Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy GPS Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As mentioned upthread, the Model 3 is not really traction limited (with current software). Sticker rubber / lighter wheels don’t significantly change the 0-60 times. Well, there is this example. He went from 20” PS4S to stickier tires / lighter wheels (saving 9 lbs per corner) and dropped his 0-60 by a whopping 0.08sec.

True, but independent of traction a lower inertia wheel/tire allows faster acceleration given the same kW input. The question is what metric does Tesla use to limit the drive units. It might for example be simply peak amps or a more complicated map of amps at a given rpm.

...what metric does Tesla use to limit the drive units. It might for example be simply peak amps...
On the Model S, Tesla has different torque limits for different S models. This determines power for the first two seconds. Then the battery output determines power for the next several seconds. Then the physical motor constraints at various rpm levels, influenced a little by battery amperage, determine the high speed power.

The model 3 RWD behaves the same way. The biggest difference being that the motor constraints happen much earlier, right after peak power. Another way of thinking about this is that the Model S motors have more low end headroom for future bigger batteries, and that the 3 RWD is more evenly balanced.

We don't have good data on the 3 AWD or P variants yet.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Sg911
On the Model S, Tesla has different torque limits for different S models. This determines power for the first two seconds. Then the battery output determines power for the next several seconds. Then the physical motor constraints at various rpm levels, influenced a little by battery amperage, determine the high speed power.

The model 3 RWD behaves the same way. The biggest difference being that the motor constraints happen much earlier, right after peak power. Another way of thinking about this is that the Model S motors have more low end headroom for future bigger batteries, and that the 3 RWD is more evenly balanced.

We don't have good data on the 3 AWD or P variants yet.
My metric seat of my pants o meter blood rush to my head and vision went blurry speed is....its f’n fasssst! Lol

My metric seat of my pants o meter blood rush to my head and vision went blurry speed is....its f’n fasssst! Lol
That is an important metric. Unfortunately we have already had some "sky is falling" "Tesla nerfed my car" moments which are hard to put down without real data, especially since Tesla is not infallible in this regard, having limited the early 90kW batteries once.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sg911
Ho
That is an important metric. Unfortunately we have already had some "sky is falling" "Tesla nerfed my car" moments which are hard to put down without real data, especially since Tesla is not infallible in this regard, having limited the S90 batteries once.
Hopefully :rolleyes:they’ve learned from their issues , and will continue to keep customers interested, and excited, and enthusiastic about dealing with them .... which I am NOT based on my buying process !