Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double-charged by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a screenshot of my duplicate payment. It's under completed tasks.

I was able to get my Model 3 on Sunday. I asked them/a manager about the double payment and they said it should be refunded this week. I asked to see the ticket on their computer, so they showed me the customer support ticket and it was there. But who knows when someone will fix it.
I strongly suggest you contact your bank and have them reverse the duplicate payment. That may happen faster than from Tesla's side.

...a direct quote from the CNBS article on Tesla double-charging:

"Dave Excell, founder of a financial crime prevention tech firm called Featurespace, said duplicate charges are a common problem in e-commerce and banking, generally."

Seriously, folks, it's a BANKING issue, NOT a TESLA issue.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
...a direct quote from the CNBS article on Tesla double-charging:

"Dave Excell, founder of a financial crime prevention tech firm called Featurespace, said duplicate charges are a common problem in e-commerce and banking, generally."

Seriously, folks, it's a BANKING issue, NOT a TESLA issue.
Yes. These are the NACHA error codes. They are stamped on the transaction along with various details. R24 - Duplicate Entry is quite common.

Reactions: tibook
I realize this is an epic disaster on their part and I’d be fuming. But has no one been double charged before? Or experienced financial issues?

ive had my bank accidentally deposit close to 30k into my account and remove in a couple days later. I’ve had them withdraw 3 mortgage payments in a row AND I was double charged by air Canada and it took over a month to get it refunded. Charges take seconds. Refunds take 20 business days it seems.

system glitches seem common place in my life

I don't think the issue is so much with the double charge “glitch”, yes these things can unfortunately happen, but rather that the process to correct it seems to further highlight the cracks in the Tesla customer service system.

Reactions: GreenT and Hexo09
Hello AM new OwNeR anD nOT saD shOrt

Tulsa diD me a douBle charge to mek profit. Am real Tulsa buyer trust

Well, a couple folks are genuine and it sucks. Anyone who Tesla overcharged has an easy case for any fees they incurred and that will be sorted. Worst case small claims. If they did not incur penalties then it's just an annoyance. This is common practice. It would be nice for Tesla to offer some minor compensation for the issue.

The rest are sock puppets pushing the latest TSLAQ nonsense.

That is not how the ACH system works. They are lying or being incompetent. ACH transactions are easily reversed. Source, I work with ACH interfaces in my day job. Can you go into a branch and yell at someone in person? The fix will be just a couple of keystrokes in their system.

NACHA rules are very clear on this issue. Duplicate payments are easily identified and returned.
Nice to see someone else who understands how this works.

Reactions: Nocturnal
If Tesla can take the money fast, they should be able to refund it just as fast, especially if they were not authorized to take it in the first place. Saying their refunds are slow is just making excuses for an amateur finance department. I am betting Tesla would not accept the same in reverse, someone double billing them and telling Tesla their refund process is as slow as Tesla's refund process.
To understand their back-office strategy and budget is to understand why everyone is having a bad time. Each department has like 13 people who staff it. They find people who are willing to work for minimal money, poor training and no power to actually help anyone that is screaming at them all day. Their solution is to unplug the phone. No, literally. This was their solution to the "problem" of people being charged $54k (or more) twice accidentally. Good luck talking to anyone at Tesla for any reason. This is why they will ultimately fail as soon as the competition comes online. I hate to admit it because I drank the Kool-Aid early on but their days are numbered and Elon will just say that this was the plan all along since he told us the goal was to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy and he will break his own arm patting himself on the back for ushering it in at the literal expense of all of those who supported the vision.

glad i wrote a personal check. probably a lot tougher to dupe those clearings. I would have put on a credit card too for the points but of course couldn't. not just tesla. I've tried toyota and nissan too. both allowed a downpayment (couple grand for some) but had to write a check for the balance. I guess they don't like the merchant charge to eat in to whatever slim profilt.

I don't think the issue is so much with the double charge “glitch”, yes these things can unfortunately happen, but rather that the process to correct it seems to further highlight the cracks in the Tesla customer service system.

Tesla's customer service (admittedly, in some regions, far from the best) isn't able to resolve this. Period. It is NOT within their system to correct.

Any merchant that uses a 3rd party for financial transactions is at the mercy of THAT 3rd party.

If Tesla decides, as a goodwill gesture, to compensate buyers for their inconvenience, they would have to go after the financial institution that created this fiasco to cover those costs. Tesla shouldn't get dinged, financially, for this.

Reactions: Nocturnal
You are incorrect (unless things have changed in the last few years). I had gone through this with a bank (which shall remain unnamed) and apparently , such transfer does not work like a credit card charge where you can dispute it. When I asked for the bank to produce an authorization I signed for the charge, they told me they are not required to provide me one, that their obligation ends with providing me who transferred the money. It was a recurring charge, so I asked if I can block future transactions, they told be "sure", but they need to be accurate down to a penny, no way to block a specific recipient. When I asked to just close the account and start a new one, they told me new transfers will likely automatically forward to the new account. So I asked how does one start such a transfer, they told me all the initiator needs is account numbers and perhaps the name. So I told them I would bring them 1,000 account numbers and names before the end of the week, then ask them to transfer $199 from each account to mine, and if anyone complains, just transfer it back - I will just keep the money the people won't notice. This is where they walked be out of the branch and closed all my accounts, which was fine by me as I was ready to quit the bank and it was actually faster than me having to fill out paperwork to close all the accounts. I shopped around for new banks, and one told me they were in fact able to block any incoming transfer from a particular company, but it would be a manual process so it might delay my other transaction, but I was happy they offered it so signed on with them to do banking - never used that option but it was nice to know it was there. Btw, the original bank approached me with an offer to do business with them a couple of years later, and once I agreed someone called me back to tell me apparently I was banned for life to do business with that bank. I said "ok, no problem, I like your offer but I can live without it", to which the banker told me he will dig deeper into this, and couple of days later apparently the ban was lifted and the bank gave me a live of credit for my business. Such is life....

I am correct - I've worked for banks for 25+ years including starting one we grew to be one of the largest ACH originators in the nation. I know the rules extensively. Call your bank and tell them that you have an unauthorized transaction that posted to your account. yes, there is not auth like a cc payment - the systems and mechanisms for charge and dispute are completely different.. as I've noted, Reg E applies and has been on the books for eons - there has been no change in the last few years. you have to know what to ask for. some banks have very limited capabilities in blocking reoccurring charges - that does not limit their obligation to return unauthorized debits.

Pretty crazy. They said "talk to tesla first and get it taken care of on your end. If you can't we have to close your account due to fraudulent charges and create a new one and investigate"

“Pending investigation” is the usual line. Pray it does go that far.

How is it that banks are really good at CYA for them, but not for YOUR money? This is where credit cards are so much better. Credit cards earn their fees when it comes to protecting consumers from fraud and unauthorized charges.

Tesla's customer service (admittedly, in some regions, far from the best) isn't able to resolve this. Period. It is NOT within their system to correct.

Any merchant that uses a 3rd party for financial transactions is at the mercy of THAT 3rd party.

If Tesla decides, as a goodwill gesture, to compensate buyers for their inconvenience, they would have to go after the financial institution that created this fiasco to cover those costs. Tesla shouldn't get dinged, financially, for this.

I was really more speaking to how this issue highlights problems people have with Tesla when trying to connect with a live person, getting a callback/response, etc.. For better customer service, Tesla needs to have systems in place to be more responsive in helping customers deal with potential issues such as this. No matter who/what may be at fault here, these are ultimately Tesla's customers.

All the hand-wringing about this is really sad. Using terms like "fraudulent" and "Pending investigation" is simply fear mongeri

It‘s not fear mongering.

Fraud: was mentioned in comparing credit card vs. bank resolution processes
Pending Investigation: I’ve been there.

Do I think the OP will get this worked out favorably? Yes.

Will his bank help him? IDK. They already told him to “fix it himself“ or they can close the account and investigate.

This is how banks handle situations dealing with unauthorized charges against YOUR money.
Sad? Yes. Fear mongering? No.

That’s exactly what I think too. I am surprised at the amount of apologists on here. I knew Elon had a cult following, I didn’t know it was that bad. The issue started with Tesla, it should be resolved by Tesla. Whether it is through their system or by talking to the ACH vendor THEY have a contract with, Tesla should be the ones taking the steps, not the customer. As far as making it right, I am in the customer service business, there are a lot of things that companies can do at no or low cost to them, that will make the customer/guest/client feel heard and better about their experience.

Reactions: cwerdna and af88