Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downsides of Performance vs Long Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, here's one: Insurance companies WILL charge you higher premiums of you buy a "Performance" model rather than a non-Performance model. It's nothing to do with the car... it's to do with the sort of perople who buy Performance models, and how recklessly they tend to drive.

It’s a total cost to insurance companies that sets the rate. Cost to repair, bodily injury, etc. even if a performance car had more accidents if less people are injured in total then the safer car might be cheaper. Performance cars might be driven less on average. So many variables.

P if you can swing it.
The range difference is almost entirely due to the wheels and tires being VERY different off the lot; if you really need more range, ditch the summer tires for all seasons and get a new wave aero wheel (like the EV-01+). Reality is if you want grip you are likely to ditch the stock LR tires anyways; they are a touring tire with very low rolling resistance. Ditching those for summers or even ultra high performance all seasons and you lose the range advantage, but still don’t quite get the handling of the stiffer M3P.

The LR also has a weaker rear motor (990); the M3P had the 980 which is inherently more capable. The LR allows acceleration boost, but then it’s pretty much maxed out. The M3P with the 980 could (and may one day) get another power bump.

Basically, I’m saying you can more or less then the M3P into an LR with more umph, but it’s impossible to turn the LR into an M3P (at least not the LRs made since 2020 when they dropped the 980 motor from it).

P if you can swing it.
The range difference is almost entirely due to the wheels and tires being VERY different off the lot; if you really need more range, ditch the summer tires for all seasons and get a new wave aero wheel (like the EV-01+). Reality is if you want grip you are likely to ditch the stock LR tires anyways; they are a touring tire with very low rolling resistance. Ditching those for summers or even ultra high performance all seasons and you lose the range advantage, but still don’t quite get the handling of the stiffer M3P.

The LR also has a weaker rear motor (990); the M3P had the 980 which is inherently more capable. The LR allows acceleration boost, but then it’s pretty much maxed out. The M3P with the 980 could (and may one day) get another power bump.

Basically, I’m saying you can more or less then the M3P into an LR with more umph, but it’s impossible to turn the LR into an M3P (at least not the LRs made since 2020 when they dropped the 980 motor from it).
Have they published any of the 980 vs 990 specs? Also, does most of the M3P acceleration improvement come from the front or rear motor or is it a combination?

Have they published any of the 980 vs 990 specs? Also, does most of the M3P acceleration improvement come from the front or rear motor or is it a combination?
I don’t know the actual difference in terms of peak power output; not even sure if it is published anywhere. Just it’s been settled it’s the stronger unit and more capable of delivering (or maybe handling without breaking is the better word?) higher power output than the 990.

The acceleration difference, for the most part, is software. But looking at third party vendors, you can flash the LR with the 980 (the ones that had it...) and make it a performance, but you can’t do that to the LRs with the 990 due to the 990 being the limiting factor. Flashing would, in theory, revoke your warranty either way; if something in the powertrain breaks, rest assured you would have the burden of proof they upping the output didn’t cause the failure.

The only warranty covered upgrade for the LR is the 2k acceleration boost; scream Magnusson act all you like... mess with power through third party and expect your warranty to be voided if something goes down and they find out. Then it’s on you to fight it.

My understanding is the acceleration boost maxes out the safe capability of the 990. The 980, allegedly, has some room beyond the Performance software currently running. I don’t know if this is definitively true, but it would stand to reason. Either way, the 980 is the stronger motor. By how much? I can’t answer that. I’d have to dig and still may not find the answer.

Reactions: raptor5244
That the 990 is a cheaper, less capable, unit is proven by teardowns done to it... since it's missing some of the hardware the 980 has inside.

But it's also provable by basic logic.

If the 990 was cheaper and just as capable it'd be in use in the P and they'd have gotten rid of the 980 by now. But they still use the 980 in the P (and pretty much only in the P anymore last I knew)

If the 990 was NOT cheaper AND less capable it wouldn't even have a reason to even exist.

The only option left is cheaper AND less capable for the 990.

That said- the P has been around for almost 3 years now- and there's never been any suggestion there's going to be any further power unlock offered for it.

So one has to work on the basis that what is there today in both cars is all you're getting.

So $8500 more for 0.9 quicker (measured same way) 0-60 over the AWD, or $6500 more for 0.5 quicker 0-60 over the AWD+, plus track mode with the P for those who would get use from it.
(and the wheel/brake difference which some prefer one way and some the other)

Last edited:
I don’t know the actual difference in terms of peak power output; not even sure if it is published anywhere. Just it’s been settled it’s the stronger unit and more capable of delivering (or maybe handling without breaking is the better word?) higher power output than the 990.

The acceleration difference, for the most part, is software. But looking at third party vendors, you can flash the LR with the 980 (the ones that had it...) and make it a performance, but you can’t do that to the LRs with the 990 due to the 990 being the limiting factor. Flashing would, in theory, revoke your warranty either way; if something in the powertrain breaks, rest assured you would have the burden of proof they upping the output didn’t cause the failure.

The only warranty covered upgrade for the LR is the 2k acceleration boost; scream Magnusson act all you like... mess with power through third party and expect your warranty to be voided if something goes down and they find out. Then it’s on you to fight it.

My understanding is the acceleration boost maxes out the safe capability of the 990. The 980, allegedly, has some room beyond the Performance software currently running. I don’t know if this is definitively true, but it would stand to reason. Either way, the 980 is the stronger motor. By how much? I can’t answer that. I’d have to dig and still may not find the answer.
Thanks for the info. This is one area as enthusiasts I wish Tesla was more transparent about. I enjoy learning about the details. For example, it is fun to compare the differences of ICE based engines, LT2 vs DOHC Coyote, 6 speed vs 8 speed vs 10 speed transmissions, camshaft profiles, tuning, forced induction, etc. I hope at some point we can learn the details of different EV motors, inverters, how the battery impacts peak performance, details on how the traction and stability control software works with open differentials, etc. I know enthusiasts represent a smaller group of folks nowadays but I hope we get still get to discuss more than just our 0-60 times. This is why I wish our cars have different drive modes, magnetic ride suspension and settings, ability to remap the accelerator sensitivity.

Reactions: ajs847
If you look at the hp ratings each of the 3 sub models, the front motor of the LR and P have the same HP ratings. The rear on the P and the SR have the same HP ratings (probably because the single motor model needs more HP than the 990 offers) and the LR has it's own rear motor.

Possibly in the beginning the number of units were such that economies of scale for the units and assembly complexity (there were more RWD models at the time) justified using the same rear motor for all model 3 but with the removal of options (from 6+ to 3 sub models) and the current volume it makes more economical sense to have a cheaper rear motor in the LR AWD.

If you look at the hp ratings each of the 3 sub models, the front motor of the LR and P have the same HP ratings. The rear on the P and the SR have the same HP ratings (probably because the single motor model needs more HP than the 990 offers) and the LR has it's own rear motor.

Possibly in the beginning the number of units were such that economies of scale for the units and assembly complexity (there were more RWD models at the time) justified using the same rear motor for all model 3 but with the removal of options (from 6+ to 3 sub models) and the current volume it makes more economical sense to have a cheaper rear motor in the LR AWD.

Reminder that the early days were LR-RWD only "first production" model with 980 motor. I think they intentionally chose to first offer the "best motor they could make" and stick with the simplicity of RWD while they got some data on reliability and delayed getting their AWD system all sorted out.
Once AWD option was offered they had piles of the 980 motors from the concurrent RWD production so I gather just kept stuffing those in the non-P AWDs for a while. Once they got comfortable that the 990 motor could work well in the AWDs they phased it in for cost savings.

Reactions: raptor5244 and sroy

980 uses Silicon Carbide FETs as part of the power electronics (more durable, higher current capability) and has only been around in the past decade. 970 uses traditional MOSFET IGBTs which have been around since the late 80s. Very different technology and capability. Software flashing won't get you where you want to do since the technology in the rear motor is extremely different.

Surprise this hasn't been posted earlier.

*edit*
I went back on my old spreadsheet from 2 years ago and looks like I made a mistake. The 970 had IGBT, 980 was a ~800A FET, and the 990 was a ~600A FET as well.

1621970919120.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: raptor5244 and TEG
980 uses Silicon Carbide FETs as part of the power electronics (more durable, higher current capability) and has only been around in the past decade. 990 uses traditional MOSFET IGBTs which have been around since the late 80s.

I thought the 990 teardown showed it used the same FETs, just fewer of them? (which would obviously reduce both cost and capability)

Interesting. I was thinking of the Long Range, but with 19” sporwheels. As for acceleration, I currently drive an Audi S5 with a large V8. I love the car, yet the Long Range would leave it way behind from 0-60.
I currently drive an S5 and close to making the move to a model 3. Did you make the switch and how did you find the transition to be? I also love my S5 but about to be out of warranty and I am now commuting around 90 miles a day during the week so fuel/oil change savings would be pretty substantial. Thanks in advance

As I get closer to buying a Model 3, I had questions about the Performance vs the Long Range version. I test drove both and was impressed with both, and while the Performance seemed crazy fast, I did not notice a big difference between the acceleration of the two. In fact, two Tesla salespeople said that if I wasn’t going to race/rally the car, I should go with the Long Range.

Are there disadvantages to the Performance? So far, I’ve heard the following:

1. Reduction in range, especially for lead-footed people like me. Range is always a consideration - not so much for around town when I will charge at night at my house, but on long trips, when extra miles count. Are there any stats on the loss of range between the two cars or personal observations?

2. Lower to the ground. I am all for protecting the battery, but I assume there is a decent skid plate or frame protection. Correct? And I heard that the difference in height from ground between Long Range and Performance is minor. Is the difference noticeable?

3. Price. I do question whether the $10k premium is worth it. At some point, you have to wonder whether the major upgrades are already met in the Long Range and the extra money for Performance does not result in a payoff for the recreational driver. I don’t want to be like those kids that buy Honda’s and put in thousands of dollars worth of performance add-ons, but are still the same Honda models - just with things the average driver doesn’t need.

The carbon wing is nice looking. As for the heavier duty brakes, several Tesla owners have told me that it’s all about regenerative braking in EVs, and that the goal is to not use the brakes except for the final part of stopping or in emergencies. (thus the statement by Elon about never having to have brake work done). That makes the bigger brakes more eye candy if the car won’t be raced, right?.

Anything else distinguishing the two cars that I have missed? Thanks in advance for your responses. - Rob

The
performance has 20 in wheels and high performance P Zero tires which are great for performance driving but probably won’t last as long it also has track mode and drift mode plus data logging in track mode I am on my second one and never had a problem with the height the big brakes are cool and the bragging rights are great,stupid for me at 80 but I just couldn’t go without. I don’t think their is much difference in mge if they are driven the same Might lose a little range due to tires I went to order a 2024 but had my mind changed by the wait and mainly the fact that Tesla would switch my full self driving to the 23 at no charge,they have never done that before.
I bought the new 3 performance and my wife brought a new standard model 3 that was a big deal as she had been driving Prius for about the last 3 cars.
I noticed that hers rides a little better and is not anything like as slow as I thought it would be and it’s fast to her after the Prius.
Don’t think you’ll notice the difference between the long range and the performance unless you put them side by side then you get to say by by.
I love my Tesla and I have always had fast cars, CTSV CADDIES 911 and 928 Porsche Shelby Mustangs ZO6 Corvette this is quicker.
Just a sidebar so on you tube a Tesla S Plaid against a new tricked out Mclearon the Tesla Lon 3 for 3 then as a bonus won again with a 150 lb driver and 3 250lb passengers WOW