Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade SR+ and get $2000 back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just was contacted a little while ago about downgrading finally. They said it would be a $1500 refund. They also sent an email in regards to the features I would lose.

Attachments

• TeslaSRrefund.png
    TeslaSRrefund.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 129
Interesting that no mention of disabling the fog led... So I guess you can still have frog led.

Ya the only thing that anyone would care about is the 20 miles of range. Immersive sound...anyone can barley here the 1 maybe 2 speakers they enable for the SR+. Anyone buying the SR doesn't care about .3 seconds of acceleration and nobody does 130mph on a regular basis. Like I said before...They need to give SR+ owners a reason not to downgrade like Streaming radio or full immersive sound. Basically you just gotta decide if 20 miles of range for you is worth $1500

I just was contacted a little while ago about downgrading finally. They said it would be a $1500 refund. They also sent an email in regards to the features I would lose.
Same! I just called them back and told them I want to think it over.

They said I would keep the heated seats, keep the routing option during navigation, but I would be software locked out of the fog lights.

Not sure what to do, but they said they need an answer but Wednesday.

Any word from the SR folks on how much Tesla is asking for an upgrade? I saw in the email circulated recently that they said SR buyers could stop by a service center to upgrade to SR+ for a price, but I don't think anyone actually reported their price yet.

Just got a call from Tesla as well.
Downgrade will happen within 2 weeks and the refund is $1500. They don't know how much it would be to upgrade in the future yet.
He told me that the fog light will also be disabled? But I don't think that's the case because SR owners still have their fog lights. (Can anyone confirm this?)

So refund is 1500.
I asked why 1500 and here is the calculation that I was basically explained
SR
Cost 35,400
AP 3,000
Total 38,400

SR+ Cost with AP today 39,900

So the proposal is to reimburse the difference which is 1,500USD.
I asked the person to check a couple of things and she should get back to me by tomorrow.
Confirmed that the only different will be fog led, 20 miles and the immersive sound.
None of those interest me.

I was wondering if they were charging something like $3k or more for an upgrade, especially since it comes with standard AP. Maybe Tesla is hoping they'll break even between upgrades and downgrades.

Disclaimer: the below is pure speculation according to personal consideration

I think they'll ask
5,500 to upgrade if the SR was bought without AP.
2,500 if they bought the SR with the AP
If you wonder why 5,500 and not 4,500 because I think the explanation will be: "buy the autopilot after the configuration costs more than buying before delivery".So they'll say: the difference between SR and SR+ is 4,500 at the moment you buy, but since you're "buying" the autopilot after the fact you have to pay the additional 1,000USD

Disclaimer: the below is pure speculation according to personal consideration

I think they'll ask
5,500 to upgrade if the SR was bought without AP.
2,500 if they bought the SR with the AP
If you wonder why 5,500 and not 4,500 because I think the explanation will be: "buy the autopilot after the configuration costs more than buying before delivery".So they'll say: the difference between SR and SR+ is 4,500 at the moment you buy, but since you're "buying" the autopilot after the fact you have to pay the additional 1,000USD

They aren't doing a post-purchase penalty for AP/FSD anymore are they? But I would expect them to charge their standard $500 after order/change fee. So I think it will cost $5,000 to upgrade from a base SR to a SR+. (I doubt they will unlock the features à la carte.)

They aren't doing a post-purchase penalty for AP/FSD anymore are they? But I would expect them to charge their standard $500 after order/change fee. So I think it will cost $5,000 to upgrade from a base SR to a SR+. (I doubt they will unlock the features à la carte.)

No post purchase FSD penalty, but AP is still $3,000 post purchase :( Even though the pre-delivery price is effectively $2,000 now.

What about taxes?
In my area the difference in price between the SR/SR+ with taxes comes to about $5000 (Canadian pesos). At the time I picked up the car that is.
Are you USAians being offered a refund on taxes as well?

We will see. But they did refund taxes afterwards when they refunded the P3D owners $5k... Hopefully they will do it all at once this time.

But they won't be re-doing the MVPA/loan document/DMV registration/etc.. (That could cause vehicle renewal prices to be lower.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Legen---dary
I got a call from Tesla about this and was offered a very similar deal

+ $1500 refund check mailed after the process is done

- Reduced range (20 miles lower)
- Reduced Top speed
- Reduced acceleration
- Lose Immersive sound
- Lose Fog lamps

Wondering if I should take this deal and apply the 1500 towards PPL and window tinting..

Also, I saw earlier that even with the battery software limited to 220 miles, I can charge it to 100% on a daily basis and still get the same effective range as I would with the SR+, and the only downside is during a longer trip, I will not be able to account for an additional 20 miles. Is that correct?

Have till Wednesday to decide...

Also, I saw earlier that even with the battery software limited to 220 miles, I can charge it to 100% on a daily basis and still get the same effective range as I would with the SR+, and the only downside is during a longer trip, I will not be able to account for an additional 20 miles. Is that correct?

Yep. But you would have to deal with the warning coming up everyday, after the first couple day, that charging to 100% all the time is bad for your battery.

This is more typical Tesla nonsense. Instead of stating exactly what features will be removed they just say “several features”. Like it would have been so difficult to type them out and be clear about it. Why do they keep doing stuff like this?

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectrekPanda