Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doubting Price is real!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got to thinking last night while auto piloting on my long drive.
I suspect the prices Tesla gave for this truck are not real. They seem far to low for me.

I think everything they are doing is to disrupt sales of any competitor they may have. Besides looks, why would anyone buy a Rivian when they could get a proven Tesla for a lower price? People may hold out on buying another truck in order to buy the cybertruck. Now that its gaining popularity, I think their ploy may work.

Their pricing along with the low down payment, makes me sure. When the truck actually comes out, I suspect another $5-10k added on to initial price

Thoughts?

I suspect the prices Tesla gave for this truck are not real. They seem far to low for me.

I think everything they are doing is to disrupt sales of any competitor they may have. Besides looks, why would anyone buy a Rivian when they could get a proven Tesla for a lower price? People may hold out on buying another truck in order to buy the cybertruck. Now that its gaining popularity, I think their ploy may work.

Their pricing along with the low down payment, makes me sure. When the truck actually comes out, I suspect another $5-10k added on to initial price

Thoughts?

The price could change some sure. These are just base prices, you could easily tack on 5-10k in extras. I disagree that they are going to come out and say "oh yeah we added 10K to the starting price of every model" They are a way more mature company now, Plus the demand is for higher end models anyways which will have a higher profit margin built n.

Reactions: Sherlo
If Tesla history and basic economic theory is any guide then you are correct.
There will probably be a premium/towing/winter package for $10k for all initial builds that later becomes standard.

Maybe, but that's not just being added on to the initial base price. That's added extras, you are getting something else for your money. If they FORCE it at first that would suck, which your correct they probably will.

I said this after the revile, and got railroaded.

I definitely think its to disrupt and get people to "hold off" on other purchases (Rivian, Ford). Two people at my work (+ me) are doing the same thing. Buying a junky truck or getting by for another 2 years until we can get our hands on a Cybertruck. I also expect the "Baseline" price to not have any of the features I'm going to want like larger wheels, Premium interior, high power Inverter, solar option etc. So, I would expect my optioned Dual motor truck is going to be 60k, without FSD.

Which do you Prefer
IMG_9017.jpeg
dims.jpeg

Have they given any hints of offering a Premium interior package that would include things like upgraded seats and stereo, lights, etc? Could they pull a surprise and offer a 300 mile range RWD at a price point between the AWD and Base (didn't they do something like that on the Model 3?). I don't know if some of the cool things like the light bar at the top will be extra or not. I'd be fine with regular tires, the ones at the unveil were serious overkill. And will the 110/220 power supply in the back cost extra? So many unknowns.

Thoughts?
I have a deposit on the CT and Rivian RS1. If Rivian gets absorbed by/partners with Ford and does a hydraulic suspension like the Toyota Land Cruiser and Tesla sticks with air I’ll consider the Rivian. If Tesla Does something stupid like putting big brakes on the tri motor for 20” or bigger wheels I’ll take the Rivian. I may be completely wrong but I don’t see all that many traditional truck loyalists buying the CT.

As for price. I bet the downloadable add ones (auto pilot and so on) will bring it Up ~$5k to $10k+.

• Funny
Reactions: Lardlad

Thoughts?

Im going to say: no. It wouldn’t fit with Tesla’s past at all(where the surprisingly low price absolutely does). I expect prices will be what they say, with the obvious(and largely already announced) options that push higher.

It wouldn’t fit with Tesla’s past at all
When the Model 3 came out there was a mandatory $7k battery upgrade (that only added 25kWh and dropped dramatically in price later) and a mandatory $5k premium interior upgrade (that turned out to not be an upgrade since they never made a non-premium interior). Just saying it's not realistic to expect a company to sell a vehicle for significantly less than what people are willing to pay.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
When the Model 3 came out there was a mandatory $7k battery upgrade (that only added 25kWh and dropped dramatically in price later) and a mandatory $5k premium interior upgrade (that turned out to not be an upgrade since they never made a non-premium interior). Just saying it's not realistic to expect a company to sell a vehicle for significantly less than what people are willing to pay.

Sure, and it’s currently available at ~$900 over the originally announced price, after having been raised a couple times. The OP said the prices for the announced specs would be dramatically higher, not that they’re going to release the ones with higher specs first(which is already known)