Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade SR+ and get $2000 back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any Canadian got their downgrades yet? And what will happen to those people who were promised they could downgrade within the 7 days period and were stalled by Tesla till they ran out of the 7 days return period?

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla refuses to sell the 150 KM version to any Canadian stubborn enough to order it. They haven't come up with a separate name from the American SR, and it would be chaos if they sold two different cars with the same name in North America.

Does Tesla have an official channel to report their employees? It's a little hard to get over they could blatantly lie to my face and then just ignore all email communications.

P.S this is for both the downgrade and the free supercharging that a different employee had wrote to me that I would receive with my referral code, but obviously he didn't add it.

Does Tesla have an official channel to report their employees? It's a little hard to get over they could blatantly lie to my face and then just ignore all email communications.

P.S this is for both the downgrade and the free supercharging that a different employee had wrote to me that I would receive with my referral code, but obviously he didn't add it.

I feel your pain. It’s a tough situation because my experience with Tesla has been that 90% of the stuff Tesla employees tell me turns out to be flat out wrong. So it’s clear that the problem is systemic and companywide. They even put in writing on the website that you could downgrade an SR+ to an SR but then never followed through with a procedure to allow it to happen. So I think the lesson we all have to learn here is to get everything in writing and assume that if you only have verbal assurance of something but not written assurance that it may very well not be correct.

When I was taking delivery of an SR a few weeks ago I was skeptical that I would get the 5,000 bonus miles so I refused to take delivery until a manager put it in writing. It seems silly to have to do this but it’s the only way to protect yourself when dealing with Tesla.

Via Reddit: Emails are going out to early SR purchasers saying they will be software locked within 10 days https://i.imgur.com/t6XHlaj.png

Again, not an indication of anything coming to those of us who took delivery before downgrades were possible, but maybe a sign they'll have something for us shortly.

If it's a software downgrade with refund, I cannot see them doing it before the end of Q2, though.

Via Reddit: Emails are going out to early SR purchasers saying they will be software locked within 10 days https://i.imgur.com/t6XHlaj.png

Again, not an indication of anything coming to those of us who took delivery before downgrades were possible, but maybe a sign they'll have something for us shortly.

If it's a software downgrade with refund, I cannot see them doing it before the end of Q2, though.
I don't expect Tesla to allow any downgrading for people outside of 7 day window.
But if they allow it and if heated seats and faster 0-60 time are not part of the lock, I definitely will downgrade. Lol.

I don't expect Tesla to allow any downgrading for people outside of 7 day window.
But if they allow it and if heated seats and faster 0-60 time are not part of the lock, I definitely will downgrade. Lol.

The email in that image actually explicitly states that acceleration will be locked. I wonder if they're going to follow through on that. Permanent chill mode?

• Funny
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Honestly, after having SR+ for few month now...I'd do a downgrade in a heartbeat. I don't use autopilot anymore much...way too buggy and useless without auto Lane change. 20 miles of range....who cares. Also, it's not like the SR+ has streaming radio so you don't lose anything there and the maps have no satellite view already. I'd gladly save the $$ unless Tesla makes the SR+ more compelling over the SR

So you don't use TACC either? (And would be OK with dumb CC?)

I personally much prefer the old standard style of cruise control, that doesn't slow down too early when approaching cars, or slow down or brake for things that don't even exist. AP in its current very limited feature set is worth maybe $500 tops, once they took away the lane changing capability that EAP has.

Reactions: Keromaru and OCR1
How does a current software locked battery on a Tesla work? I imagined it would just show 0-100% of what was available.

For example an SR and a SR+ are both charged to 90%. The SR would show 315km range while the SR+ would show 348km.

My biggest unanswered question is regarding the battery lock: will it be top-locked (stop charging at 92% of actual capacity), bottom locked (display 0% capacity when actually at ~10%), or a combination of ~5% on each end?

Honestly, I don't think anyone could really answer your question. Because Tesla is still not doing the downgrades for anyone.

Side note, autopilot is probably only good in certain places. It's pretty useless outside of US for now.

Got a call from Tesla about my request to downgrade to standard range...
I couldn't get to it since I was working. As soon as I call them and I have update I'll let everybody know.
Looks like the process is close

Really interested to hear what they offer for the downgrade, but more importantly what they offer not to downgrade. Even if it's like a $1,000 check, I could see a lot of people choosing to downgrade if there isn't another carrot on the other side.