Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dr Taras' Model S gets customized!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cross Posting this from another thread because I thought it was germaine (or is it Jermaine?):
I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to these wraps, how do they address things like door jambs, or around the inside of the trunk/frunk? Is it still black paint in those areas or are they able to cover those "inside" portions as well? I guess I'm wondering if it looks pretty much like a factory paint job when you've got the doors open.
The true professionals will do the door jams, etc. so yes, it will look like factory paint when you open the doors.
Be careful, tho, when you, your wife/girfriend (or husband/boyfirend) are wearing their stiletto Christian Louboutins as to not poke a hole in the vinyl.
That all being said, in my wrap I asked them to leave the underside of the frunk original color so you could see the 'before' and 'after'.

CYA OPEK (DMV purchased the day after I put a deposit on my Roadster in January, 2007) has now officially been transferred over to The Hun!
That left TESLAsterone (the Roadster) unable to bare the thought of getting a mundane sequential plate.
I went into one of the garage drawers and pulled out of retirement, HOKY FVR which now adorns TESLAsterone!
In fact, last week, while waiting on a guy to come rent the Roadster, a guy came up to me who played major-junior hockey in Canada with "Whitey" Widing!

Hope all is well!
Perhaps you should match HOKY FVR with something she's been waiting for 4 decades!
p13160368dt.jpg

grey molding at the bottom of the car

Following up on another post, one of the things I would have liked to do was to get the cheap grey molding at the bottom of the car,
just above the chrome strip, to be wrapped in the same black matte as the rest of the center of the car,
but the wrapper (not hip hop) said that it would not stay stuck, long term. I've seen others do it. Anyone else have thoughts? :confused:
DSC07021.jpg

DSC07042.jpg

Starting to think that it is a waste of money to get any premium paint on any car & instead wrap it!
I think that paint after-marketers as well as expensive OEM paint options will suffer!

Sorry, but I don't buy this. I would be surprised if a thin vinyl film can look like real paint. If you want something gaudy (don't be offended, you want your car to be noticed), sure... matte black and fake stainless steel can be accomplished with a wrap. The matte white Model S looks amazing, IMO. BUT I can't see how you can get a depth of color and nuance from a thin film.

Following up on another post, one of the things I would have liked to do was to get the cheap grey molding at the bottom of the car,
just above the chrome strip, to be wrapped in the same black matte as the rest of the center of the car,
but the wrapper (not hip hop) said that it would not stay stuck, long term. I've seen others do it. Anyone else have thoughts? :confused:
View attachment 20851
View attachment 20852

I have Carbon Fiber wrap on mine and the wrapper has It warranted for me for 4 years of any defects or peeling

Pics on Page 9 and 10 of http://www.TeslaMotorsClub.com/showthread.php?t=11216

Last edited:
I think these final two touches make The Hun's transformation complete! :cool:
View attachment 20302 View attachment 20303
Now time for the evaluation to begin in earnest!

I'm going to probably be the only person/idiot to ask you this question after all the amazing things you got done to your car but, uh, about them license plates.... How did you get the vintage license plate? I thought those weren't allowed anymore. The car looks great, and although I still have a month until I my Model S gets delivered, I would kill for those vintage black and yellow plates right now.

BUT I can't see how you can get a depth of color and nuance from a thin film.

I agree that that look isn't possible in a wrap. And that look is often very classy and rich in character. Laurent's blue Model S is a fine example.

IMO they are just different styles and looks. I personally prefer the custom pearl Lambo yellow that Elie did on my Roadster to a matte color, and a wrap isn't as well suited to that. But for matte, a wrap is the way to go, methinks. The deep, high-quality paint job gets the "wow" response, whereas the matte (or stainless, or other unexpected finish) gets lots of "cool" responses, and a few "not my bag" responses.

Also, it remains to be seen whether this is a trend, such that in 5 years a matte wrap may look "so 2012."

I have Carbon Fiber wrap on mine and the wrapper has It warranted for me for 4 years of any defects or peeling
Pics on Page 9 and 10 of Planned modifications?
Could not find the pix on pages 8-11. Could you post a link to the post # (upper right hand corner of your post)? :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, but I don't buy this. I would be surprised if a thin vinyl film can look like real paint. If you want something gaudy (don't be offended, you want your car to be noticed), sure... matte black and fake stainless steel can be accomplished with a wrap. The matte white Model S looks amazing, IMO. BUT I can't see how you can get a depth of color and nuance from a thin film.
Prepared to be surprised. Wrap is not just about matte or brushed. They have satin & gloss as well.
Too many people have looked at a wrapped car and like the 'paint' job and never realized that it was a wrap!
My wife started pointing out women's hair extensions which I never knew about and I was floored. Ignorance is bliss!

Check out this 3M palate: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=PPPPPr6wH0cpiuqRl7xsi7qbbs6nb06wEsQPbsQPbPPPPPP--
& check out this Avery (& the interesting choice of marques car) palate: http://graphics.averydennison.com/c...ll-Sheet/29323-AVD-SWF-full-line-sheet-NA.pdf

Now that being said, I'm not saying that premium paint is dead & I understand about the 'depth', :cool:
BUT I stand by my original statement that "paint after-marketers as well as expensive OEM paint options will suffer!"

Check out this video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Newest Mod! Can you spot it? Its not the sunglasses nor the red dot reflection.
20130427_221602_resized.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to probably be the only person/idiot to ask you this question after all the amazing things you got done to your car but, uh, about them license plates.... How did you get the vintage license plate? I thought those weren't allowed anymore. The car looks great, and although I still have a month until I my Model S gets delivered, I would kill for those vintage black and yellow plates right now.
No prob rsmattu... welcome to TMC!
Here is one quick TMC thread that had some other external links as well as a pic from my Roadster.

The law: Your car can have a plate that would have originally come on the car.
In other words if you had a car that was 'born' 1956-1969 (someone will no doubt correct me on the exact years) then your car would have come with the black plate with yellow letters. The 1970s was the blue plate with the yellow letters, etc. That means that a Tesla can not 'ride' with a black plate. It is illegal and is a fix-it ticket and fine.

I know that there are cops who have this on their 'radar' and its cross-department. I was stopped both by LAPD as well as CHP. Each time I noticed that they had time from the rear to process the information so after the last time I decided to put the 'regular' plates on the back and the black plates on the front. Living on the edge! :wink:

Darn that was fast! These TMC-ers are a highly observant bunch! :biggrin:
The Tesla Model S is an amazing car, yet I seemed to have the 'need' to modify it!
The Teslaccessories CCI is an amazing center console (ready NOW), yet I seemed to have the 'need' to modify it!
View attachment 20941

Very cool Dr. T,

Where did you get power for that charge adapter? Did you tap into the USB ports already there, or install a 12V->5V transformer somewhere and tap a new circuit?

Dash-Cam

Today I wanted to point out how I'm loving my "Dash-Cam"
It starts recording visual and sound (tho you can turn off the sound) when the car starts.
When the car is parked, it has a G-force sensor that when activated (car accident when you're not around - AKA, hit & run)
will not allow overwrite of a 70 second loop that includes 10 seconds before the accident and about 60 seconds afterwards & it will give you an alert.
There is a wealth of info on their very comprehensive web site.
Here is a picture of Al & Ed's install:
DSC07116.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder when we're gonna see the first Model S wrapped in chrome vinyl like this one
Truth be told, and this will come as no surprise to most, that was going to be my original color with the black matte
but the the brushed aluminum replaced it when the wrapper pleaded not to use it! Seems it is VERY prone to scratching
& too many people take it off after a few months because of it. He has them sign a waiver, only for that color, that he disclosed that.
IF you have a car that is a 'garage-queen' then he'll recommend it, BUT my car is my daily driver.
Life's how you handle Plan B! :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you get power for that charge adapter? Did you tap into the USB ports already there, or install a 12V->5V transformer somewhere and tap a new circuit?
Honestly, I'm not a DIY guy so I'm not sure. I do know that he did NOT take any of my USB outlets away. Hope that helps, otherwise you can contact Elie over at Al & Ed's-WeHo.

Here are my own <60 sec videos that were made by the Dash-Cam. I should note that before I had it start for the very 1st time, I was supposed to hold one of the buttons down for 10 seconds to reset the GPS & time so that it was off on the recording. Other than that, youtube has told me that the night time version was playing "Train" and so has been copyright-blocked in Germany! Sorry Germany! Also, can you catch my 'yawn' in the night one? Lastly, the volume is a little high, so turn down your speakers!

Last edited by a moderator: