Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have thought of that too but TBH, I think the base LR is already eating into Plaid sales. It doesn't seem that far off the performance of the outgoing performance model, and better in some areas.

Also seems like a lot of Plaids in inventory too the last time I checked. For the performance you get with the Plaid compared to other cars it is a pretty good deal but the LR I think is an even better one.

I probably would have considered the Plaid more originally if it didn't cost about 50% more than the LR when I ordered mine. I forget the exact delta but it was something along the lines of 40-50k. I don't need the whole Plaid but I wouldn't mind a bit quicker LR. Give me low 10's and I am happy.
I had a P100D before the Plaid and I’d say the new LR is a better performer for sure, particularly at higher speeds

Still keep hoping they will come up with a boost option for the LR at some point... Knock a half second in the 1/4 mile, make it a solid 10.4 car and 0-60 about 2.7 with rollout, and make it 5k or less and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
I seriously doubt they will do that without first offering it for the Plaid. They have to keep significant differences between the two models. I hope they do both though.

I had a P100D before the Plaid and I’d say the new LR is a better performer for sure, particularly at higher speeds
It’s pretty clear that the refreshed LR pulls harder up top based on the fact that it’s about 0.5 seconds slower to 60 mph and yet traps 3-5 mph higher in the 1/4 mile.

I have thought of that too but TBH, I think the base LR is already eating into Plaid sales. It doesn't seem that far off the performance of the outgoing performance model, and better in some areas.

Also seems like a lot of Plaids in inventory too the last time I checked. For the performance you get with the Plaid compared to other cars it is a pretty good deal but the LR I think is an even better one.

I probably would have considered the Plaid more originally if it didn't cost about 50% more than the LR when I ordered mine. I forget the exact delta but it was something along the lines of 40-50k. I don't need the whole Plaid but I wouldn't mind a bit quicker LR. Give me low 10's and I am happy.
Looks like Tesla's product differentiation is spot on the money.

I drive my wife's LR from time to time and am blown away at how amazingly quick/fast the car is. All of that for $80k (early order); it is just astounding.

If I had it all to do again, I would be VERY tempted to just go LR and do everything I could to drop unsprung weight. It really is a perfect daily driver. Hats off to all who wrestled with Plaid v. LR and went LR.

Looks like Tesla's product differentiation is spot on the money.

I drive my wife's LR from time to time and am blown away at how amazingly quick/fast the car is. All of that for $80k (early order); it is just astounding.

If I had it all to do again, I would be VERY tempted to just go LR and do everything I could to drop unsprung weight. It really is a perfect daily driver. Hats off to all who wrestled with Plaid v. LR and went LR.
I went with the LR for our Y rather than the P. We originally had a P on order but after way too much deliberation went with the Y and added boost. Then ended up slapping on some lightweight forged wheels. Honestly I liked it better than the MYP. Maybe a bit slower off the line to about 25 but from on up it is as fast, if not faster, and the rides quality is far better and just makes for a nice daily driver. Never ever regretted not getting the MYP.

It has taken a lot of year to not just by the fastest version automatically. It was hard when I saw how quick the Plaid was though. I was tempted a lot of times but when I started diving into it, and really looking at how I planned to use it, my logic was if they made the Plaid that much quicker, the LR shouldn't be that far off with about 300 less hp. Thankfully that panned out and the performance looks to be spot on for what I want in a straight car and it doesn't lay down at higher speeds like most Teslas do.

I'll end up slapping some lightweight wheels on it, maybe ppl and tint and call it a day. The cost will still be low enough my wife won't likely even notice it. I have learned to socialize everything WAY in advance with her. Now Dragy and I are just waiting impatiently for the LR to show up. I hope the 3.6 0-60 one member ran is the only outlier...

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I went with the LR for our Y rather than the P. We originally had a P on order but after way too much deliberation went with the Y and added boost. Then ended up slapping on some lightweight forged wheels. Honestly I liked it better than the MYP. Maybe a bit slower off the line to about 25 but from on up it is as fast, if not faster, and the rides quality is far better and just makes for a nice daily driver. Never ever regretted not getting the MYP.

It has taken a lot of year to not just by the fastest version automatically. It was hard when I saw how quick the Plaid was though. I was tempted a lot of times but when I started diving into it, and really looking at how I planned to use it, my logic was if they made the Plaid that much quicker, the LR shouldn't be that far off with about 300 less hp. Thankfully that panned out and the performance looks to be spot on for what I want in a straight car and it doesn't lay down at higher speeds like most Teslas do.

I'll end up slapping some lightweight wheels on it, maybe ppl and tint and call it a day. The cost will still be low enough my wife won't likely even notice it. I have learned to socialize everything WAY in advance with her. Now Dragy and I are just waiting impatiently for the LR to show up. I hope the 3.6 0-60 one member ran is the only outlier...
3.6 0-60 can’t be right unless Tesla is severely neutering it off the line. It’s 1/4 time would easily put it in the sub 3 second range

That matches what I was seeing. The main thing I was looking for was the MYLR to be at least faster (by a few tenths) than the M3P to 60 and then pull it pretty well on up. That was my hope going in at the time of ordering. When I saw that 3.6 it has/had me worrying a bit.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Does the Lucid remind you of the BEV equivalent of an old Buick Electra in a way but brought into the 22nd century? It just gives me the old geezer from Naples, Florida vibe. Maybe it is the color on this one. As an aeronautical engineer I appreciate all the work that went into it, but some angles it just has an old Buick feel to me.

Finally made it through all 58 pages! Thanks for the entertainment while I eagerly anticipate my Plaid delivery (hopefully in February).

Has anyone seen any results using the forged 19" Martian MW05 wheels on a Plaid yet? 19

At 22.5 lbs and 23.5 lbs, they're claiming 30% weight reduction vs the stock 19" wheels, so I'm hoping to see some slight performance improvements when I get mine installed, even though I'll be using the stock Pirelli tires which aren't as favoured here vs the PS4Ss. I don't see any weight specs on the Signature Wheels website, so I'm curious what the weight difference is between those and the Martians.

One thing I like about the Martians is that they're the exact same specs as the stock Tempest wheels, so I can swap my stock tires onto them, plus the Tesla centre caps fit for a more stock look.

Unfortunately, these will be my summer wheels, so I won't be able to test them until April.

Brooks says 1100+ wheel HP on IG...

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.37.55 PM.png