be, didn't get double charged and were told to fix it themselves.

Good luck to the OP.
Actually if they did claim a software glitch that does make them liable. In my former life I had a small software company and always had to have liability insurance. Doesn't matter whether tesla bought it or built it.

Reactions: af88
yep, and nothing will happen to tesla just like last time.

Best advice is anyone doing an ACH with another institution is to call your bank to create a temp checking account and only put the amount due in there. Avoids problems like this and future fraud.

Reactions: designrs
I am correct - I've worked for banks for 25+ years including starting one we grew to be one of the largest ACH originators in the nation. I know the rules extensively. Call your bank and tell them that you have an unauthorized transaction that posted to your account. yes, there is not auth like a cc payment - the systems and mechanisms for charge and dispute are completely different.. as I've noted, Reg E applies and has been on the books for eons - there has been no change in the last few years. you have to know what to ask for. some banks have very limited capabilities in blocking reoccurring charges - that does not limit their obligation to return unauthorized debits.
So you're telling me I got myself kicked out of a bank because the bank didn't know what their options and obligations are? It took me another week to get the company which took the money to give me a refund too, and it sounds like it should have been an easy thing for the bank to do.

• Disagree
Banks will only do so much to protect YOUR money (ACH, check, debit cards.)They have certain TOS with their “processing partners” that limits under what circumstances charges can be reversed.

This is why credit cards are so useful for smaller purchases. If you didn’t authorize it, you don’t pay! Credit cards fiercely protect their customers.

Personally, I am not an AMEX fan... but a friend of mine has a huge credit line with AMEX for the buyer protection it provides, which is heavily In favor of the consumer.