Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone got data on LR at rolling speeds? eg 60-130 times, 50-80, 30-50, that sort of thing?
It seems to me that losing a second 0-60 is tolerable if the rolling acceleration (unto about the legal limit) is still stunningly fast...
PS I can't believe I'm considering the LR! Two months ago, it was Plaid+ all the way :)

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
some of you might find this interesting. It takes 1400 HP for an extremely modified C8 corvette to run a low 9 second 1/4. And, be assured, the engine and/or trans will blow up in this car soon. Enjoy this new game-changing technology from Tesla!

some of you might find this interesting. It takes 1400 HP for an extremely modified C8 corvette to run a low 9 second 1/4. And, be assured, the engine and/or trans will blow up in this car soon. Enjoy this new game-changing technology from Tesla!

Not disagreeing with your point on the C8 and big‘ish power, but something does not ad up with that compared to other cars. Built R35 GTRs with 1,400whp are low 8 second cars and some of the lighter ones are high 7s. Even at only 1,100whp, they are solid 8 second cars at over 160mph, but they are a mature well supported platform unlike the C8 At this point. I have a 1,600whp GTR street car that I just finished the build on, and it will go low 8s to high 7s at over 170 mph (Going to the track this fall when the weather cools a bit). I pickup my Plaid this coming Wed., but am keeping the GTR. It’s far faster than the Plaid, and I did the build myself.

With that said, the plaid will do it’s business (low 9s is still serious business imho) anywhere, on regular street tires, discreetly, and with virtually no fear of breaking it. How could I not get one?! Can’t wait!

Not disagreeing with your point on the C8 and big‘ish power, but something does not ad up with that compared to other cars. Built R35 GTRs with 1,400whp are low 8 second cars and some of the lighter ones are high 7s. Even at only 1,100whp, they are solid 8 second cars at over 160mph, but they are a mature well supported platform unlike the C8 At this point. I have a 1,600whp GTR street car that I just finished the build on, and it will go low 8s to high 7s at over 170 mph (Going to the track this fall when the weather cools a bit). I pickup my Plaid this coming Wed., but am keeping the GTR. It’s far faster than the Plaid, and I did the build myself.

With that said, the plaid will do it’s business (low 9s is still serious business imho) anywhere, on regular street tires, discreetly, and with virtually no fear of breaking it. How could I not get one?! Can’t wait!

Good point. I am not sure that the 1400 number is whp, or engine? either way I agree that it should be in the 8's with that power level and I too attribute it to the C8 still being a relatively new platform. I think a GTR is a much faster modded car in general compared to the corvettes however. I've had so many bad experiences with modding that I personally am just turned off from it at this point. But it sounds like you have quite an amazing GTR at 1600 whp!!

Good point. I am not sure that the 1400 number is whp, or engine? either way I agree that it should be in the 8's with that power level and I too attribute it to the C8 still being a relatively new platform. I think a GTR is a much faster modded car in general compared to the corvettes however. I've had so many bad experiences with modding that I personally am just turned off from it at this point. But it sounds like you have quite an amazing GTR at 1600 whp!!
Agreed with your points, and that has got to be at the engine, or perhaps the DCT clutches are slipping.

If I did not do the work myself, and thus not have strict control over the QC process, I don’t think I’d want to deal with a fully built car of any make, especially a GTR. If you get it right, it is an extremely potent and reasonably reliable street/track weapon. There are a fair amount of shops out there that do not get it right, and the customer pays for it.

To have such respectable performance in a regular quiet car (plaid), with a warranty, is just amazing. It is going to serve as my gate keeper for those pesky guys that want to call out my GTR with their 800whp blower cars. If they can beat my Plaid, they get to line up with the GTR, kind of like the role of the Farm Truck on Street Outlaws, haha.

Agreed with your points. If I did not do the work myself, and thus not have strict control over the QC process, I don’t think I’d want to deal with a fully built car of any make.

To have such respectable performance in a regular quiet car (plaid), with a warranty, is just amazing. It is going to serve as my gate keeper for those pesky guys that want to call out my GTR with their 800whp blower cars. If they can beat my Plaid, they get to line up with the GTR, kind of like the role of the Farm Truck on Street Outlaws, haha.

Yes, you have a nice collection of weapons. About as good as it gets I would say. Your "small" gun is probably good enough against 99.9%. Then for that pesky $&$#&, pull out the "big" gun! I love it.

Agreed with your points, and that has got to be at the engine, or perhaps the DCT clutches are slipping.

If I did not do the work myself, and thus not have strict control over the QC process, I don’t think I’d want to deal with a fully built car of any make, especially a GTR. If you get it right, it is an extremely potent and reasonably reliable street/track weapon. There are a fair amount of shops out there that do not get it right, and the customer pays for it.

Do you have a setup like this?!

Do you have a setup like this?!

That AMS build and article are over 8 years old, and things have come along way since then. That was the top maximum effort GTR build back in 2013, and was far from a street car. It had far larger turbos than mine and older aero design turbos, so it would be so damn laggy at that HP (around 2,000whp), nobody would want to drive that on the street. Those turbos won’t even get out of vacuum until over 6k RPMs with meaningful boost coming in at over 7k, if even there. We now have GTRs running 6s in the quarter at over 200mph on smaller turbos lol.

My car is built with current technology, uses Garret GTX3582 genII turbos, and those are at the limit I would want for a street car with good drivability on a 4.1 liter stroker motor. It’s important to note that I built my car to be first and foremost a good driving street car that will occasionally go to the track. If I choose to go over 1,600-1,800whp, things will get exponentially more expensive with far more breakage. Nah, I’m good at 1,600whp and 1,182 ft/lbs of torque, I took the money saved by stopping at this power level, and bought me a shiny new Model S Plaid.

We have something better than 19s. We have the world’s first 18” drag setup :eek:.

Very very specific PLAID specs to clear rear brakes and suspension geometry. After countless measurements pre and post wheel delivery to the owner; believe us when we say no other 18” will fit and we have pics to prove it.

Videos and slips coming soon ;).
03C32C12-AFA4-4AF3-B8D2-A1681B53B910.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought the tests were done with different cars. If so, its likely the car and not solely the rim size.
Sure and I agree. But people lately were speculating that the 19s would be a few tenth behind because of narrower contact patch and less sticky tires. If that is the case, then he’s got one hell of a freak car.

At some point someone will test and swap and retest and we’ll know for sure. Assuming he didn’t get a freak car, we can assume that at worst, the 19s are equal to the 21s, at best a tiny bit quicker.