Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DQOTD: Can I Order a MYLR with HW4 only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that some HW4 MYLR's are out in the wild, I want one. I suspect the answer is no, but can I order one now and specify HW4 only? Or do I have to wait until the HW3's are all sold/delivered to order to ensure I get an HW4 version?

“Tesla made no formal announcement regarding the roll-out of HW4-equipped vehicles. With HW4 now making its appearance in the Model Y, it seems Tesla has subtly introduced these major upgrades without a formal announcement.”

I guess you could reject the car if it does not include HW4 and go to the bottom of the cue (?)

I would wait until you get the official word from ELMO that refreshed M3/MY are available....
Sort of what I figured, but I can't blame Tesla from trying to move inventory of old before new arrives in large numbers. Same thing I would do if I was them. They're smart to roll out changes without announcing anything, even if it irritates some of the last buyers of the old.

Cool thx. Can you post details of this finding? VIN sequence, trim types, etc.
As I said in an earlier post HW4 has ports for 3 more cameras. Why would you want a more powerful processor that doesn't take advantage of all the other features of it? It's not going to help FSD. WAIT for refresh. EM has figured out that his camera placement for self driving was wrong.. Why are the cameras on the fenders pointing backward? Why don't the rear cameras alert you to cross traffic movement? Be patient and wait for the refresh. I am

As I said in an earlier post HW4 has ports for 3 more cameras. Why would you want a more powerful processor that doesn't take advantage of all the other features of it? It's not going to help FSD. WAIT for refresh. EM has figured out that his camera placement for self driving was wrong.. Why are the cameras on the fenders pointing backward? Why don't the rear cameras alert you to cross traffic movement? Be patient and wait for the refresh. I am
GUYS, HW9.0 is just around the corner. Don’t be sucker, wait for the refresh.

Yeah but let’s say you absolutely need a new car, can afford to wait a month but not a year. Makes sense to wait for HW4 if able.

FWIW, I ordered a demo vehicle back in April 2023, and wasn't able to take delivery, placed my order on hold. Hold released early May 2023, assigned a VIN in late May, scheduled delivery today for 6/17/2023. Yesterday, in trying to see whether it makes more sense to trade my current car in or sell it (2020 Model 3 LR AWD), I received a call from a Tesla rep because "I expressed interest in purchasing a Model Y" lol. I told him I've had a reservation for some time, and probed a little more about delivery and what I'm getting. First, although in the app, it said EDD 6/17 - 6/24, he said on his side he sees an EDD of 6/13. (I've not received any updates in the app from Tesla offering to move delivery date up from earlier than 6/17). I also asked him whether he can confirm if the VIN I have includes HW4, he confirmed it does. It is a 2023 MYLR Midnight Silver/Black/5 seat, vin ending F798788