Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plaid with 56% SOC , 21' wheels , and my 15 year old son in the car too . No Cheetah launch control either .I was still shocked how fast it went with 2 people and such of low SOC.
Screenshot_20210907-160444_dragy.jpg
Screenshot_20210907-160231_dragy.jpg

Plaid with 56% SOC , 21' wheels , and my 15 year old son in the car too . No Cheetah launch control either .I was still shocked how fast it went with 2 people and such of low SOC.
View attachment 706430View attachment 706431
By the time I'm down to 56% SoC, my P85DL feels like it's lost about 0.5 to 0.7 sec from its 90%+ SoC performance levels.

You're basically halfway between 90% and 20% (you probably shouldn't "push" at 20% or below). If it can still muster 2.6 to 2.7 at 21%-30%, that is awesome.

Well, just got my Dragy. Did a quick run before dark. Running on cold 19s. I did select drag strip mode. When I made the run, it said I had seven minutes left. Anyways, here’s my first and only valid run. Thoughts?
@WilliamG

View attachment 707001
Ok so that looks like a 2.1 flat time with optimal conditions. Maybe even only a few tenths behind the 21s. Looking good! I suspect 9.25 or 9.3 in the quarter after seeing this.

Reactions: jebinc
Ok so that looks like a 2.1 flat time with optimal conditions. Maybe even only a few tenths behind the 21s. Looking good! I suspect 9.25 or 9.3 in the quarter after seeing this.
I guess not too bad for a first time, novice launch on a relatively flat surface, running cold 19s and no full launch control or cheetah mode. 🤣

Nah, set up and launched correctly, it should do better than one with boat anchors attached to each corner, me thinks. 😂
It's really important to remember 2 things on that front: the first being the less contact patch from the skinnier tires. In a car with this much torque and power, every minute level of traction matters.
Even barring that, remember: if the 19s were truly faster, MotorTrend would've had those at their tests. They aren't going to give the slower car to the press, even if it's 2 or 3 tenths, as the bad press and clickbait title would surely happen then. It may end up being dead even, but if it's harder to achieve and less consistent, that would have the same effect.

Reactions: jebinc
It's really important to remember 2 things on that front: the first being the less contact patch from the skinnier tires. In a car with this much torque and power, every minute level of traction matters.
Even barring that, remember: if the 19s were truly faster, MotorTrend would've had those at their tests. They aren't going to give the slower car to the press, even if it's 2 or 3 tenths, as the bad press and clickbait title would surely happen then. It may end up being dead even, but if it's harder to achieve and less consistent, that would have the same effect.
In that case they should have used the track pack wheels and tires. This pack will probably hit the infamous 1,99sec on a regular basis and get in the 9.1xsec trap.

19s weren’t around either, IIRC.
Correct. But those had already likely completed testing, and were likely available at that point. Even if they weren't, Tesla would've very likely made them available. Manufacturers have been giving optimized press cars to magazines for years. We'll have to see what the real world results are for the 19s. My personal guess for these times are that they are nearly identical, but much less consistent, and so Tesla wanted the 21s. As we've seen, MT clearly did not try hard at all with the Plaid's performance testing, (with DragTimes getting 1.99 and 9.23 on the street), so imagine if they did that with the 19s. :)

Reactions: AMGF