Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dr Taras' Model S gets customized!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what I think about the reflection of the 17" in the 2nd video. Also, the camera looks big in your picture (than I was imagining for getting one in my vehicle).

What was the final tally for your camera install (rounded to the nearest $100 is fine) if you're willing to share?

Look at this Darwin-fail: :scared:

- - - Updated - - -

Thats very cool Dr Taras, how do you download the video?
BlackVue has highly intuitive software available for free. You can download the app onto your iPhone or Android & then WiFi stream live wireless to your phone.
You can also remove the microSD card from the BlackVue & plug it into your computer. They have free viewing software there too or you can just use any MP4 player.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got the same camera (in the same mounting location). Where did they tap into constant 12v in the cabin? I've only found ACC power...
Honestly, I'm not a DIY guy so I'm not sure. You can contact Elie over at Al & Ed's-WeHo.

- - - Updated - - -

the camera looks big in your picture (than I was imagining for getting one in my vehicle).
I suppose you can see the camera, but not sure why you'd be looking through that space unless you were watching that news helicopter who was following you like O.J. :wink:
and he left your pano-roof view and not quite fully in your windshield view, but here's a pano-view of the cockpit for perspective:
DSC07069.jpg

What was the final tally for your camera install (rounded to the nearest $100 is fine) if you're willing to share?
Gosh, not sure as it was part of the package. With all that I did, he probably threw the install in!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the additional picture. I think the first one perspective through me off a bit. It looks much more palatable size-wise in this new picture.

Have you tried recording a rear-facing video yet? I'm curious if it works easily and whether you like the results.

Random additional note: I wish they had a Windows Phone app.

MobilEye

The MobilEye System is for collision avoidance.
"Using sophisticated vision algorithms, Mobileye’s collision avoidance technology is able to ‘interpret’ a scene in real-time and provide drivers with an immediate evaluation based on its analysis."
It is constantly monitoring the lanes and objects in front of you, the way the 3rd eye of K.I.T.T. of Knight Rider fame would do.
It tells you when you're wondering out of your lane or coming up upon an object to quickly.

It was 'sold' to me as yet another tool that would improve my driving by 'bio'-feedback loop mechanisms.
In fact, I think it is making it easier for me to text and drive (okay, I don't really do that and don't condone it :cursing:)
because I rely on MobilEye to alert me whilst I'm looking at my phone! :scared:

DSC07113.jpg

DSC07107.jpg
DSC07106.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried recording a rear-facing video yet?
There were options for that and I chose not to get them.
Certain things that you do in your car that are akin to certain things you do in an elevator and just shouldn't be caught on video! :redface:

HOV Sticker - CAUTIONARY Tale

I posted this over on the dadaleus TMC thread but I thought it was an important cautionary tale for me to post here as well:
When I was applying the HOV stickers, I too lined up the curve of the right side of the sticker with the curve of the wheel well.
Perfect, right? Somehow, when I stepped back, as in this picture of yours as well, it seems that the sticker is pointed up & to the right. :confused:
If I were to do it over, I would have backed the sticker back to the left (rear) and then lowered the right end of the sticker down
more so that the writing looks like it is aligned parallel with either the road or at least the lower lines of the car (so instead of the writing going up, maybe slightly down).

Now of course there are complete threads with people UPSET that some of us even applied the HOV stickers to the car;
that's a totally different discussion (which I'm willing to have), but this is a cautionary tale for those who DO want to put the HOV stickers on your car!
I think mine are not as noticeable (& slightly improved over dadaleus) because I don't have a wide shot which I'll post later

To every one their own I suppose. Assuming putting the stickers on at all, I like the way I aligned them. I carefully made them level with the road. I see why you say it looks like it's pointing up, but I actually tried to make the flat part perfectly aligned with the ground, not the curve of the wheel well.

This was my third car with stickers (gold on my Prius, then white on my Roadster and now my Model S) and I found that I felt aligning with the ground and putting it close to the wheel (so you don't see all 3 stickers from the back) was most aesthetically pleasing -- to me at least.

I like the way I aligned them. I carefully made them level with the road. I see why you say it looks like it's pointing up, but I actually tried to make the flat part perfectly aligned with the ground, not the curve of the wheel well.
Oops... okay. Then kudos to you because I thought you that you did a perfect job at aligning it flush with the bend of that wheel well. This 'art' is definitely a 31-flavors analogy :redface:

Appreciate all the advice. I am now considering adding the following 1) blind spot detectors 2) lighting for the trunk and 3) blackvue dashcam
did you consider a rear cam as well?
i assume they are legal in Ca?
i also just got my HOV stickers and need to install the fastrax transponder. I am monitoring the threads

Tesla "Carved" Floor Mats For Sale

OK, Here I go: I ordered a set of the front and rear floor mats from them based on the pictures Taras posted. I have to say they are the best I have EVER seen. Two colors of carpet matched together to form the 'T" and then nicely trimmed to accentuate the T. The whole bottom is a rubber that will not let liquid through with continuous extruding points about every 3/4 inch to make sure it does not slip. Great work. Not cheap , but worth it for something that you see every day, and the first thing someone sees when they step into your car. Great Job A &E !!
Lloyd had some great photos, up close, of the mats he got on this TMC post in this thread.
Here are some further away pictures. A Teslaficionado recently got in my car and couldn't stop touching the 'T'! :eek:
"Are you praying to Nicola Tesla?" I asked & they replied: "No, I can't get over how plush the 'T' is like its carved out of the fabric of the mat!"

DSC07055.jpg

DSC07094.jpg
DSC07097.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Appreciate all the advice. I am now considering adding the following 1) blind spot detectors 2) lighting for the trunk and 3) blackvue dashcam
did you consider a rear cam as well?
i assume they are legal in Ca?
i also just got my HOV stickers and need to install the fastrax transponder. I am monitoring the threads
  1. Let me get back to you on the blind spot
  2. MUST!
  3. Love it! May be a novelty item (AKA, waste of money) until one day, G-d forbid, I need it! Kind of like insurance.
  4. Rear Cam comes in two flavors: Dual-cam which shoot pix out of the front and rear of the SAME camera & two SEPARATE cameras mounted one on the front windshield and the other on the back windshield. I suppose you could also mount them on the side windows and the Pano-roof as well. :mad: I never thought twice about NOT buying the camera that had took video out of the front and back of the SAME camera. I mentioned about not wanting to capture video in the same way, you don't want video in an elevator when you're alone. That's my private time in car. I had considered the rear windshield mount as well, but we'll circle back to that one in the future.
  5. Legal in CA? I think so, or maybe I didn't check because ignorance is bliss, kind of like the LASER diffusers. :wink: Things that make you go hmmmm. I know that there is another thread on TMC somewhere that discusses the ramifications in different states about 2-person consent to being videotaped even in public places. That being said, there is a small flashing 'recording' light that faces forward and is visible from the outside. I placed a black piece of electrical tape over it. Disclosure of me videotaping should be on MY terms.

- - - Updated - - -

#firstworldproblems :)
Love it! :tongue:
Hey, I didn't say I stopped working on 'poverty in the inner city' & 'education' issues to tackle this beast of a problem!

To every one their own I suppose. Assuming putting the stickers on at all, I like the way I aligned them. I carefully made them level with the road. I see why you say it looks like it's pointing up, but I actually tried to make the flat part perfectly aligned with the ground, not the curve of the wheel well.

This was my third car with stickers (gold on my Prius, then white on my Roadster and now my Model S) and I found that I felt aligning with the ground and putting it close to the wheel (so you don't see all 3 stickers from the back) was most aesthetically pleasing -- to me at least.

Yeah, it's really tricky. I used a laser level to ensure that my stickers were level, and even so from some angles the rear one looks like it's on a slant because the lines of the car nearby slope away from it, and your eye gets confused. :frown: I put my side stickers on a bit higher up and farther back than you did, and they seem to read pretty level compared to my rear sticker.

It still irks me that we can't just get EV plates.