Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double-charged by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you give them a software feature that can only be bought once, there's no way they will ever pay for it because they already have it.

Fine, charge them something fair for future upgrades but don’t disavow the entire FSD software package that they purchased (option to use it when it actually becomes available), with the release date of FSD getting constantly pushed off.

Tesla could be making a fortune by selling lane change additions to AP. This feature is fully functional now. Sell that!

Happy that customers are being helped. Guess they would not have been helped if not in the news.

This is not how one does customer service.

Anyone remember pre-Internet customer service training? I was taught.... One bad customer experience equals 10 people knowing how he/she was treated.

Happy that customers are being helped. Guess they would not have been helped if not in the news.

This is not how one does customer service.

Anyone remember pre-Internet customer service training? I was taught.... One bad customer experience equals 10 people knowing how he/she was treated.
Totally absurd statement.

I wonder where the other "hundreds" of customers are that, according to the single source that CNBC quoted, were also double-charged? I haven't counted, but this thread only includes 4 or 5.

• Disagree
Reactions: ct101
However quaint the notion - there is this thing called "customer delight" that some of us think should be applicable in the purchase of consumer goods that start at $50,000 and go way up from there.

This doesn't solely mean lattes in the service center.

But if the company f**** up during the payment transaction - it doesn't remain silent - and it certainly doesn't look around and try to figure out which 3rd party vendor to blame.

Total ostrich in the sand response by Tesla - and I'm sure Elon will deflect as he always does with his usual Twitter boasts and tales.

Totally absurd statement.

I wonder where the other "hundreds" of customers are that, according to the single source that CNBC quoted, were also double-charged? I haven't counted, but this thread only includes 4 or 5.
Umm... 99.9% of car purchasers don't spend their free time on website forums.

Something tells me the huge majority of folks scraping to get their $50,000 back into their bank account aren't trolling around here.

Umm... 99.9% of car purchasers don't spend their free time on website forums.

Something tells me the huge majority of folks scraping to get their $50,000 back into their bank account aren't trolling around here.
Tell me how many did payment in the method that caused this? I directed my bank to wire the exact amount for both of our Tesla's. How many cars were paid by finance companies not customers. I think it is very likely that only a handful of people experienced the double payment. Also if you dont double the amount of money in account you are paying from would the 2nd transaction even go through? Does overdraft protection for most people handle a $50K overdraft?

Tell me how many did payment in the method that caused this? I directed my bank to wire the exact amount for both of our Tesla's. How many cars were paid by finance companies not customers. I think it is very likely that only a handful of people experienced the double payment. Also if you dont double the amount of money in account you are paying from would the 2nd transaction even go through? Does overdraft protection for most people handle a $50K overdraft?
No one knows the true figure -- and that helps prove the point of this whole discussion.

Say Tesla came out with a statement similar to this:

"We want to assure our customers and prospective customers that this was an isolated incident, only involving approximately 400 transactions the week of March 22. We are working very hard to make things right for all concerned, and apologize for the inconvenience this has brought to our new and valued customers."

Was that so hard ? I came up with the above PR gibberish in 3 minutes. You're telling me the Tesla brain-trust couldn't spend 3 hours and do something similar?

No one knows the true figure -- and that helps prove the point of this whole discussion.

"We want to assure our customers and prospective customers that this was an isolated incident, only involving approximately 400 transactions the week of March 22. We are working very hard to make things right for all concerned, and apologize for the inconvenience this has brought to our new and valued customers."

Was that so hard ? I came up with the above PR gibberish in 3 minutes. You're telling me the Tesla brain-trust couldn't spend 3 hours and do something similar?
Lollll would be nice. That a solid statement. You should apply for the Tesla customer relations team

Seriously. That would have gone a long way.

Then: look, and see how many of these transactions may have occurred. It shouldn't be hard of a company with Tesla's sophistication to look for customer accounts with large negative balances attached (refunds needed as posted by the screenshot above). Then, you know what?

REACH OUT to those customers, individually. Tell them you're aware of the situation, and working to make it right. Even if you don't know what the plan is. Tell the aggrieved party that it's being worked on. The vacuum of silence is 95% of what causes customer apprehension.

Tesla's defacto customer response when the poop hits the paddles is, literally, radio silence. On my first purchase, I had an inside sales rep in Vegas who was just DELIGHTED to send me email after email telling me where I stood, how to take the next step, yadda, yadda. As soon as the first, MINOR, issue came up....BOOM. 72 hours of radio silence. Not a reply to an email. Not a reply to a phone call. And a "full voice mail", LOL. Finally got a hold of them, no apology, sorry "it got busy". Gimme a break.

Oh and no solution.

Reactions: designrs
The only remedy at this point is to go to your bank and tag the charges as "unauthorized". They will do an investigation and you should get the money refunded to your account. Tesla will fight the bank on returning the funds to your account, but they'll lose. As more people follow this course of action, it becomes easier for future victims to get their money back as Tesla gets tagged as a "known violator" in each bank's system.

Reactions: designrs

Keep in mind Tesla has no PR department anymore, so there won't be anyone officially doing that or issuing press statements.

Reactions: OrbiterTI4
everydaychris: Excellent news. I'm glad you've been refunded appropriately.

Now, seriously (this is a serious discussion, right?) do you really think you deserve a $2k compensation for this? I hope not. I'd say it's worth some floor mats or 1k of free Supercharging, but really, I don't think you should be joking by making an unrealistic request. It weakens your case, IMO.

Whew. 8 pages of civil discourse, learning about scamming, fraud, and how financial institutions work. And, of course, human nature at work.
Compensation should depend on damages, right? If the extra $52K withdrawal caused other payments to bounce, the damages could exceed $2K. For example, if you had a $40K loan with an into rate of 0.9% for 18 months, and the bounced payment moved the rate to 26.9% APR, that could be way more than $2K over the life of that loan (depending on how many months you had left on it). Missing any of those "no interest, no payments for a year" payments can costs you hundreds for missing the payment too (they count on it, as soon as you miss the final payment at the end, they charge you all the interest retroactively).

Apparently he does with Bitcoin, at least to the extent that transfers have to be initiated from the sender so there's no way to be double-charged! (Well, unless the entire Bitcoin network suffers from a 51% attack, but as of now that's pretty unlikely...)

I believe you missed the joke, sir.